Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate it when people post just to post.....

i didn't view restriction when i "couldn't" eat certain foods, rather feeling satisfied with my meals for longer periods of time.....and that did require many fills for me.

I guess when you put it that way, it makes total sense. :tongue2:

At the rate this is going, I won't be able to eat too many Proteins. :)

Yeah, Donna, I've been a bit concerned of all the ones here who have been having problems. It's not like I overlooked those posts before I got banded (I wanted to know the good and the bad), but it just seems like it's quite a few. I feel bad that they are experiencing problems, and then it tends to concern me. I can only hope I will be one of the ones for which this works as it should. If not, I will pay attention to what my other options are, possibly based on what I read from others.

I guess when you put it that way, it makes total sense. :tongue2:

At the rate this is going, I won't be able to eat too many Proteins. :)

I think that's why many supplement with extra Protein. I tried to avoid it because my doc is very against it, but I really think I need to do it because my nails which have always been very strong are now getting brittle and breaking easily. My hair is also falling out. I had very thick hair so it still looks fine but at the rate it's falling out, I'm afraid I'll be bald before I reach goal so I really think I need to start supplementing.

I think that's why many supplement with extra Protein. I tried to avoid it because my doc is very against it, but I really think I need to do it because my nails which have always been very strong are now getting brittle and breaking easily. My hair is also falling out. I had very thick hair so it still looks fine but at the rate it's falling out, I'm afraid I'll be bald before I reach goal so I really think I need to start supplementing.

Wow, that sucks!

I drink a Protein Drink in the morning since I am never hungry for Breakfast. Other than that, I've been working hard to get it the old-fashioned way. However, as time goes on... I may need to rethink that.

The chicken today was a cashew chicken at the local cheap Chinese place. The meat is tender (I'm guessing dark meat, cat, of course, lol) and in a sauce. I wasn't sure if the first few bites I took weren't chewed enough, resulting in my problem. It could be as a coworker and I were talking, and I find I don't do as well this soon since surgery if I am with people and talking during meals.

bread has given NO trouble.

What worries me is that I'm tight enough to cause problems, but I don't feel "full" real easy. I don't know if this is normal this early in until I find my sweet spot.

First, I cracked up when I read the cat comment.:) I just wanted to tell you that after my first and second adjustments, I felt the same way that you feel now. With me, it wasn't really that I wasn't going to be able to tolerate meat, I found that I was still eating too fast (even still working on this), and my bites were still too big. It was usually when eating with others. I lose myself in the conversation and the food. Of course, the food "reminds" me, but by then it's too late. As time goes on, hopefully it will become autopilot on eating slow and taking smaller bites. That is the only time I have trouble as far as stuck or PB.

First, I cracked up when I read the cat comment.:mellow: I just wanted to tell you that after my first and second adjustments, I felt the same way that you feel now. With me, it wasn't really that I wasn't going to be able to tolerate meat, I found that I was still eating too fast (even still working on this), and my bites were still too big. It was usually when eating with others. I lose myself in the conversation and the food. Of course, the food "reminds" me, but by then it's too late. As time goes on, hopefully it will become autopilot on eating slow and taking smaller bites. That is the only time I have trouble as far as stuck or PB.

Okay, then it's probably what I thought -- it's me! :tongue2: So long as I keep reminding myself of this, maybe I won't be so inclined to repeat. It's HORRIBLE and is too similar to my hiatal hernia experiences, which I was glad were over. :)

It's that much harder when you don't know what you're looking for -- am I too full or not full enough, am I eating just right, blah blah blah. lol

I have started trying to work a puzzle or something similar between bites. I am hoping that will help me slow down. I don't know what is going to help me with first bite syndrome.

i still use a salad plate - never graduated to the "big peoples" plate. if i was/am still hungry, i may grab a glass of skim milk.

