Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m terrified of being at a restaurant or public place and having to throw up. I literally have visions of myself walking around in a store and projectile vomiting.

I’m terrified of getting diarrhea while I’m out in public or on a date.

What if I can’t control my farts.

What if the feeling of hunger never goes away and I’m stuck with restriction from my pouch yet feeling physically hungry pangs and all because all that rerouting of my pouch is off.

What if I look really old prematurely like some people who’s face look like they literally melted and everything is saggy. (Don’t mean to sound vain) but I don’t think anyone would want to age prematurely and look 15 years older.

I don’t know how illogical this is but I do believe that it may be possible and I would hate any of that happening to me. I get embarrassed so easily I just couldn’t overcome pooping myself or literally running to a bathroom at a restaurant or worse not making it is there anyone around 6 months post-op who can share if this happened to them?

What are your fears?

Yo-Yo Girl from New York City :)

I had some of the same fears you have. I asked a bunch of WLS vets about vomiting. Every one of them told me that it is not vomiting like we know it now. It is more like regurgitation. You have plenty of time to make it to a discreet place IF you need to bring something back up.

As far as the other issues, I would think that you would know if these things are or could happen before you went to a public place. It would not happen unless you had some sort of complication or were sick.

Have you considered asking your Dr for something for anxiety? It may be very helpful to you until you can get through this.

Good luck!

Maybe it’s an age thing or because I’m married, but [emoji90] happens. [emoji23] I worry about having a [emoji884] neck, but then I also think about all the bad things that will probably happen if I don’t do the surgery... and then I’m okay with risking that.

I had some of the same fears you have. I asked a bunch of WLS vets about vomiting. Every one of them told me that it is not vomiting like we know it now. It is more like regurgitation. You have plenty of time to make it to a discreet place IF you need to bring something back up.
As far as the other issues, I would think that you would know if these things are or could happen before you went to a public place. It would not happen unless you had some sort of complication or were sick.
Have you considered asking your Dr for something for anxiety? It may be very helpful to you until you can get through this.
Good luck!

Idk I’ve heard stories of people saying they didn’t know they had intolerance to x y and z until they tried it and had diarrhea or had to throw up. It just scares me that I’m trying food at a gathering or whatever and out of nowhere I have to throw up or diarrhea. I won’t always eat at home or eat only what I cook and trying different things will certainly make me nervous.

Maybe it’s an age thing or because I’m married, but [emoji90] happens. [emoji23] I worry about having a [emoji884] neck, but then I also think about all the bad things that will probably happen if I don’t do the surgery... and then I’m okay with risking that.

[emoji90] doesn’t happen for me! I don’t have incontinence problems or ever had to worry about getting explosive diarrhea when I’m not sick or food poisoned. I don’t want to trade one problem for another.

I’m almost six months out. I have never vomited, not even post op. I have never had diarrhea from the surgery. If you are concerned about food intolerances the best thing to do post op is to try one new food item at a time when reintroducing solid foods into your diet. This is best done at home in the beginning, not out at a party or date. When going out in the beginning months just stick to what you know you can eat and tolerate and you won’t have an issue.

Most of us post surgery have Constipation as a problem. If you’re worried about gas, carry gas x chews with you. That’s what I do.

Most people look younger when they lose weight, not older. If someone is older, and they already have a lot of lines on their face and they lose a lot of weight, they don’t have the fat on their face to fill that out anymore. If you are under 40 this likely won’t be an issue for you.

Try to focus on the health aspects and try not to spend so much energy worrying about what not might even happen. Sure, we might end up with some loose skin here or there but the health benefits will be worth it.

10 hours ago, Yo-yo girl said:

I’m terrified of being at a restaurant or public place and having to throw up. I literally have visions of myself walking around in a store and projectile vomiting.

What if the feeling of hunger never goes away and I’m stuck with restriction from my pouch yet feeling physically hungry pangs and all because all that rerouting of my pouch is off.

What if I look really old prematurely like some people who’s face look like they literally melted and everything is saggy. (Don’t mean to sound vain) but I don’t think anyone would want to age prematurely and look 15 years older.

I don’t know how illogical this is but I do believe that it may be possible and I would hate any of that happening to me. I get embarrassed so easily I just couldn’t overcome pooping myself or literally running to a bathroom at a restaurant or worse not making it is there anyone around 6 months post-op who can share if this happened to them?

What are your fears?

your fears are normal and while everyone is different at 6 months out I :

Look 15 years younger lol

Always locate bathrooms when first entering restaurants now because i did have a minor emergency once and i want to be prepared from now on

Im actually afraid of getting food poisoning and then adversion to something i eat routinely like yogurt

I’m almost six months out. I have never vomited, not even post op. I have never had diarrhea from the surgery. If you are concerned about food intolerances the best thing to do post op is to try one new food item at a time when reintroducing solid foods into your diet. This is best done at home in the beginning, not out at a party or date. When going out in the beginning months just stick to what you know you can eat and tolerate and you won’t have an issue.
Most of us post surgery have Constipation as a problem. If you’re worried about gas, carry gas x chews with you. That’s what I do.
Most people look younger when they lose weight, not older. If someone is older, and they already have a lot of lines on their face and they lose a lot of weight, they don’t have the fat on their face to fill that out anymore. If you are under 40 this likely won’t be an issue for you.
Try to focus on the health aspects and try not to spend so much energy worrying about what not might even happen. Sure, we might end up with some loose skin here or there but the health benefits will be worth it.

