Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm very hesitant about going to restaurants after my surgery. Did anyone feel the same? What restaurants have you found to be "bariatric friendly"?

Believe it or not, Cheesecake Factory did it for me.. they tend to have a big menu option. chicken lettuce wrap is a fave..

I suggest any restaurant that has a menu posted online. Don't be shy about calling up and asking questions about specific dishes. I have eaten at Asian restaurants, Mexican, even Barbeque. There's almost always something appropriate :-)

I dont eat out often but i do it for my wife.

anyplace with a large appetizer list works for me. i tend to skip dinner plates.

i like the chicken won ton taco's at applebees . 3 real small chicken taco's and i ask to get my iced tea to go so i can drink it later in the car.

Dont be afraid to ask for something to left off.

always ask about sauces.

my one and only truly awful meal out was when i failed to ask about a sauce in a chinese restaurant and the sugar level in the sauce was much higher than i was expecting and i was sick as a dog by the time i was chewing on the 2nd bite. Talk about negative reinforcement. i know i never want to go thru that again.

i like to ask if they have salsa in the kitchen and ask for a small serving of it on the side so i can spice up things i might have pulled sauces from.

I’ve ate out maybe 5-6 times since surgery in November. Red Robin was a success, so was Panera. Sushi and Mexican not at all successful. Made my stomach feel like I was eating straight acid.

I’ve ate out maybe 5-6 times since surgery in November. Red Robin was a success, so was Panera. Sushi and Mexican not at all successful. Made my stomach feel like I was eating straight acid.

Lots of sugar in the sushi rice and of course teriyaki

I dont eat out often but i do it for my wife.
anyplace with a large appetizer list works for me. i tend to skip dinner plates.
i like the chicken won ton taco's at applebees . 3 real small chicken taco's and i ask to get my iced tea to go so i can drink it later in the car.
Dont be afraid to ask for something to left off.
always ask about sauces.< br> my one and only truly awful meal out was when i failed to ask about a sauce in a chinese restaurant and the sugar level in the sauce was much higher than i was expecting and i was sick as a dog by the time i was chewing on the 2nd bite. Talk about negative reinforcement. i know i never want to go thru that again.
i like to ask if they have salsa in the kitchen and ask for a small serving of it on the side so i can spice up things i might have pulled sauces from.

Thanks for the ideas!! Appetizers!!?? I never thought about that!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

I didn't eat out often even before my surgery, but when I did, I preferred local or small restaurants. Not too big on the chain restaurants. However, It is good to know that some chains do offer options, Thank you all for your input!

I dine out multiples time per week for business. My stomach as been tolerant of everything, so it hasn't been too big of a challenge. Assuming you are dining out near your home, I would focus on healthy items what will do well as left overs. I've found that just about every restaurants has items that at least semi appropriate.

I love going out to eat.

I look for a plain, beautifully cooked Protein. A steak. A piece of fish. Crab legs. chicken breast.

Pair it with a baked potato, or vegetable or side salad.

I bring tupperware with me. Cut off the portion I want to eat at the start of dinner, and pack the rest up. Don't even have to ask the waiter for a box...I have my own.

I'll do about a quarter cup of potato, and 2-3 ounces of protein, and nibble a few veggies.

I can usually get a lunch or two out of the leftovers if my hubby doesn't eat them first.

Soup and appetizers are a great option, too.

Chicken satay is a favorite. Chicken tortilla soup usually works.

At the asian buffets, I'll buy the carry out box and load up a plate with Proteins, mushrooms, peppers and onions and have them stir fry it on the hibachi while my family dines in on the buffet. I'll eat a half a cup from my carry out box and have tons to take home. (which again, usually gets eaten by my hubby before I get back to it)

For fast food, I'll do salads. Sometimes half an egg mcmuffin.

Here's a naughty meal on the run that I love...

1 KFC chicken drumstick original recipe 130 calories

Side of green Beans 25 calories

Side salad with fat free ranch 50 calories

205 calories...and I feel full. 14grams of protein

Looking forward to this forum and my husband is skinny and him and my friends are always asking me to eat and hang out. I might just take a couple bites of Protein of their plates and be good. I can ask for a coloring sheet and colors to keep busy when everyone else is finishing their meals.

2 minutes ago, mitchjoann132010 said:

Looking forward to this forum and my husband is skinny and him and my friends are always asking me to eat and hang out. I might just take a couple bites of Protein of their plates and be good. I can ask for a coloring sheet and colors to keep busy when everyone else is finishing their meals.

You'll need to eat slowly. So your few bites will take as long, if not longer, than their full meals!

1 hour ago, mitchjoann132010 said:

Great point!! And I love the ordering a drink to go advice!

I do this a lot now as well! I wait my 30 minutes and I have a nice drink waiting for me :)

One other thing I've found is I do take out more often now. I order Chili's take out, Olive Garden... ect. I don't have to pay for the drink and I can order off the kid's menu with no question. Best part- NO TIP!

Edited by AshAsh1