Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Before anyone says to me "this isn't a diabetes site" I totally understand. Not trying to get diabetic support!!

But, my main health concern is my diabetes (type 2). Just wanted some input from fellow-diabetic weight loss surgery champions. I am still in the decision making process, haven't even had my first consult with a nutritionist yet.

My BF of 20 years is a double amputee (type 1) so I've seen the end result. My BGs are good, but I'm aware that the older I get the more difficult that will be to control. I'm about willing to do most anything to bring that under more permanent control. My A1C started at 13.11. I'm now controlling it at 6.4. Haven't been over 7 for 3 years. I've was diagnosed about 3.5 years ago. I've been able to drop 60 pounds in that same period but have plateaued, with 60 - 80 pounds to go. Actually moved back up the scale this past cold winter.

Nephropathy started for me about 3 months ago. My pharmacist daughter said I won't get that because I'm so controlled. Well, my disease proved her wrong. I think if I can get my weight to a healthier level for me I might be able to escape some of the horrors of the diabetic disease.

A diabetic coworker had weight loss surgery 10 years ago, dropped most of her excess weight. She rebounded and has regained plus. It's very sad. I spoke with her briefly this week and she said that they don't tell you that you can't ever eat carbs again. She said every time she eats carbs she gains weight. I do not know what surgery process she did. I'm concerned about her story as I have a strong tendency to go hypo if I don't eat at least 100 carbs a day. I know my body pretty well now as it concerns my diet. Kind of a science experiment some days!!

Has it been easier for you to control your BGs after your weight loss surgery? Have you been able to get off some of these horrific meds (I'm on Metformin and Victoza)? Does the stricter carb diet make you go Hypoglycemic more often? How many carbs are allowed in your diets (I eat about 130 to 150 per day)?

You all have so many success stories here. I'm an information gatherer and here seems the best place to ask these questions. I appreciate the time you take to help me out!

Before anyone says to me "this isn't a diabetes site" I totally understand. Not trying to get diabetic support!!
But, my main health concern is my diabetes (type 2). Just wanted some input from fellow-diabetic weight loss surgery champions. I am still in the decision making process, haven't even had my first consult with a nutritionist yet.
My BF of 20 years is a double amputee (type 1) so I've seen the end result. My BGs are good, but I'm aware that the older I get the more difficult that will be to control. I'm about willing to do most anything to bring that under more permanent control. My A1C started at 13.11. I'm now controlling it at 6.4. Haven't been over 7 for 3 years. I've was diagnosed about 3.5 years ago. I've been able to drop 60 pounds in that same period but have plateaued, with 60 - 80 pounds to go. Actually moved back up the scale this past cold winter.
Nephropathy started for me about 3 months ago. My pharmacist daughter said I won't get that because I'm so controlled. Well, my disease proved her wrong. I think if I can get my weight to a healthier level for me I might be able to escape some of the horrors of the diabetic disease.
A diabetic coworker had weight loss surgery 10 years ago, dropped most of her excess weight. She rebounded and has regained plus. It's very sad. I spoke with her briefly this week and she said that they don't tell you that you can't ever eat carbs again. She said every time she eats carbs she gains weight. I do not know what surgery process she did. I'm concerned about her story as I have a strong tendency to go hypo if I don't eat at least 100 carbs a day. I know my body pretty well now as it concerns my diet. Kind of a science experiment some days!!
Has it been easier for you to control your BGs after your weight loss surgery? Have you been able to get off some of these horrific meds (I'm on Metformin and Victoza)? Does the stricter carb diet make you go Hypoglycemic more often? How many carbs are allowed in your diets (I eat about 130 to 150 per day)?
You all have so many success stories here. I'm an information gatherer and here seems the best place to ask these questions. I appreciate the time you take to help me out!