That’s for your comment it really does help put things into prospective for me.

your fears are normal and while everyone is different at 6 months out I :
Look 15 years younger lol
Always locate bathrooms when first entering restaurants now because i did have a minor emergency once and i want to be prepared from now on
Im actually afraid of getting food poisoning and then adversion to something i eat routinely like yogurt

Glad to know that I’m not the only one lol.. thought I was on my own with this. It only worries me so much because I’m such an active person despite being heavy and I travel a lot and love exploring and going away and I’m really hoping to do this even more and take it to another level once I lose weight and I’m healthy. So for example it’s important for me to be able to travel to Thailand and know I can eat the local food and not feel like oh idk if it’ll agree with me but I guess this is part of the process, after all I was the one who caused this with my unhealthy eating habits [emoji30]

18 hours ago, Yo-yo girl said:

What are your fears?

Let me address some of these.

1. Nausea - I had nausea for the first 6 weeks off and on, but no vomiting. I took a prescription nausea dissolvable pill and it did wonders. I kept them in my purse at all times. There is a rule of thumb I live by, still to this day, 4 months post op. I never try anything I haven't had post op, unless I am at home. If you have a reaction, at least you will be in the privacy of your own bathroom.

2. Diarrhea- Again, careful not to eat anything you haven't tried out in public. Get yourself on a good Fiber regimen. You shouldn't have regular diarrhea after the food transition is over with. If anything, you may be constipated. I have finally gotten to where I have a small bowel movement every morning. But for awhile, it was every 3 days.

3. Farts- Well, this is where my advice isn't going to be helpful. I still struggle with bad gas issues. I don't have uncontrollable farts by any means, but I am extremely gassy. I have to leave work and walk outside to expel gas most days. Every once in awhile I feel gas festering and I have to deal with it promptly. One thing that you can do to prevent gas is not to use a straw, and don't chew gum.

4. Wrinkles/Saggy Skin- Honestly, this has a lot to do with genetics, age, gender, starting weight, and skin type. I started using Bio Oil and I love the way it has helped the overall health of my skin. A lot of vets recommend it as well.

5. Hunger- I think you are overthinking it. Hunger will return. Mine did very early on. But you will be able to choose Protein rich Snacks to fill you up quickly. So even if you are hungry, it will only take a few bites (of the right thing, of course) to feel satisfied. Head hunger is a different story, and I think that just takes time to retrain your brain.

Hope this helps. But overall, don't let these fears stop you. These are legitimate fears, but all things that you are worried about happen infrequently, if at all. Not to mention, the benefits of this surgery will CRUSH the drawbacks.

Let me address some of these.
1. Nausea - I had nausea for the first 6 weeks off and on, but no vomiting. I took a prescription nausea dissolvable pill and it did wonders. I kept them in my purse at all times. There is a rule of thumb I live by, still to this day, 4 months post op. I never try anything I haven't had post op, unless I am at home. If you have a reaction, at least you will be in the privacy of your own bathroom.
2. Diarrhea- Again, careful not to eat anything you haven't tried out in public. Get yourself on a good Fiber regimen. You shouldn't have regular diarrhea after the food transition is over with. If anything, you may be constipated. I have finally gotten to where I have a small bowel movement every morning. But for awhile, it was every 3 days.
3. Farts- Well, this is where my advice isn't going to be helpful. I still struggle with bad gas issues. I don't have uncontrollable farts by any means, but I am extremely gassy. I have to leave work and walk outside to expel gas most days. Every once in awhile I feel gas festering and I have to deal with it promptly. One thing that you can do to prevent gas is not to use a straw, and don't chew gum.
4. Wrinkles/Saggy Skin- Honestly, this has a lot to do with genetics, age, gender, starting weight, and skin type. I started using Bio Oil and I love the way it has helped the overall health of my skin. A lot of vets recommend it as well.
5. Hunger- I think you are overthinking it. Hunger will return. Mine did very early on. But you will be able to choose Protein rich Snacks to fill you up quickly. So even if you are hungry, it will only take a few bites (of the right thing, of course) to feel satisfied. Head hunger is a different story, and I think that just takes time to retrain your brain.
Hope this helps. But overall, don't let these fears stop you. These are legitimate fears, but all things that you are worried about happen infrequently, if at all. Not to mention, the benefits of this surgery will CRUSH the drawbacks.

I will live by rule 1 and 2. It may be a little difficult during my travels but I’ll stick to food I know how I’ll react to.

Glad to know that I’m not the only one lol.. thought I was on my own with this. It only worries me so much because I’m such an active person despite being heavy and I travel a lot and love exploring and going away and I’m really hoping to do this even more and take it to another level once I lose weight and I’m healthy. So for example it’s important for me to be able to travel to Thailand and know I can eat the local food and not feel like oh idk if it’ll agree with me but I guess this is part of the process, after all I was the one who caused this with my unhealthy eating habits [emoji30]

Yo-Yo Girl from New York City [emoji4]

A lot of my travel mates recommend Prebiotic and Probiotics before street food in Asia

HW270 SW238 CW176 VSG11/7/17
[emoji956][emoji956][emoji956][emoji956][emoji956][emoji956][emoji956][emoji956][emoji956][emoji956][emoji956][emoji956]

On 5/18/2018 at 10:16 AM, Yo-yo girl said:

That’s for your comment it really does help put things into prospective for me.

I have the exact fears!! Especially throwing up 😳