Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Over eating before surgery

I dont know if it's because the thought of having the surgery or the thought that I may never enjoy food again, but I'm over eating. I'm doing the 6 month insurance process and sense my first appointment I have been eating so much. Almost to the point of being sick. I'm not at all hungry just eating. I want to get on plan with eating healthy because I would like to lose 31lbs before surgery so I can be under 300 but it seems impossible right now. I drink a smoothie in the morning and feel like " I got this" but by lunch I'm eating everything and anything. Also I might mention I have pcos and have not had a period in 2 months. I wonder maybe if it also could be hormones. I eat a lot when it's that time a month and was thinking maybe my body thinks I'm having a menstrual. I dont know if my body is tricking me or what. If anyone could give me some advice or if you can relate I would like to hear what you got to say. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm doing my 6 month insurance process as well and I have the problem where I do great all weekend and then I destroy the weekends. I am not sure why either. I think maybe it is a fear of not getting to have those foods again. For me I think maybe I'm not busy enough on the weekends. I work out 5 times a week and kill it during the week, but man, the weekends get me. Do you take your lunch? I take my meals to work so I know that's all I can have during the work day. It keeps me on track better than if I say I can go to the gift shop or the cafeteria, I work in a hospital.

4 hours ago, beccaconaty87 said:

I dont know if it's because the thought of having the surgery or the thought that I may never enjoy food again, but I'm over eating. I'm doing the 6 month insurance process and sense my first appointment I have been eating so much. Almost to the point of being sick. I'm not at all hungry just eating. I want to get on plan with eating healthy because I would like to lose 31lbs before surgery so I can be under 300 but it seems impossible right now. I drink a smoothie in the morning and feel like " I got this" but by lunch I'm eating everything and anything. Also I might mention I have pcos and have not had a period in 2 months. I wonder maybe if it also could be hormones. I eat a lot when it's that time a month and was thinking maybe my body thinks I'm having a menstrual. I dont know if my body is tricking me or what. If anyone could give me some advice or if you can relate I would like to hear what you got to say. Thank you.

So look, I'm not gonna lie to you. I worked my ass off pre-op to lose weight and lost somewhere around 50+ lbs if I remember correctly? But along the way, I also had a few food funerals. But for the most part, my diet was very clean. I did this mainly cuz I was terrified that my liver would be as big as a foie gras goose liver! I wanted to reduce it over those 6 months. I truly was so scared I'd be the girl they'd open and close telling me, "Your liver was so damn big, I've never seen anything like it," and close me up without the surgery.

So I had surgery about 5weeks ago. The doc told me my liver was small and pink and did just what it was supposed to do--stayed silent and out of the way during my RNY. :) So the angst is worth it.

It's also worth it to decarb, dealcohol, desmoke, and decaffeinate. It's much easier to go through Keto flu without the operation to deal with too. My recovery was obscenely easy. The surgery was obscenely easy. Cuz I prepared like hell up front.

IF you are truly having eating issues and it sounds like you are, I'd look up a therapist--someone who specializes in bariatrics. I'd ask your surgeon. I would level with your team about what's going on with you and ask for help. My RD was all I needed, but some need more help. Don't be ashamed to do what you need to start your new life out on the right footing!!!

3 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

So look, I'm not gonna lie to you. I worked my ass off pre-op to lose weight and lost somewhere around 50+ lbs if I remember correctly? But along the way, I also had a few food funerals. But for the most part, my diet was very clean. I did this mainly cuz I was terrified that my liver would be as big as a foie gras goose liver! I wanted to reduce it over those 6 months. I truly was so scared I'd be the girl they'd open and close telling me, "Your liver was so damn big, I've never seen anything like it," and close me up without the surgery.

So I had surgery about 5weeks ago. The doc told me my liver was small and pink and did just what it was supposed to do--stayed silent and out of the way during my RNY. :) So the angst is worth it.

It's also worth it to decarb, dealcohol, desmoke, and decaffeinate. It's much easier to go through Keto flu without the operation to deal with too. My recovery was obscenely easy. The surgery was obscenely easy. Cuz I prepared like hell up front.

IF you are truly having eating issues and it sounds like you are, I'd look up a therapist--someone who specializes in bariatrics. I'd ask your surgeon. I would level with your team about what's going on with you and ask for help. My RD was all I needed, but some need more help. Don't be ashamed to do what you need to start your new life out on the right footing!!!

Did they recommend you do no carbs? I do almost a low carb, but like I said, I blew it this past weekend. I've lost 23lbs during my 6 moth, I still have 2 months left. I still eat some carbs though. I've tried keto and failed at it, I actually gained more weight. I just watch calories.