I was a type 2 on Victoza, glipizide and metformin. I stopped the Victoza on day 2 of the pre-op diet because I was bottoming out. The day before surgery I stopped the metformin and glipizide.
My highest a1c was 8.1. A few months before surgery I was at 6.2
I had the sleeve on 5/10/18. The first couple days were great minus the 24 hours of gas pain right after surgery. On day 6, things went downhill quickly. I’m not able to keep a lot of liquids or any Protein down right now. I’m not telling you this to freak you out or anything because my situation seems pretty rare. I’ll be seeing my doctor on Monday to see what’s up with this. The reason I’m telling you this is because I have had ZERO carbs for 4 days now, and I’ve been fine.
On my pre-op diet I was getting between 80 and 120 carbs a day. It’s not that you can NEVER have carbs, it’s that you can’t have ridiculous amounts of them anymore. Instead of eating carbs first thing at your meals, you have to get the protein FIRST.
The final sleeve diet isn’t ridiculous. It’s a restriction surgery so you’re only going to be able to eat 1/4-1/2 cup portions to start with (when you finally get out of the liquid stage). The rest is common sense. Don’t eat crap food like cake, pastries, white sugars, bread and Pasta. Do eat your protein. Do eat your veggies. Don’t eat fried food or stuff cooked in fats and butters. Eat healthy basically. Does that mean you can never have a piece of cake for your bday? Of course not. But you don’t get to do it often.
It’s here that I’m going to tell you that there are two distinct camps of people. Group A believes in everything in moderation. Group B is the never have any bad foods again. I’m camp A. To me, there are no “bad” foods, but only foods that have nutritional value and those that don’t. I know that every diet I failed was because it was a “you can never have THIS again EVER!” diet. It’s fine for a bit, then you give into cravings and binge out. BUT, I notice a lot of the group B people are those who have RNY or DS surgeries rather than sleeve. I believe they’re much stricter because they get dumping syndrome so easily.
I’ve rambled on for long enough here I think. [emoji23] But if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Don’t let your friends failure deter you from something that can prolong and maybe save your life. And remember to research your different options for surgeries. Find the one that’s the best fit for you.
Good luck! Message me if you want to ask anything :)

HW: 311
SW: 255 VSG 5/10/18
CW: 238.6
First goal weight: 209
Second goal weight: 191 lbs
Third goal weight: 159 lbs
Final Goal weight: 142 lbs

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

Hi,

I have not had my surgery yet, I will have it in October . I am a insulin dependent diabetic right now . I have been following the eating plan my Nut gave me in March 2018. I have had some very low glucose scares,. They usually happen in the middle of the night . I have dropped my insulin way down and I make sure I get something with Protein and a few carbs about 1 hr before bed.

My diet looks like this
3 oz lean protein 3x a day
3 servings low fat dairy 3x a day ( this counts towards my protein)
3 or more servings of veggies a day ( 1 c raw or 1/2 c cooked)
2 servings max of fruit
1 healthy fat ( oatmeal, quinoa 1/2 c

I eat 3 meals and 3 Snacks for anywhere of 1000 - 1200 calories daily
100 g protein
60 - 90 carbs ( I never reach this ) I have not had surgery yet
64oz Water ( I drink about 80oz)
No caffeine ( Decaf is ok) no regular Creamer sf only I use vanilla
Protein Powder in my coffee that helps with my protein also
No alcohol ( empty calories, high sugar)
No pop or anything that is carbonated
No candy, chips, bread , anything made with flour, rice, bananas, cream Soup, Tomato Soup ( unless I make it myself without sugar)
No pasta
No juice (regular or diet)
I used to have juice to help with my bs lows before I started this
Now I use glucose tabs with 4g sugar.
No real sugar ( stevia, Splenda ,other subs are ok with my Nut )

I drink at least 1 Protein Shake a day to get my 100g in. I will be going down to 80g in the beginning of June
If you would like to know more send me a private message.

I have lost 44.5 lbs from following this and exercising 5 days a week.
I don’t miss the carbs anymore, I do miss my club soda but I can live without bubbles in my water.

