Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 16 days post-op VSG. I lost 11lb the first week, gained back 3, and haven’t lost anything since. I’ve heard a stall around week 3 is normal but to literally stall after the first week is irritating!!

I’m getting very frustrated but also reminding myself that this is a marathon, not a sprint. I’ve been measuring and I’ve been losing inches and I can tell in just how my body feels that I’m smaller, but it’s still frustrating not seeing that scale move.

I’ve been cleared to exercise but I haven’t started yet because my mood and depression have been absolutely awful, I can barely get out of bed (nothing to do with physical pain or recovery-simply my brain). I’m getting about 400-500 calories a day, sometimes less as I can barely get an entire Protein Shake in or more than 2tbsp of soup/purée at a time.

Did you all find that the weight started “melting off” when you incorporated exercise in? I feel like walking (aside from the 20 min around the house they told me to do upon discharge) and exercise in general will help but as noted above, I’m having trouble motivating myself.

Any advice/tips/tricks would be helpful!!

HW: 252

SW: 239

CW: 231

GW: 145 or lower

Height: 5’3

Blog: https://fearlessagentofchange.wordpress.com

Twitter: hd_buttahz

Instagram: agenthdbuttahz

How do you figure your post surgical loss? Did you take your pre-surgery weight and subtract out the number on the scale today to see it=11lbs? Or did you take your post surgical weight and subtract out the number on the scale today to equal 11lbs?

Thanks!

How do you figure your post surgical loss? Did you take your pre-surgery weight and subtract out the number on the scale today to see it=11lbs? Or did you take your post surgical weight and subtract out the number on the scale today to equal 11lbs?

Thanks!

I weighed 239 the day of surgery, weighed 228 1 week post-op and for the last week I’ve been 231

I stalled at one week.

3 minutes ago, hdbuttahz said:

I weighed 239 the day of surgery, weighed 228 1 week post-op and for the last week I’ve been 231

Very cool! Great results! Congrats to you on a successful surgery and on your losses!

I'm sure others will be along shortly, but in my experience pre-surg, weight loss is never linear. If I have a big ol' drop, I can be sure it will be followed by a stair step pattern. You lose fat and Fluid and your body rushes to re-establish equilibrium by filling the fat cells with Water. Then you shed it and the scale moves down and the process repeats. :)

Here's a shot of my last 180days of losses.

wtgraph020818.JPG.8809735ea6af887a51e8273e81e45d4a.JPG

I am 16 days post-op VSG. I lost 11lb the first week, gained back 3, and haven’t lost anything since. I’ve heard a stall around week 3 is normal but to literally stall after the first week is irritating!!
I’m getting very frustrated but also reminding myself that this is a marathon, not a sprint. I’ve been measuring and I’ve been losing inches and I can tell in just how my body feels that I’m smaller, but it’s still frustrating not seeing that scale move.
I’ve been cleared to exercise but I haven’t started yet because my mood and depression have been absolutely awful, I can barely get out of bed (nothing to do with physical pain or recovery-simply my brain). I’m getting about 400-500 calories a day, sometimes less as I can barely get an entire Protein Shake in or more than 2tbsp of soup/purée at a time.
Did you all find that the weight started “melting off” when you incorporated exercise in? I feel like walking (aside from the 20 min around the house they told me to do upon discharge) and exercise in general will help but as noted above, I’m having trouble motivating myself.
Any advice/tips/tricks would be helpful!!

I'm the same as you. I'm 4 weeks post op tomorrow. In week 1 I lost 8.5lbs, week 2 I lost 2.5lbs and last week I lost 0lbs. I normally weigh myself on a Friday but I have been a bit down over it so I weighed myself Wednesday morning and found I have gained 2lbs. It's so disheartening this early. I've a review with my surgeon Monday so I hope he'll help me. I'm following all I've been told to do. But I feel I can eat so much more than I should be even though I am eating so much less than before. I'm stressed from it. But you are right. It's a marathon. A life long one! Just do our best and support each other on this site. I work for a doctor who told me it's normal to stall for a month then it'll start coming off. We are still healing too. Best of luck!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgeon told me not to even think about my weight, just concentrate on the Protein, Water, Vitamins, and exercise. Of course, I had the surgery to lose weight, so I've been weighing myself and keeping track, but this is not a linear process at all. I've been stalled three or four times at least--sometimes for weeks--but IF I do what I'm supposed to, the weight comes off. You will also stall; your loss will not be as fast as you'd like; and the loss will slow down over time. I'm just guessing, of course.

Yup, that was me. Lost 11 lbs the first week and then stalled for the next two, zero movement of the scale but I could see and feel my clothes especially my shirts getting looser. Then after the two week stall I dropped around 7 lbs then on and off for the next couple of weeks.

I don’t stress anymore because if I don’t see the scale moving this week I’m pretty sure I will do the following one.

HW - 209
SW - 200
CW - 177
Surgery Date - 12/19/17

I think you're doing great, keep up the great work. More weight loss is coming.

I want to answer your question about incorporating exercise.

My personal experience is definitely not the norm. The day of surgery, I weighed 312 lbs. I had a lot of prior and existing health problems, including chronic pain. I was unable to exercise because of those problems. I literally stayed in bed for most of the first 13 months after my sleeve surgery. During that time, I lost over 100 pounds.

I am currently very much on the mend, I turned a corner in January. For the first time since 2014, I am able to exercise, get lots of housework done, be very active, get out of the house and am getting on with my life.

Yes, if I had been able to exercise sooner, the weight would have come of more quickly....a lot of people here will attest to that.

Exercise is definitely good. But, sometimes, you just can't do it for either physical or mental reasons. It is also normal to go through mental changes, lack of energy, etc after surgery. You will get to the point when you are ready to incorporate exercise into your plan. When you're ready, start slowly and then work your way up. In the meantime, while you currently aren't exercising, as long as you follow the plan, the weight will come off.

Edited by mylighthouse

I'm 3 weeks and 3 days post o.p. I've lost 30 lbs thus far and this week NOTHING! I'm glad someone said something... I was about to call my Dr. I'm not getting all my liquids and I don't feel like I'm peeing enough either. So I thought something was wrong. I didn't have a scale before surgery but now I do and I want to throw it out!!!! You all made me feel better...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using BariatricPal mobile app

This sounds completely like me. Was sleeved 1/8/17, lost 8.5 pounds in the first week, put back on 2 pounds then stayed there for 2.5 weeks. By a month out I had only lost 10 pounds and was so worried my surgeon was going to be disappointed. They told me I was right where they wanted me though and I've started to dial back my expectations. I think in my mind I thought the weight would just fall off in droves like it did the first week and I think that's unrealistic, for me anyway.

13 hours ago, hdbuttahz said:

I’ve been losing inches and I can tell in just how my body feels that I’m smaller

If you're body is constantly changing, whether it be a lbs or inches, that IMO is not a stall. Try not to focus so much on the scale number, it will go up and down, and so many get frustrated and start stressing...and we all know that stress isn't good. Stress, can really keep you in a "stall" Relax...take the cue from those before you and know that these things will happen. Stick to your program and it'll come off. :) Be encouraged and blessings on your journey hon.

Edited by Newme17