Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm so lost 1.5 months post op, please share your guidelines :(

Hello all! I just signed up here because I'm finding myself completely lost :(

I was sleeved 1/30/18 with Dr. Khrais in Jordan. I stayed there four days and then flew back home to Qatar. I'm currently a month and a half post op and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. I was given a diet to follow for a month (liquids, no chunks, purees), and since the month ended, I'm kinda just doing my own thing and eating chicken/fish/meat and veggies.

I keep seeing posts about getting your Protein in, but I'm confused because I was never given any guidance for protein intake...or otherwise, really. I'm really feeling like I should be doing a lot more in terms of exercise/protein, so I'd like some guidance based off what your surgeon instructed you to do. I know that every surgeon has a different plan, but it will still be super helpful so I can get an idea.

Also, when should I see the bariatric surgeon for a follow up? I'm trying to get an appointment scheduled with one in Qatar, and I'm honestly worried because I've gone a month and a half without a checkup.

Also, I've lost 28 pounds since surgery, is that good, should I be losing more? I personally feel like things are moving superrrr slow :(

Edited by skinnyminnie2018

Ok so for my surgeon it is 80-100 grams of Protein a day and 64 oz of Water also a bariatric Multivitamin x2 a day and calcium citrate x3 a day they want you to get like 1500 mg of Calcium with
Vit d3

Sent from my SM-T380 using BariatricPal mobile app

17 minutes ago, newmebithebypass said:

Ok so for my surgeon it is 80-100 grams of Protein a day and 64 oz of Water also a bariatric Multivitamin x2 a day and calcium citrate x3 a day they want you to get like 1500 mg of Calcium with
Vit d3

Thanks for the reply! Did you start the Protein intake immediately after surgery?

Oh I haven't had surgery yet lol that's just what's in my binder each patient is given a binder to follow forever but for Protein Shakes we are supposed to use whey isolate as the first ingredient because it is what absorbs the best by the body

The three most important elements after surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through meal volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over time increase the volume of your meals. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein Shakes for awhile.

Protein Requirement

75-90 grams of protein per day

Your daily protein requirement is met by a combination of the amount of protein you obtain from food combined with the amount of protein from protein supplements (protein shakes, protein bars).

There are many different types of formulations on protein shakes. I would recommend that you keep experimenting until you find one that you can tolerate. You don't have to like it, just tolerate it. I used Muscle Milk Light (Vanilla Creme) powder blended with Water and a half a banana. That worked for me. But on the opposite end of the spectrum, you might try premixed Isopure.

Without sufficient protein, your body will scavenge protein from other areas of your body, such as your muscles. Protein is extremely important after surgery as its job in the body is to build and maintain tissues including your body's major organs and skeletal muscles. Protein deficiency, when continued over a long period of time can cause a disease known as protein caloric malnutrition. Common symptoms are poor healing, fatigue, Hair loss and muscle wasting. Immediate post op, protein promotes healing of the staple line and incisions.

Fluid Requirement

64-80 ounces of fluids per day

It is common for your taste buds to change after surgery. Be willing to experiment. After surgery, my taste buds changed dramatically. Even water changed. In the hospital it tasted excessively chlorinated and I could not drink it. So I experimented. sugar free popsicles became my best friend. Some individuals find hot or cold can help with fluids. For me, I found that I could tolerate flavored water. So I began using Crystal Light. I also found a new drink Bai which I liked cold. In the winter, I found that I tolerate Hot Drinks such as piping hot cocoa. But you have to use the "No Sugar Added" variety. Also fine English teas were very good.

The fluid requirement is met by a combination. It is not only the water that you drink each day. But also the water you drink when you take your Vitamins and medicine. It is the milk you drink. It is the fluids content of the protein shakes. It is the water component of the Soups you take. It is met by flavored water such as Crystal Light. It is met by sugar free popsicles. It is met by tea and Decaf coffee. It is a combination of all the fluids that you consume during the day.

Vitamin Requirement

Three Flintstone's complete chewable Multivitamins daily (or equivalent)

1200 to 1500 mg. calcium citrate daily

500 to 1000 micrograms sublingual B12 weekly or 1000 mcg. IM injection once monthly.

100 mg. Thiamine (Vitamin B1) weekly.

It is important to put a 2 hour separation between the vitamins that contain Iron and those that contain Calcium. I was told not to use gummy vitamins because they are not absorbed properly nor to use any time release vitamins.

• My program requires 60-90 grams of Protein per day.
  • 64 ounces of Water (or non caloric liquid). It can be very difficult to get your liquid in, so keep in mind that you can always add some type of flavor to make it easier to drink. It is common for WLS patients to develop nausea to plain water after surgery. I recommend crystal light, caffeine free tea, Stur drops, or even fruit infused water.
  • Stay away from the following foods: white breads, Pasta, fried food, caloric beverages, carbonation, alcohol (for min. 6 months), and foods with processed and refined sugar.
  • Getting in at least 30 minutes of exercise 5-7 days per week.
  • Vitamins- I attached a guide that lists what the ASMBS recommends for a daily intake. I achieve this by taking a bariatric Vitamin and I also supplement extra Vitamin D/Calcium and Biotin.
  • Also, my program is BIG about only eating 3 meals a day, with 1 snack if needed. So it is important to eat your protein first, then your non-starchy vegetable, and if you have room... a fruit OR starch can be incorporated 1 time daily. I eat approximately a 1/2 cup per meal, sometimes a up to a cup if it is Soup.

BariLifeVitaminGuidesm.pdf