I will be very honest I started this diet change 7 months before I am even having surgery because I know myself. It will take me that long to be clean as I call it. I do have a treat now and then ,I have gone out and eaten a pice of fried food but I always ask for a box to be brought out when they bring my meal I take most of it and put it in the go box. My husband gets any fried food left over and I get the veggies , I always order veggies as my side .
I don’t always get my protein in or my water but I try. I was never up before 9 am and now I am up at 5:30 and leave for the gym at 6:30 Monday - Friday . On the weekends I am usually walking around our doing yard work that is my exercise for the weekend.

You can do this. You will have some bs lows but you will deal with them and move on. Please don’t get discouraged because of 1 person. Ask all the questions you have this forum is full of the best people around . They have experienced everything after there surgeries and have the best suggestions and great ideas to help get through this. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck kimberlymi, I believe in you and I feel sure this going to be a good thing for you. Keep us updated on your progress. 😝

And @kimberlymi,it is almost October, are you still,going to be a. October in the Moonlight girl?

The American Diabetes Association has pretty good information. Here's a short article: http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/bariatric-surgery.html

I also read their book: https://www.amazon.com/Things-About-Diabetes-Weight-Loss-Surgery/dp/1580406149

The American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery has a longer article: https://asmbs.org/patients/surgery-for-diabetes

If you're interested in wading through medical studies, I'm happy to point you at some. I know that isn't everyone's cup of tea, so I didn't want to start there. The short version of what studies are finding is that many people (above a BMI of 35) experience a very fast improvement, so quickly after surgery that the drop in body weight can't possibly be the cause. There are a lot of theories about what the cause is, but there are enough pieces of evidence both in favor of and against each of them that it seems like the best answer is "it's a variety of mechanisms."

No matter the reason, because of the speed of the change in people's diabetes after surgery, you might find that your current need for 100 grams of carbohydrates per day to keep your numbers stable may not be the case after surgery--almost certainly won't, in fact. (I'm not saying you will definitely be able to control your diabetes with diet alone -- it happens for some people, but some others are merely able to decrease their reliance on medications. Just, the things you know about your body will change.)

Someone posted the Kaiser Permanente list of post-surgery foods on here, not long ago, which I only remember because they were throwing carbs in there right away, where my surgeon's nutritionists are very focused on Protein, then vegetables and fruits, and only much later carbs. So different places will have different rules, and if you want a look at that particular set, to see how it matches up with your needs (keeping in mind that those may change!), that might be worthwhile!

Anyway, best of luck in making your decision!

On 18.5.2018 at 8:50 PM, Queen Grandma said:

I spoke with her briefly this week and she said that they don't tell you that you can't ever eat carbs again.

Of course not because it's bollocks.

Has it been easier for you to control your BGs after your weight loss surgery?

I was on insulin shots several times a day and I don't need to take any meds since years and yes - I eat carbohydrates (and I don't count them).

She said every time she eats carbs she gains weight.

Real weight gain or the bit of Water weight people gain once they introduce more carbohydrates? If the weight gain is real she's gained because her calorie intake is higher than it should be not because she ate "carbs".

<rant>People complain that they gain weight every time they eat "carbs". However, it seems that they simply add the carbohydrates on top of what they're already eating. Of course this behavior makes you gain weight - you eat more calories than you're used to.</rant>

I'm a Type2 and had a lapband back in 2009, starting at 153.5 kilos. I lost 20 kgs. However I had a lot of problems (sprung a leak in the tubing in the beginning and it never really worked for me) so I'm having a revision to mini gastric bypass.

The thing with my diabetes is I get hypos if I eat high carbs (sugar) and then nothing else for ages. So eg. a croissant for Breakfast and then by 1pm I'm having a hypo. My theory is that the body overshoots the insulin for the croissant so I have too much floating around that has nothing to do but send my blood sugar crashing. When I go Keto, eg keep carbs to between 20 and 50 grams a day, I simply don't get hypos. So you may find the problem for you is too many high sugary carbs and surgery and limiting your carbs will really help re: hypos.

My doc says they perform this surgery specifically to send diabetes into to remission, so it's definitely something to consider.

Many blessings

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app