Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Embarrassing question

I was sleeved 1/9. Ever since I’ve had bad breath. I noticed first (I thought it was my husband). But it wasn’t it was me. Now my husband has noticed. Some days are worse than others. I went to the dentist- they don’t see any tooth decay and I’ve only noticed this since surgery! Ugh!!!

Anyone else?????

White tongue? Thrush? I'm struggling too. I think it's pretty normal because your body is in ketosis. I got a script for Thrush and it's getting better. Everyone around me seems to have the worst breath [emoji30]

24 minutes ago, atphiladephia said:

Ever since I’ve had bad breath

Goes with ketosis.

Will improve but it is a productive of the change to a high-protein, low-carb existence.

Keto breath.. unfortunately breath spray or similar is the only thing that seems to help. Hopefully you don’t also get the keto rash, which is no fun!

Can we chew gum? I don't remember them saying

Sent from my SM-N910P using BariatricPal mobile app

I was told no gum chewing.

Totally ketosis. I had the same thing and it’s totally common, especially the first 6 weeks after surgery. It was so bad at one point that when my husband and I were just talking, he stopped for a second and asked if the cat or dog had an accident. Nope, no animals pooped in the house, it was my breath. That was an awesome moment bc I was totally paranoid after that. Strong, sugar free mints were my constant companion.

Sleeved 8/7/17 HW: 256 SW: 248
CW: 197 on 1/3/18 5'7" GW: 150

I had the same issue after my surgery for a few months. My body Fluid all smelled terrible too. I couldn't stand myself. The good news is that it goes goes away after a while and that terrible smell is a sign you're burning fat. I still burn fat, but I don't have the odor. I think it's because I upped my calories.

Mmmm ...

My wife says that the worst thing for her about my ketosis period was the change in the smell [READ: lingering smell] of my urine.

Even after only seconds in the toilet bowl and an almost immediate flush, she said that it was a very different odour than anything in our life together.

All is okay now but she said that it was a very testing 6-7 weeks and we went through two aerosol packs of Glen20 and two pump-packs of Nil-Odour to save her nose.

I could NOT tell any difference but she said it was quite pronounced.

I was told no gum chewing.

Try mints or breath strips. Gum is dangerous if swallowed, specifically for by-pass folks. Also I did tempt fate with it and got terribly nauseated from swallowing air not long after surgery. Almost vomited while driving. The breath gets better in a few months. I carried a travel tooth brush.

I'm 5 months out and can chew it now (sleeved).

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

4 minutes ago, trying4me said:

I carried a travel tooth brush.

Ditto that.

I keep one (and nice aromatic toothpaste) in the centre console in my car.

I am conscious of a quick brush before each job I do or each client I speak to.

Eat some healthy carbs.

High Protein diets cause an excess of ammonia to be exhaled...that smells a bit like a ripe litter pan.

Excess keytones smell fruity, or like acetone (think nail polish) depending on the concentration.

It adds up to some very funky breath that you can't do anything about...because it's coming out of your lungs...not your mouth.

If you balance your diet with healthy carbs, you will experience better breath and a better diversity of gut bacteria.

Edited by Creekimp13

As you can tell, we've all had it. My dietician tells me sugar free gum is fine, as long as I DO NOT swallow it.