Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Constipation to the max - two a&e visits

I’ve had four days of severe pain, two hospital visits and pretty much nothing to eat since Thursday. Thought it was indigestion at first - awful wind and bloating. Now taking Movicol - just had fourth dose (as x-ray showed constipation) and still no movement. Eating causes serious pain so I’ve eaten some peppermint on nurse advice, drinking mint tea and that’s it.

What I’d like to know... how do I reset once bowels have moved? I’m terrified to eat. Had a little non dairy milk yesterday (ancient grains) and spent an hour rocking in pain afterward.

I mean really? Poo? This much pain?

Ambulance staff and doctors did say though that post gastric b should always get abdominal pain checked out so less guilty about accessing overloaded nhs 🤠

When did you have your surgery? Some individuals suffer Constipation right after surgery when they are in the full liquid diet stage. For me is was near the end of the weight loss phase around 6 months in.

If you recently had the surgery, it is important to take some Probiotics. Generally when you are in the hospital, you are given antibiotics to kill any bad bacteria floating around the hospital. These antibiotics not only kill the bad bacteria but also the good bacteria in your gut. This good bacteria help with processing food. Therefore you need to reestablish the colonies of good gut bacteria after you are off the antibiotics.

Walking is the best way to relieve gas pain.

Liquid Protein diet made me horribly constipated right after surgery. Use suppositories and Miralax, lots and lots of Water, add some Fiber supplement but gradually make sure to drink water. Once you can ingest some vegetables, it will be a little better. At 4 months I find a serving of cashews works for me - likely the fat.

Thanks guys. Surgery was December 16. Weight loss all finished since sept. Had Constipation before but never at this level. Taking miracol. Buscopl. Tried eating some prunes and tangerine earlier but still getting overflow rather than losing the backlog. Fourth day in no energy to do much more than doze!

I've ordered psyllium powder (surgeon's recommendation) and alforex.

Just want normal back - was working out regularly and really enjoying life in the slim zone!

This is one of my fears😳 Surgery is March 13th. Any tips for avoiding this post surgery or does everyone have this problem? I take a capsule probiotic now, will I be able to take a capsule or is there a liquid probiotic? Thanks🙏

I am in the hospital about 5 days for the same constipated and my potasio is very low.... I want go home.. but I need used the bath first they give to a lot stuff for used but anything work... I am very scared I am 5 week post.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Well I wish you luck. I'm still un-pooed. Apart from some very nasty overflow. I ate something earlier and it was like the alien film for a while watching this lump of gas moving through!

Friend used to say to me 'this too shall pass" quickly please I'd say for us both!!!

Anyone tried stevia, or splenda (both know to cause diarrhea in large doses)? When I feel backed up I add some to tea (like 6 packets) and within 3 hrs I'm completely cleared.
But consult physicians first

I’m a big fan of my bidet. The Water works wonders. I got mine for 45$ and they are easy to install.

Alright, I have to chime in on this topic. First off, sorry that you are backed up and in pain. As someone who has dealt with severe pain from being constipated to the extreme and having an impacted bowel a few weeks ago (hosp stay), I feel your pain.

I take the whole psyllium husk, it's a good thing to get started on, and it's natural, which I like. Had another colonoscopy last week and all was good. I have been told that I have sluggish bowels and that I will have to learn to live with it.

Suggestions are Miralax daily, psyllium husk daily, and if you need to, milk of magnesia. See what works for you. You just don't want to get severely backed up to where you get impacted or get a perforated bowel or an obstruction... oh my.

Last resort, but don't wait too long, a Fleet enema and drink a bottle of magnesium citrate. Stay close to the pot for the next several hours.

These are all recommendations from my surgeon and gastroenterologist and obviously, not everybody needs to take some of these extreme measures. But if you are going to the ER (been there, so many times), then you need to get cleaned out asap.

Good luck and feel better soon!

Thanks. Surgeons said Movicol still, liquid diet 24/48 hours n see what happens. Pain not so bad now, sucking peppermints for the gas, but still just overflow.
Thanks for the reply. Worst thing about this sort of ill is no one wants to hear about it!!!
Five year olds would giggle at most of the symptoms though!!!

14 hours ago, Francess said:

This is one of my fears😳 Surgery is March 13th. Any tips for avoiding this post surgery or does everyone have this problem? I take a capsule probiotic now, will I be able to take a capsule or is there a liquid probiotic? Thanks🙏

I found a liquid probiotic made by KeVita.

Thanks pruplesleeve for the detective work:)

(anyone use this product?)

I’ve started alforex. Had one movement I’m told probably not overflow. Surgeon wants me to stay on liquids til Monday, two Movicol at night, and soft foods Monday. He’s still querying bowel hernia but I’m more comfortable than I was. And a well timed snow day means I don’t have to try work til Monday [emoji41] who’d have thunk Constipation could have stunk so much! In every possible way!!

Good news ...gotta love snow days ❄️❤️(retired teacher)