Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys. Has anyone had h-pylori after the sleeve? I'm 5 weeks post op and before it I had an endoscopy that uncovered h-pylori. They wanted to get rid of it before my op so I went on what they call triple therapy, 2 types of antibiotics and a PPI.

After the op the histology showed that it hasn't been eradicated and now I'm on quadruple therapy which is the same again but with bismuth. In total it's 10 pills a day and they are giant. One of them tastes so bad it leaves a taste all day no matter how many times you brush your teeth.

I am feeling awful from this. I think it would be difficult for anyone but trying to do this with the sleeve is awful. The pills are so large and disgusting that I need a lot of liquid to get them down but that makes me feel so nauseous I can't eat. I also have diarrhoea. Finally I have insatiable hunger but mixed with nausea so that I can't eat but when I force myself to the hunger doesn't go away anyway. The pills feel like they're stuck in my throat.

Sorry for the long post I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through this treatment.

had same but got it cleared pre - op. so sorry you are going thru this a second time.

its going to be a long 2 weeks. try to keep your mind occupied and work thru the rest of the treatment.

it really sucks to have this dropped on top of the normal post -op crap you have to work thru.

good luck and hang in there this to will pass

I had H-pylori about 15 yrs ago and from what I remember from the treatment I was on it for three months (about the same amount of pills) shortly after finishing my treatment I started to develop strange food allergies to dairy, bread (anything pasta) it was horrible.

Fast forward to today I was checked to see if I had fully recovered from it (because I’m two months away from surgery date) the doctor wanted to make sure it was fully gone before moving on. I came back negative for it (so the treatment was worth it) I just didn’t expect it to last as long as it did (not sure if that’s a case by case basis though) thinking back three months felt like a year.

I hope you feel better soon.. definitely not fun having that especially after surgery :(

•5’6
•Beginning W/378
•CW/268
•GW/140
•Surgery date is still unknown
•RNY
•From CT

I’m requesting a test for this (I’m 10 days post VSG). Now I’m scared. I hope I don’t have it, but I suppose it’s better to fix it than not.
How did you suspect you had it?

HW: 311
SW: 255 VSG 5/10/18
CW: 236
First goal weight: 209
Second goal weight: 191 lbs
Third goal weight: 159 lbs
Final Goal weight: 142 lbs

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

I did my test the other day, fingers crossed nothing there, but if there is I am not planning my procedure until October so hopefully plenty of time ot sort it out.

23 minutes ago, moondoggie1983 said:

I’m requesting a test for this (I’m 10 days post VSG). Now I’m scared. I hope I don’t have it, but I suppose it’s better to fix it than not.
How did you suspect you had it?

Part of my pre op test was an endoscopy and it came up in that. I had never even heard of it to be honest but I had gastritis type symptoms for quite a while and the doctors suspected it was gall bladder issues which it turned out not to be. They then said it might be IBS which they didn't really seem to know what to do about. So when they came back and said it was h-pylori it made sense and it seemed like an easy enough thing to fix.

I assumed the antibiotics I had beforehand would clear it up and it was fine to take them then. It was only because the histology came back after the op and said it was still present that I have to take this therapy. If you had an endoscopy before your op I think you can assume you don't have it. Also I'm sure your surgeon follow up will give you info about your histology -it might not require an extra test. But don't worry about it, I'm having a hard time with this now but a lot of people have this and don't even know.

@2shea October is ages away the treatment is maximum 2 weeks and absolutely fine pre surgery! Good luck!

@moondoggie1983
I noticed I had it when I was getting bloated from just drinking anything (even water) and couldn’t stop burping.. I felt overwhelmingly bloated and nauseous, had loss of appetite, heartburn, I was tired all the time and anemic. My doctor at the time thought that it could’ve been a thyroid condition but also looked like the bacteria Hpylori.. so she did a series of blood tests and that is when I got the call that I needed to start treatment ASAP.. the way the RN told me over the phone was that if it isn’t treated it could later on cause ulcers..

I’ve been tested since that first outbreak and have not had it since (knock on wood) I don’t want it again.

On 5/19/2018 at 10:27 PM, notthedoublegoodbye said:

Finally I have insatiable hunger but mixed with nausea so that I can't eat but when I force myself to the hunger doesn't go away anyway.

Hello! I have not had this, but my son did when he was 8. It was a lot of pills to manage over a long period of time. So sorry to hear you're going through this! I wanted to comment on the hunger, because this is something he experienced as well. He ate SO much and never really felt satiated. For him, it was a symptom of peptic ulcer caused by the h. pyolori. He's 18 now and still gets flare ups and that gnawing hunger is one of the first signs. Cutting caffiene and anything fatty often helps.