Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking liquids after surgery

Surgery is March 12 and what I’m most scared about is getting enough Water afterward. Also, my surgeon has me going straight to stage 2 purred food. My questions:

1) Does Protein water count toward your water goal? What about Protein Shakes?

2) I’ve read that it will initially take 10 min to drink an ounce. How long before you can just take normal sips?

3) Does yogurt, hummus, Soup etc count as “food” i.e. will I have to wait 30 minutes after these foods to drink water?

Thanks!

My surgeon has us sip 1 ounce of liquid over 15 mins in the first few days. I am still on liquids (the end is near!!!!) and what I have been doing starting in the hospital is Protein Drinks, Gatorade, broth (I put Unjury Protein powders in my broth) and Water. Earlier this week I added Decaf coffee (I have always drank decaf). I have been able to drink pretty normally (not gulp but regular sips) for some time now.

More importantly, if you follow the directions your surgeon gives you, things will be fine.

39 minutes ago, NYCNomad said:

Surgery is March 12 and what I’m most scared about is getting enough Water afterward. Also, my surgeon has me going straight to stage 2 purred food. My questions:

1) Does Protein Water count toward your water goal? What about Protein Shakes?

2) I’ve read that it will initially take 10 min to drink an ounce. How long before you can just take normal sips?

3) Does yogurt, hummus, Soup etc count as “food” i.e. will I have to wait 30 minutes after these foods to drink water?

Thanks!

I am on March 12th too! We're just two days away. Anyhow, to answer your questions ... number 1 is yes and 3 is yes. As for number 2, this is very much dependent on the individual person. I wish I could remember why they want food and drink spaced out.

8 minutes ago, Mattymatt said:

I am on March 12th too! We're just two days away. Anyhow, to answer your questions ... number 1 is yes and 3 is yes. As for number 2, this is very much dependent on the individual person. I wish I could remember why they want food and drink spaced out.

Because in the early days you can overdrink and get nauseous/vomit-y

@The Dora Milaje Is this a habit that one will need to keep for the rest of their lives?

Just now, Mattymatt said:

@The Dora Milaje Is this a habit that one will need to keep for the rest of their lives?

The sipping? Am pretty sure no because I am drinking like a regular person now. Just in the early days.

And yes, you will always have to space out food and drink (I get to start solid food on Tuesday so haven't had to negotiate all of this yet).

Ok. Yes Protein Drinks count initially because you need all the liquid you can get, but thick shakes aren't always as hydrating. Do not worry about meeting Protein goals at first - get the liquids in above all else. Try warm tea, or broth first as it helps inflammation, or opposite - sf popsicles - each of us reacts differently. WARNING: smells after surgery could make you nauseous and so can some tastes.

The food stages are all about tolerating textures, do not rush this if you find yourself nauseated. And you will have discomfort swallowing, lots of gas, belching, loud intestinal noises, you will have dry mouth from anesthetic. Carry a thermal cup with you everywhere and just sip, sip, sip and walk.

BEG the anesthesiologist for the scopolamine patch for nausea before they put you under - it works so well.

About the patch, I got blurry vision afterward and it was really scary. People should know its a side effect