Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this price outrageous? (NYC!)

Hi all,

I'm 28 months post-op VSG and have lost about 120 lbs from my highest weight. I've decided to move forward with plastics, and the whole process is a little intimidating and A LOT overwhelming for me.

I was under the impression I would need a panniculectomy... and that was about it; that everything else would kind of be gravy. I had a consultation with a surgeon last week. Mind you, I'm in NYC and this guy is a top doctor at a top city hospital... qualities I would obviously prefer in a surgeon doing extremely invasive cutting on my body. Now, I'm realistically aware that cosmetic surgeons are bred to be salespeople, and this guy really sold it. I immediately felt at ease with him (still do) and everything he was telling me. He pitched at least two separate surgeries -- probably three. The first, a circumferential lift (no muscular work needed) with minor Lipo on the thighs for a fat transfer to the buttocks. I thought that was excessive... I didn't have that much excess skin... most of it was fat. He nearly laughed at me when I told him I dreamed of losing an additional 20 lbs and told me there was very little losable fat left on my body (something my endless plateau should've told me a long time ago) -- the majority of it was skin that would have to be removed. Then he literally lifted the areas in question to show me what he was talking about... and he was right (I've never been 'thin' before; I have no idea what my body is supposed to look like).

That would be followed up by a brachioplasty and a thigh lift... which my insurance would probably cover due to a pre-existing skin condition in the area that has been exacerbated by the excess skin.

Anyway, the price tag for JUST surgery number one... a whopping $30,600. That's 8,600 for the hospital (outpatient! eek!) and anesthesia fees, and TWENTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS for the surgeon to spend six hours in the OR. Half due at my pre-op appointment, half due within a week of discharge. LOL. I'm aware that I live in an expensive city and this is an expensive and extensive surgery... but I'm 25 and at the beginning of my career... $30k is about half my salary and nearly double my life's savings, and part of me doesn't want to make that one man's day rate purely on principle.

But another part of me (the big part) really, really wants -- needs -- this surgery. So I ask any and all of you with experience -- is 30 grand really as outrageous as I think it is? (My estimate was falling closer to 20... on the high end), and does anyone have any recommendations for surgeons in and around the NYC area?

Sorry for the diatribe. I'm half venting here. Thanks in advance.

Edited by TheFormerFatGirl

Hi all,
I'm 28 months post-op VSG and have lost about 120 lbs. from my highest weight. I've decided to move forward with plastics, and the whole process is a little intimidating and A LOT overwhelming for me.
I was under the impression I would need a panniculectomy... and that was about it; that everything else would kind of be gravy. I had a consultation with a surgeon last week. Mind you, I'm in NYC and this guy is a top doctor at a top city hospital... qualities I would obviously prefer in a surgeon doing extremely invasive cutting on my body. Now, I'm realistically aware that cosmetic surgeons are bred to be salespeople, and this guy really sold it. I immediately felt at ease with him (still do) and everything he was telling me. He pitched at least two separate surgeries -- probably three. The first, being a circumferential lift (no muscular work needed) with Lipo on the thighs and a fat transfer to the buttocks. I thought that was excessive... I didn't have that much excess skin... most of it was fat. He nearly laughed at me when I told him I dreamed of losing an additional 30 lbs. and told me there was very little losable fat left on my body (something my endless plateau should've told me a long time ago) -- the majority of it was skin that would have to be removed. Then he literally lifted the areas in question to show me what he was talking about... and he was right (I've never been 'thin' before; I have no idea what my body is supposed to look like).
That would be followed up by a brachioplasty and a thigh lift... which my insurance would probably cover due to a pre-existing skin condition in the area that has been exacerbated by the excess skin.
Anyway, the price tag for JUST surgery number one... a whopping $30,600. That's 8,600 for the hospital (outpatient! eek!) and anesthesia fees, and TWENTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS for the surgeon to spend six hours in the OR. Half due at my pre-op appointment, half due within a week of discharge. LOL. I'm aware that I live in an expensive city and this is an expensive surgery... but I'm 25 and at the beginning of my career... $30k is half my annual salary and nearly double my life's savings, and part of me doesn't want to make that one man's day rate purely on principle.
But another part of me (the big part) really, really wants -- needs -- this surgery. So I ask any and all of you with experience -- is 30 grand really as outrageous as I think it is? (My estimate was falling closer to 20... on the high end), and does anyone have any recommendations for surgeons in and around the NYC area?
Sorry for the diatribe. I'm half venting here. Thanks in advance.

