Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 23rd surgery date. Waking up?

Hello all,

My surgery is 3 weeks from today on 5/23.....iI'm anxious, excited and terrified at times but not as bad as I expected I would be. I'm kinda like ok I'm ready and I'll be fine and this is really happening lol. Anyway I had a question as I've never had surgery before, can anyone tell me if I will be dizzy upon waking from surgery? I have vertigo so I'm familiar with the feeling but I just want to be prepared so I don't freak out. Ik it's a minor concern but still lol. Thanks for responses, they are appreciated.

I wasn't really dizzy, just groggy. My eyes were blurry, and I couldn't read my phone very well for a few days. The nurse walked with me once, but then was convinced I was steady on my feet and cut me loose.

Good luck!

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

For me it was just like the movie, Dazed and Confused.

You will open your eyes, look around then go right back to sleep. Lol. I spoke with the nurse about pain and then she gave me morphin. My eyes went bright then i was out. She got a good laugh at me because of that. Like gassy girl, groggy is the better word to describe the first few moments after surgery.

And your first thought if all the posters I've read aren't lying-'
OMG WTF,did I just do? Even the happy little ones that say" doctor released me After a few hours, went to the shopping mall and the outlet stores and shopped until I reached my credit card limit!" they said that.
Me- I'll look like the survivor of a major gang war, looking bloated, grayish in color and walking very hesistanly, and holding onto my son's arm. Probably,like something the dog dragged out of the garbage and even he rejected it. And I'm sure my son will take a picture to post to BP as an object lesson. "But Mom they did say they wanted an 'After Picture" and with the last of my strength I threaten to choke him😸

Sleepy.... I had surgery at 8am and was on my feet walking out of the hospital at noon slept the whole way home as it was an hour drive

Thank you everyone for responding. Makes me less nervous about that part. Now I just have to relax and know that I will wake up and not think of all the other crazy thoughts in my head lol. I just can't wait to be done and home. And to be healthy!

Hi had mine this week. That was the thing I was most worried about - how I would wake up - would I be dazed, nauseous , etc. I got a patch behind my ear to help with the nausea and then they gave me something in the IV, I woke up normally talked to the nurse that was there, went back to sleep for a little bit. It was all good. The morphine in recovery did make me sick so I went off of that.

16 hours ago, N.Lyshay said:

My surgery is May 22!

Yay! Good luck on your surgery :-)

12 minutes ago, Houstongirl2018 said:

Hi had mine this week. That was the thing I was most worried about - how I would wake up - would I be dazed, nauseous , etc. I got a patch behind my ear to help with the nausea and then they gave me something in the IV, I woke up normally talked to the nurse that was there, went back to sleep for a little bit. It was all good. The morphine in recovery did make me sick so I went off of that.

Awesome! Congratulations on your surgery and good luck on the journey. Thanks for the info. I'm excited a little more now lol I get comfortable the more ik what to expect.

My surgery is May 22!

My surgery is also on May 22. I had my pre- surgical appointment at the hospital today. Discovered the consent was for gastric bypass and not for gastric sleeve. I called the bariatric coordinator. She did not look at the consent I signed in the office. She only looked at the office note and saw the physician talked to me about the gastric bypass surgery. Unfortunately she did not get insurance approval for the gastric sleeve surgery. The approval is for gastric bypass. So now I am waiting for approval again [emoji29]

My surgery is also on May 22. I had my pre- surgical appointment at the hospital today. Discovered the consent was for gastric bypass and not for gastric sleeve. I called the bariatric coordinator. She did not look at the consent I signed in the office. She only looked at the office note and saw the physician talked to me about the gastric bypass surgery. Unfortunately she did not get insurance approval for the gastric sleeve surgery. The approval is for gastric bypass. So now I am waiting for approval again [emoji29]

WHAT!! That’s terrible, I’m sorry!

HW 289
SW 262
VSG 5/2/18
Kaiser, Ontario - Dr. Chin

Hello all,
My surgery is 3 weeks from today on 5/23.....iI'm anxious, excited and terrified at times but not as bad as I expected I would be. I'm kinda like ok I'm ready and I'll be fine and this is really happening lol. Anyway I had a question as I've never had surgery before, can anyone tell me if I will be dizzy upon waking from surgery? I have vertigo so I'm familiar with the feeling but I just want to be prepared so I don't freak out. Ik it's a minor concern but still lol. Thanks for responses, they are appreciated.

I had this same question! I am five days out, I remember falling asleep, and waking up with a nurse sitting with me. He asked me about my pain level, said we would get that under control (don’t remember being in pain at that point though) and then they would call my boyfriend back. During those minutes my bf was meeting with my surgeon and then he walked around the corner and I saw him for the first time. I was all smiles and totally fine. They wheeled me to my room and I took advantage of the morphine while in the hospital (no regrets about that btw...) the pain settled in once I got home and I have had some WTF have I done moments, and been emotional, but I’m really starting to feel like myself again, I’m off pain meds (2 days now) and I’m only feeling pain in my lower left incision near my belly button, which seems very common. They gave my a stomach binder that helps support my torso when I need it and minimizes the pain.

Message me if you want, I’m here for you! I’ve been right where you are.

HW 289
SW 262
VSG 5/2/18
Kaiser, Ontario - Dr. Chin