Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gonzalez Support Thread

Mehean, Judy2291, New Blew

Thank You:girl_hug:.

I saw Dr. G. yesterday for a fill. Laura mentioned that you (Mehean) had recently been in. This is my 2nd fill. I took 6cc on the first and 2.1cc on this one. I'm nicely restricted. But as we were driving home in the RV, I went into throw-up-mode. My body kept regurgitating but only a little slim would come up. I'm barely eating anything. I figure if I can still drink Water, it's all fine with me. About time I lost some weight!!!:clap2:

Judy2291 losing 10 pounds in a month is a fantastic loss. I'll bet those extra five will melt off. You don't feel much restriction? That is how I was after first fill.

I hope you are feeling better sunshine, did you eat too fast? Sometimes it takes a couple of days of liquids after the fills to get back in your routine, I usually can keep eating normally just a little slower and with a WHOLE LOT of chewing. Take good care of yourself!

Newblew, wish you the best and hope everything turns out great for you.

:)The whole experience was really great although I wish I had been able to have someone come with me. But I made it through ok on my own.

Laura picked me up at the airport and took me to the hotel. I thought that the hotel was very nice. Then I went and met with Dr. Gonzalez and Dr. Valenzuela. I specifically asked about his rate of erosion and he told me that it was between 1-2%. I found that reassuring although I don't know that I'm comfortable with the fact that he treats erosion with acid reducers. From all of my research so far, it seems to me that the only treatment for erosion is removal. He acknowledges that is one way to treat it, but he does it a different way. So at this point, I'm crossing my fingers that I don't erode and have to find another doctor to take out the band.

But that is a minor, minor, possibility, and based on the rest of my experience, I have the utmost confidence in his practice. The clinic reminded me of the plastice surgery clinics in Nip/Tuck. Very comfortable - people checking in on you all of the time.

I enjoyed my night at the hotel. Room service was very nice - they brought up my Soup and salad on china with cloth napkins and a little vase of flowers - very snazzy! The one thing that I hadn't counted on was not getting cell phone service in Tijuana. It worked fine in San Diego but once I cross the border - nothing! That kind of put me in a tizzy because I really wanted to talk to my family. Then I tried to call from the hotel, but it wouldn't work because I had to go downstairs and put a deposit down. Then I had to have the operator call, but my husband didn't recognize the number so he let it go to voice mail.....this was the only time I really came close to losing it. But I left a message and he called me back very shortly. I got to talk to him and the kids and I felt normal again:)

On Friday, I arrived at the clinic at 8:00 and was on the operating table just before 10:00. I think that I woke up between 1:00 and 2:00. From the beginning, the pain wasn't really bad. Dr. G even asked me "Why do you have no pain?" I told him "I guess it's because you're just that good!"

I was walking all over the place and sucking down gas strips to alleviate as much of that as I could. One funny translation story. Like I said, the nurses were very kind and knew more English than I knew Spanish so I was grateful for their help. But at aroud 8:00 I asked one of the nurse for an extra pillow. I told her that I wanted to prop up aginst my stomach to help with the gas. She checked with someone who asked, "Is it for sleeping or gas". I said "gas because that's what I was going to use it for." So then they told me no - I just had to walk and blow in the blue lung machine to help with the gas. So while I lumbered back to my bed, incredibly annoyed and wondering what the hell and extra pillow was going to do to hinder my recovery, I realized that they though I was asking for medication (a pill) not a pillow. But I am nothing if not determined, so the next time someone wandered into check on me, I used my prop - Can I please have another pillow? No problem - I had it in less than a minute.

By late evening, (around 10:00) I was starting to feel pretty uncomfortable and the nurse brought me a sleeping pill and pain meds, and that's all she wrote until about 6:30 this morning. I showered, walked some more and waiting for discharge from Dr. G. He checked me out around 9:00, I picked up my prescriptions downstairs and then a van came and picked me up to go to the airport.

I was a little nervous about the border crossing because my first flight was at 12:35, but I was at the airport by 11:00 am and arrived in Phila at 10:00 pm.

I feel like I got punched in the stomach multiple times, but I don't think that I have much gas. Thank goodness! My plan is to go into work on Monday and I think that is definitely do-able.

Also, a note for anyone who pays through paypal. Start the process early! I used paypal because there are no extra fees and I put the payment through on Tuesday. My credit card company held it up because it's a new card - so I call them and then my husband called paypal and all was good. But Thursday when I got there, Laura said that they had gotten an email saying it was on hold through Paypal. So that resulted in more multiple phone calls and emails to paypal. The payment finally came through Friday morning at 6:00 - whew! I can't say that I don't want them to protect my money so thoroughly, but I was getting a little nervous!

So that's the news on this front. DH did pick up the tree, so I will be spending tomorrow decorating it with the family - yay!