They recommended for me, that I do low carb at 60g of carbs per day, but that was because at the end she didn't want me to lose too much weight and drop below my 35BMI deck.

I don't and never did do Keto as it's defined today. But honestly, keto is anything that is low enough to get you into fat burning rather than sugar burning. So basically anything below 50-75g for most people. I just never added in the stupid amounts of excess fat the "new" keto adds. Mine was pure Atkins in the original '72 version that said: ONLY Protein adequate, only 20g carbs, and eat fat only to make it taste good. Eat ONLY until hunger is assuaged--but not until full.

That's vastly different from most people's concept of low carb, which is that it is a protein and fat fest. I absolutely have to watch calories like a hawk! And I have to watch fat too and protein cuz I'm very good at gluconeogenesis. I've only ever eaten around 65-75g of protein daily. That's what my RD wants me eating now. LOL. Ironic right?

The idea behind it is because ketosis brings hunger cessation, that you NATURALLY eat fewer calories and thus, lose weight (and you also burn about 400 extra cals/day just converting protein and foods into ketones and a tiny bit of glucose needed to run your body).

Congrats on your loss so far! Chances are by doing what you're doing, your liver is gonna be extra pretty!

Edited by FluffyChix

I struggled so much during my 6-month supervised diet and pre-op. Mine was all mental - I figured I would never be able to eat "good" food again and so I had to eat all of the junk available to make up for the rest of my life. I managed to squeak out a 6 lb loss during my supervised diet (I was over 350 lbs so that was pretty much nothing). My surgeon doesn't require any sort of special pre-op diet so I was having food funerals literally up until the day before surgery. The only thing I did "right" was to cut out caffeine. Thankfully I did fine during surgery though I'm sure I was at much higher risk because of my poor eating prior. But, post-op I had the worst time because not only was I dealing with the normal post-op stuff I was also going through a massive detox from the sugar, carbs and junk. The headaches, cravings and moodiness were just not worth it. But, it is HARD so don't feel like you are failing if you slip a few times. Just do the best you can. And know that you can have good food after surgery but your definition of what is "good" will change. Now that I'm over a year out I can eat pretty much anything - I choose not to eat the junk now because I no longer crave it and my relationship with food is completely different but if I really want a taste of something I can have a bite. In hindsight I really regret not doing better during my pre-op phase but I also know that nothing anyone said would have changed my behavior...it's just something I had to figure out myself. Best of luck to you!

21 minutes ago, Sadiebug said:

I struggled so much during my 6-month supervised diet and pre-op. Mine was all mental - I figured I would never be able to eat "good" food again and so I had to eat all of the junk available to make up for the rest of my life. I managed to squeak out a 6 lb loss during my supervised diet (I was over 350 lbs so that was pretty much nothing). My surgeon doesn't require any sort of special pre-op diet so I was having food funerals literally up until the day before surgery. The only thing I did "right" was to cut out caffeine. Thankfully I did fine during surgery though I'm sure I was at much higher risk because of my poor eating prior. But, post-op I had the worst time because not only was I dealing with the normal post-op stuff I was also going through a massive detox from the sugar, carbs and junk. The headaches, cravings and moodiness were just not worth it. But, it is HARD so don't feel like you are failing if you slip a few times. Just do the best you can. And know that you can have good food after surgery but your definition of what is "good" will change. Now that I'm over a year out I can eat pretty much anything - I choose not to eat the junk now because I no longer crave it and my relationship with food is completely different but if I really want a taste of something I can have a bite. In hindsight I really regret not doing better during my pre-op phase but I also know that nothing anyone said would have changed my behavior...it's just something I had to figure out myself. Best of luck to you!

Thank you for this. I have been hard on my self for my slip ups, but I'm right back on track this morning.

I think you are self destructing. You are doing what I did, and countless others have done on other diets "I'll eat alot today, because I start my diet tomorrow," but then, it the next day, then next day, then next day.

If you gain weight, your insurance will deny it, or some doctors will just drop you. I was in an office visit and witnessed an irate patient when he got the news.

What are you supposed to be eating right now? My program had me on a diet, that I actually lost more than any other diet, and I was cooking my food for the first time, maybe a good diet, or I took it more seriously. It was something like 35-40% Protein calories, 30/30% carb and fat.

Are you logging your food? If not do so, use Myfitnesspal and scan/search your foods. You need to qauntify what you are doing so you can start to fix it.