I’m in NYC as well and unfortunately that sounds about right. I know for my surgeon/hospital my procedure (gastric) would have run about $28,000 and that’s no where near the same amount of OR time. I asked my surgeon how much the procedure cost out of curiosity. Some ppl have success in Mexico for a lower rate???

“I know that I’m in my own little world—but it’s ok, they like me here.”

For comparison's sake, I had two major plastic surgeries.

1) Brachioplasty (arms) and abdominoplasty (belly from hip to hip and up the middle).

2) Thigh lift (inside the leg from knee to groin and then along crease to outside of hip, ) with the completion of a circumferential body (backside, from hip to hip connecting abdominoplasty).

These were done in day surgery (no overnight stay) and cost me $25k all in. However... I live in Wisconsin, about 40 minutes outside of Milwaukee.

Still, I had to pay 100% out of pocket and I cried when I got the estimate because I thought I'd never be able to justify it. But my husband said we'd find a way and he's a miracle worker so it happened. Best money I ever spent.

Hi there. That's a lot of surgery and a whole lot of money. I'm glad to hear you say it's the best money you've spent. I'm getting an Abdominopasty 5/29/18. My insurance is covering it. I have to pay 250.00 co-pay. How long ago was your surgery and how long was the recovery process? I wasn't scared or nervous when I was sleeved but I'm terrified this time.

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app

Yikes! I also used top doc and A rated hospital - 25 K for lower body with outer thigh plus a bit of bum work and breasts surgery 2 a separate 9 k for inner thighs and surgery 3 9 k for arm with side and back of torso. I had mine done in a high cost area but would not rule out 1 or 2 hours away. - CT or NJ. Even Long Island Get a few quotes whatever you do then go with what you are comfortable.

Too much! Come to my doc in Mexico! She’s known as the Tummy Tuck queen and is every bit worth what I paid! I had a lower body lift that included nine procedures and a week stay at her recovery house with around the clock nurses and a hospital stay with meds and food and such. Www.beauty-enhance.com

that's probably not unusual in NYC. I'm finding really high prices in the Chicago area as well. A lot of NYC-area people talk about Dr. Capella in Ramsey, NJ. He's quite a bit cheaper than most of the NYC surgeons.

I am in Fort Worth, Tx. Top Doctor quoted me $20k to remove 8lbs of loose skin with one overnight. No muscle work required.

On 5/15/2018 at 1:44 PM, cammarays said:

I’m in NYC as well and unfortunately that sounds about right. I know for my surgeon/hospital my procedure (gastric) would have run about $28,000 and that’s no where near the same amount of OR time. I asked my surgeon how much the procedure cost out of curiosity. Some ppl have success in Mexico for a lower rate???

“I know that I’m in my own little world—but it’s ok, they like me here.”

Yikes $30k does sound about right. if you are comfortable going out of the country look around, Mexico, Colombia , Dominican Rep. , etc

If you can get out of the city it will probably be less pricey. I am in NJ and would be happy to give you the name of the place i am booked with.

Unfortunately, that sounds about right, however - can you get any of it covered? Even 10K off of that number would help.

On 5/15/2018 at 6:08 PM, Jamocoa said:

Hi there. That's a lot of surgery and a whole lot of money. I'm glad to hear you say it's the best money you've spent. I'm getting an Abdominopasty 5/29/18. My insurance is covering it. I have to pay 250.00 co-pay. How long ago was your surgery and how long was the recovery process? I wasn't scared or nervous when I was sleeved but I'm terrified this time.

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app

How did you get your insurance to pay?

Hello! I had my sleeve surgery back in 2014 and I just the first of two plastic surgeries done this past July. I waited until I was at my goal weight and said these surgeries would be a treat to myself if I maintained my weight for a few years. My start weight 242, lowest was 138 and now I’m at 160. I like myself best at 150.

My first surgery was a J upper body lift and breast lift. Those surgeries were $18,200. The next surgery will be a lower body lift which includes fat transfer to the buttocks and some Other technique so you’re not left with a flat butt. This surgery will be around $30,000

Im a researcher and I did a lot of it before I selected a surgeon. My goal was to look good naked. Hard to do with most of the horrific scars left over from these surgeries. My research led me to Dr. Agha in Newport Beach, CA. A one hour plane ride or 6 hour car ride from my home.

Are there better deals out there? Sure. His website showcases before/after pics showing the scars. They are thin, low and perfectly straight. That sealed the deal for me. I’m 5 weeks out from my surgery without complications and my scars are razor thin. No regrets!