Thank you for the suggestions, i hope i get to the place you are in weight loss.How long did it take you ,How many fills did it take to find the right spot and how do you know? Do you eat a snack at night? do you eat more than 3 times a day? I need some helpful hints thanks Lisa Lap 63

It's not like I overlooked those posts before I got banded (I wanted to know the good and the bad), but it just seems like it's quite a few. I feel bad that they are experiencing problems, and then it tends to concern me..

i think there have been enough who have posted band problems, that if any similar symptoms are happening to you....go to the dr, immediately.

how many threads a day are looking for medical advice here vs calling their surgical steam?? bizzare...i agree that sometimes symptoms go ignored before the problem gets a bit more out of control.

no 2 are alike - DH's band experience is NOTHING similar to mine; same results.

I have started trying to work a puzzle or something similar between bites. I am hoping that will help me slow down. I don't know what is going to help me with first bite syndrome.

That first bite gets me every day still! it will take me awhile,i have ate so fast my whole life ,i always think my bite was small enough ,but i guess not.How sick though,i get sickthen i sit down and then i do it right.Lisa lap 63

i think there have been enough who have posted band problems, that if any similar symptoms are happening to you....go to the dr, immediately.

how many threads a day are looking for medical advice here vs calling their surgical steam?? bizzare...i agree that sometimes symptoms go ignored before the problem gets a bit more out of control.

no 2 are alike - DH's band experience is NOTHING similar to mine; same results.

I even get a tingle and I plow the docs door down to get in. I just constantly assume the worse. Might be good or bad. Either way I know right away which it is lol. The older my band gets the more I might recognize some of whats going on. Right now I take no chances.

.How long did it take you ,How many fills did it take to find the right spot and how do you know? Do you eat a snack at night? do you eat more than 3 times a day? I need some helpful hints thanks Lisa Lap 63

i needed 8 fills = 8.5cc's/10cc band before any kind of restriction kicked in. i was pretty strict on myself the first 6-8 months because i barely lost 30lbs by then. was very frustrating because my husband needed like 2 fills and was at goal by the time i starting losing weight.

generally speaking - i'm not a night eater, nor ever was...so snacking late isn't an issue. i have 3 meals plus 1/2 Snacks depending on how active i am.

good luck lisa!

That first bite gets me every day still! it will take me awhile,i have ate so fast my whole life ,i always think my bite was small enough ,but i guess not.How sick though,i get sickthen i sit down and then i do it right.Lisa lap 63

I have done that too. That is when I have really taken a very large first bite (usually when I have gone too long between meals). I try to decide if I am going to eat or just have a shake just in case I have irritated my stomach. I am greatful that right now (knock on wood), I don't get the pain when I am stuck. I just get that feeling of the food sitting in my throat that won't move. It is a learning curve. I was so used to wolfing down my food that slowing down is foreign to me. Everything is so fast that I would be done eating in 10 minutes. I have to make an effort to slow down. It is so touch and go sometimes. I think we will get there in time. Good luck to you.

I even get a tingle and I plow the docs door down to get in. I just constantly assume the worse. Might be good or bad. Either way I know right away which it is lol. The older my band gets the more I might recognize some of whats going on. Right now I take no chances.

I am that way. My chart at the doctor's office is the size of a large book. I told her my chart looks like I am a hypochondriac (sp?):). She laughed, but I was so serious. I don't want trouble sneaking up on me only to find out that had I gone to the doctor sooner, something could have been done. I have too much family history to take chances.

I was so used to wolfing down my food that slowing down is foreign to me. Everything is so fast that I would be done eating in 10 minutes. I have to make an effort to slow down. It is so touch and go sometimes. I think we will get there in time. Good luck to you.

I used to wolf my food down, too before I got banded. When I was first banded, I quit eating after 20 minutes no matter what (that's what the band bible said to do). Now, I finish the portions I've served myself and sometimes it takes me 40 minutes to eat what I used to be able wolf down in 10. That's one way the band helps us all, I think. It takes us back to the basics and the proper way to chew and eat.