Thanks for all of your support!:P

Newblew:)

:help:Did any of you have trouble with those? I crushed the first one in some sugar free Jello, but it tasted so nasty, that I was worried that it was going to come right back up. I can not do that again! I'm thinking that if I break it into four small pieces and then just swalow them one at a time with Water that I might have better luck. Anything other ideas that worked for you?

Thanks,

Newblue

NewBlew

That antibiotic tastes BITTER:wof: I ended up putting them in a little pudding and swollow down.

I'm :rockon:happy that you are officially a bandster.

Sounds like a lot of your worries were taken care of. My cell worked in MX the service is Alltel. Sprint also works as far as I know. Glad to hear that you are back and all went well.

Cristine YNG

What started all this off was taking my pills without breaking them up. Before the fill I could eat anything and take the pills whole. Not so now. I think they may have ulcerated something....i'm getting better each day.

:)The whole experience was really great although I wish I had been able to have someone come with me. But I made it through ok on my own.

Laura picked me up at the airport and took me to the hotel. I thought that the hotel was very nice. Then I went and met with Dr. Gonzalez and Dr. Valenzuela. I specifically asked about his rate of erosion and he told me that it was between 1-2%. I found that reassuring although I don't know that I'm comfortable with the fact that he treats erosion with acid reducers. From all of my research so far, it seems to me that the only treatment for erosion is removal. He acknowledges that is one way to treat it, but he does it a different way. So at this point, I'm crossing my fingers that I don't erode and have to find another doctor to take out the band.

But that is a minor, minor, possibility, and based on the rest of my experience, I have the utmost confidence in his practice. The clinic reminded me of the plastice surgery clinics in Nip/Tuck. Very comfortable - people checking in on you all of the time.

I enjoyed my night at the hotel. Room service was very nice - they brought up my Soup and salad on china with cloth napkins and a little vase of flowers - very snazzy! The one thing that I hadn't counted on was not getting cell phone service in Tijuana. It worked fine in San Diego but once I cross the border - nothing! That kind of put me in a tizzy because I really wanted to talk to my family. Then I tried to call from the hotel, but it wouldn't work because I had to go downstairs and put a deposit down. Then I had to have the operator call, but my husband didn't recognize the number so he let it go to voice mail.....this was the only time I really came close to losing it. But I left a message and he called me back very shortly. I got to talk to him and the kids and I felt normal again:)

On Friday, I arrived at the clinic at 8:00 and was on the operating table just before 10:00. I think that I woke up between 1:00 and 2:00. From the beginning, the pain wasn't really bad. Dr. G even asked me "Why do you have no pain?" I told him "I guess it's because you're just that good!"

I was walking all over the place and sucking down gas strips to alleviate as much of that as I could. One funny translation story. Like I said, the nurses were very kind and knew more English than I knew Spanish so I was grateful for their help. But at aroud 8:00 I asked one of the nurse for an extra pillow. I told her that I wanted to prop up aginst my stomach to help with the gas. She checked with someone who asked, "Is it for sleeping or gas". I said "gas because that's what I was going to use it for." So then they told me no - I just had to walk and blow in the blue lung machine to help with the gas. So while I lumbered back to my bed, incredibly annoyed and wondering what the hell and extra pillow was going to do to hinder my recovery, I realized that they though I was asking for medication (a pill) not a pillow. But I am nothing if not determined, so the next time someone wandered into check on me, I used my prop - Can I please have another pillow? No problem - I had it in less than a minute.

By late evening, (around 10:00) I was starting to feel pretty uncomfortable and the nurse brought me a sleeping pill and pain meds, and that's all she wrote until about 6:30 this morning. I showered, walked some more and waiting for discharge from Dr. G. He checked me out around 9:00, I picked up my prescriptions downstairs and then a van came and picked me up to go to the airport.

I was a little nervous about the border crossing because my first flight was at 12:35, but I was at the airport by 11:00 am and arrived in Phila at 10:00 pm.

I feel like I got punched in the stomach multiple times, but I don't think that I have much gas. Thank goodness! My plan is to go into work on Monday and I think that is definitely do-able.

Also, a note for anyone who pays through paypal. Start the process early! I used paypal because there are no extra fees and I put the payment through on Tuesday. My credit card company held it up because it's a new card - so I call them and then my husband called paypal and all was good. But Thursday when I got there, Laura said that they had gotten an email saying it was on hold through Paypal. So that resulted in more multiple phone calls and emails to paypal. The payment finally came through Friday morning at 6:00 - whew! I can't say that I don't want them to protect my money so thoroughly, but I was getting a little nervous!

So that's the news on this front. DH did pick up the tree, so I will be spending tomorrow decorating it with the family - yay!

Thanks for all of your support!:)

Newblew:)

Welcome NewBlew, it's when you have the band that the work really begins, you'll reach goal weight sooner than you think! Glad to hear you had a good experience, that's pretty much how it all went for me. Did you finish decorating your Xmas tree?

Sunshine it looks like you got a little confident with taking the big pills. Some of those you really have to cut up in two or three pieces. Have you done better so far? No more heaving?