Drop the smoothie, eat something like eggs, celery in the morning it may fill you up more. Have a healthy snack that contains Protein, it's recommended.

You need to start easing into your diet. Perhaps precook your meals. I did that alot. 7-8 oz chicken breast, pan fried vegetables.

Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app

Maybe you need a bigger meal in the morning? I oftentimes switched my lunch and Breakfast amounts.

Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app

You do a lot of walking during the week, most nurses do. On the weekends go for walks outside in the fresh air. Look for something new or that has changed since your last walk there. If you think your neighbors won't think you're going bonkers every little bit, stop, stretch your arms out wide and hug the world. You are outside, feeling healthier, certainly more than most of your,patients, you're free, a wonderful person, exalt in joy at life. Your surgery will make you new and improved, now you better can share yourself with others[emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

With me during the 6 month process (I finished the process but now im switching surgery date from May to sooner) I ate fine all 6 months it’s now that I’m having problems eating everything in sight bc of the fear that I won’t be able to enjoy everything after surgery

8 minutes ago, angjade2 said:

With me during the 6 month process (I finished the process but now im switching surgery date from May to sooner) I ate fine all 6 months it’s now that I’m having problems eating everything in sight bc of the fear that I won’t be able to enjoy everything after surgery

You don't believe this, but you can "enjoy" everything post surgery that you can pre-surgery. Swearsies. The CHALLENGE is in not eating it. Post-surgery, something magical happens to many of us--don't know how long it lasts...but I ACTIVELY want to make better choices. It isn't the nailbiter making better choices once was. It's like my mind and tummy are finally on board with the master plan.

So I had surgery about 5weeks ago. The doc told me my liver was small and pink and did just what it was supposed to do--stayed silent and out of the way during my RNY. [emoji4] So the angst is worth it.

Thank you so much for your response. So I did the 6 month process last year and did great. Lost like 40-50lbs and did everything right. Was given a surgery date and didn't follow through. Because of the weight I lost on my own I thought I could do it on my own and didn't want to take the risk at surgery. Well over the last year I gained 15 or so of those pounds back and realized I cant do it all on my own, no matter how good I was eating. So i jumped back on the train to surgery. This go round though i dont know if it's the fear I won't go through again if I lose the weight or that I'm so positive about the surgery I'm scared of not getting to eat the stuff I do now that I'm having a food funeral. I know that I already have a fatty liver so that does scare me and I do want to be in the best shape before surgery. I see a counselor and all though I wanted to keep my surgery somewhat of a secret I think I will talk to her. I'm suppose to be doing the south beach diet. Which for the last year I have been on a diet that has been some what the same as the keto diet, but sense starting back up with the surgery all the progress I made with that diet has gone out the window

Look this is your golden shot. Don't fu*k it up. Right? The time for secretive behavior is gone. You know? Put it ALL out on the table cuz at NO other time, will you have a team of professionals at your beck and call whose sole mission is to help you lose the weight. You know? So take EVERY advantage of them and work your keester off.

Most of us can lose and lose big. NBD. So what. But most of us 95%+ are incapable of keeping it off long term Some of that is our own fault (we revert to old habits and go back to eating the same old crap that brought us to the super morbidly obese ball in the first place). But other parts are beyond our control (hormones et al).

This surgery will give us a better shot at long term weight loss success. But it isn't magical. You eat the wrong things you regain. And it's worse than you can possibly imagine to get it off again at that point. So don't regain.

Back to the original statement: This is your golden shot. Don't be a screw up. Don't fu*k it up.

Determine that you are emotionally ready to change your relationship with food FOREVS!

Look this is your golden shot. Don't fu*k it up. Right? The time for secretive behavior is gone. You know? Put it ALL out on the table cuz at NO other time, will you have a team of professionals at your beck and call whose sole mission is to help you lose the weight. You know? So take EVERY advantage of them and work your keester off.
Most of us can lose and lose big. NBD. So what. But most of us 95%+ are incapable of keeping it off long term Some of that is our own fault (we revert to old habits and go back to eating the same old crap that brought us to the super morbidly obese ball in the first place). But other parts are beyond our control (hormones et al).
This surgery will give us a better shot at long term weight loss success. But it isn't magical. You eat the wrong things you regain. And it's worse than you can possibly imagine to get it off again at that point. So don't regain.
Back to the original statement: This is your golden shot. Don't be a screw up. Don't fu*k it up.
Determine that you are emotionally ready to change your relationship with food FOREVS!

Thank you so much I really appreciate you being honest and supportive. I'm not gonna mess this up.