Thanks for your kind words Christine and NM. I did decorate my tree on Sunday and headed back to work on Monday. I'm fine for most of the day, but I do find myself petering out at around 4:00. But by 6:00, I'm on my sofa vegging for the evening, so I feel like I'm getting a little better everyday.

I can't stand this metallic taste in the back of my mouth. I don't know whether it is ketosis or just a lack of food, but it is nasty - it even kept me up last night. I know that I need to start eating(drinking) more and getting some calories in. The weight loss is great and I even feel like I can see a change in my face already, but there's no need to do it all before Christmas!

Only two more days on the antibiotic - thank God! Better get back to work - just wanted to check in.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

I'm glad to hear that everyone is doing so well...

I did go in and get my second fill about 5 weeks ago or so. I am definitely feeling restriction and all is well here.

As for the pills, I cut mine in half for the first week or so, and then I was back to normal. Won't be long! :) Happy holidays all!

NewBlew,

Don't want to scare you or anything. I have Chronic Kidney Disease and on of the symptoms is a metalic taste in mouth, like an Iron taste. It is caused by uremia in blood.

I'm sure there are many other cause for that taste in mouth, but you may want to check it out with your doc.

NewBlew and NM,

I get that taste in my mouth but I think it's related to the low carbs and low blood sugar. Sugarless cough drops help during the day and a little mouthwash before bed at night. It does get better as you add more carbs. I try to eat a few carbs first thing in the morning to boost the blood sugar, then eat every 3-4 hours during the day. It may only be a few tablespoons of cottage cheese, but it keeps my blood sugar even so I don't get a headache or smelly breath.

My sister was banded on Wednesday and had a very nice experience. The only thing was trying to get across the border, it took me almost 2 hours. After being there a few times, I really think Tuesday is the easiest time to cross.

DON'T FORGET! Beginning Jan 1st, you will need a passport!

Hope everyone is doing well. I'm down 28 pounds post op and it's really beginning to show!

Judy

judy2291

They have these little mint & listerene strips at pharmacy. They disolve in mouth and are perfect for getting rid of bad breath.

The problems with my band are gone. It must have been some stomach swelling.

Now, it seems like my band is at the 'sweet spot' bANSTERS TALK ABOUT. I cannot eat more than 2 to 4 ounces of solid food at a meal. If I eat more I get the gurgely feeling in my throat and if I still continue to eat, I throw up.

I believe what is going on now is that I am learning how to work with the band.

HI NM and Judy. I think that the metallic taste had to do with the antibiotics. At least, as soon as I was done taking them, it went away...so I'm not complaining. This week's issue is that I seem to have developed a rash from the steri strips. Itchy and annoying, but the first incision site that started with the rash is much better so I just need to wait for the other ones to catch up.

Overall, I'm feeling great and enjoying my mushies. My kids think I'm crazy though (they don't know about the band).:rolleyes: Today is my last day of work until next Thursday so I thought I'd take a mini break and check in with you all.

NM - glad to hear about your restriction. I'm definitely getting hungry again so I'm looking forward to that first fill next month!

Sunshine its good to know you've hit your sweet spot with the adjustment! I hit my sweet spot at my third fill and have been doing great since. Judy and NewBlew I got that nasty taste also and I know it was the floxstat, so as soon as that was over I was back to normal. I wish you all a happy New Year and may you work hard at reaching all resolutions so that they may become reality. Lots of hugs for everyone!

Sunshine its good to know you've hit your sweet spot with the adjustment! I hit my sweet spot at my third fill and have been doing great since. Judy and NewBlew I got that nasty taste also and I know it was the floxstat, so as soon as that was over I was back to normal. I wish you all a happy New Year and may you work hard at reaching all resolutions so that they may become reality. Lots of hugs for everyone!

Hi, i went to visit my kids and grandkids for xmas. We had a big xmas dinner and I tried about a TSP of each thing. A few of the veggies were too stringy fiberous so I discretely spit them into a paper napkin rather than get the PB's or something.

Actually found that I could only eat about a half a cup and later I was able to just eat again....

Hitting the sweet spot means that one has to learn to be really careful. When I'm stressed out it seems like I tend to PB a lot.

I'm losing weight even over the holidays.

HI NM and Judy. I think that the metallic taste had to do with the antibiotics. At least, as soon as I was done taking them, it went away...so I'm not complaining. This week's issue is that I seem to have developed a rash from the steri strips. Itchy and annoying, but the first incision site that started with the rash is much better so I just need to wait for the other ones to catch up.

Overall, I'm feeling great and enjoying my mushies. My kids think I'm crazy though (they don't know about the band).:) Today is my last day of work until next Thursday so I thought I'd take a mini break and check in with you all.

NM - glad to hear about your restriction. I'm definitely getting hungry again so I'm looking forward to that first fill next month!

Thanks. It's like all the practicing we do on how to eat is a preparation for once we reach that sweet spot.

Have a happy holiday 228p.gif 

Hear me talk!