Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was recently diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea and was told I needed to use a CPAP machine whenever sleeping. I always had a problem with fatigue before but I'm plan tired now. This machine keeps me up all hours of the night. I've tried having the pressure reduced and have tried all the different masks. I just can't get use to this new addition to my life. Also it feels like I'm having a harder time than normal breathing while I'm awake. Has anyone else had problems adjusting to a CPAP?

I was recently diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea and was told I needed to use a CPAP machine whenever sleeping. I always had a problem with fatigue before but I'm plan tired now. This machine keeps me up all hours of the night. I've tried having the pressure reduced and have tried all the different masks. I just can't get use to this new addition to my life. Also it feels like I'm having a harder time than normal breathing while I'm awake. Has anyone else had problems adjusting to a CPAP?

I'm sorry to hear that....I feel so much better since I got mine. I would talk to your pulmonary doctor. Good luck! Have you had your surgery already and lost a lot of weight ? If so you may need a different size mask and the air flow adjusted. Just a thought I'm no expert

Sent from my XT1650 using BariatricPal mobile app

That's a great idea! I'll call the pulmonary Drs. It's been terrible these last 9 nights. I'm pre operation with lots of weight to lose. Just started with all the medical requirements for insurance. sleep study...check... Occupational therapy... check... 5 or so more appointments to go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

The good news is that when you lose enough weight...you can get off the CPAP:) Doesn't help you for now....but it's something to look forward to.

I had trouble adjusting to a CPAP after getting one. I was usually partially congested at all times, which made using the CPAP during sleep even more difficult, so I went to an ENT who said I had a rather severely deviated septum. One septoplasty later and I'm breathing much better all the time. I was told not to go back to the CPAP for six months after the surgery but once I did it worked fine, though that was after another overnight sleep test and a few adjustments to my machine.

Now I almost always sleep through the night with no problem. I can't say I feel more refreshed in the mornings since I'm still far too overweight and won't be having the sleeve surgery until May or so. But that stats from the machine show I'm having many fewer apneatic events each night and the snoring doesn't bother my wife any more, so it's still a win.

Hi. I have been on CPAP now for about 3 weeks. The issue I had in the beginning was it made everything smell burnt. I roamed around my office looking for wires that were burning!!.. But, eventually, after increasing the moisture level, its ok now. I feel so much better and am having 1-2 episodes a night vs. 90+ an hour. So, keep with it, it can be adjusted!. Good Luck.

Hi. I have been on CPAP now for about 3 weeks. The issue I had in the beginning was it made everything smell burnt. I roamed around my office looking for wires that were burning!!.. But, eventually, after increasing the moisture level, its ok now. I feel so much better and am having 1-2 episodes a night vs. 90+ an hour. So, keep with it, it can be adjusted!. Good Luck.

It's kind of put a hold on my surgery I don't want to go into surgery without being able to breathe properly.. I'm soo sad that I'm just unable to adapt to the CPAP. I'm trying so hard but took it off again last night after 3 hours of use. The pressure in unnatural.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

1 minute ago, blind unicorn said:

I'm trying so hard but took it off again last night after 3 hours of use. The pressure in unnatural.

Did you have an overnight sleep test with your sleep doctor? If not you may need to. When I got my recent CPAP, the insurance company would not pay for the overnight test and just approved the machine for me and the doctor could only pretty much guess what the settings would need to be. It's only when the doctor told the insurance company that the guessing waan't working that they approved the overnight test, but once he found the proper settings I've been sleeping great ever since.

You need to contact your sleep doctor and check into either having the sleep test or getting your settings adjusted. Also, talk to your weight loss surgeon and let him/her make the determination regarding whether you need the CPAP in working condition before the surgery or not.

I couldnt do the full mask......was too confusing to figure out which to breathe out of....mouth or nose.

the small nose mask was much easier for me. Have you tried that one?

Hi. I feel your pain. My sleep was/is so interrupted by the C-PAP. It made my sleep worse and me more tired. I thought I had it figured and tried new headgear and a smaller nasal pillow. One of the things that sometimes happens is I wake up startled only to realize that the nasal pillow is now on my cheek and loudly blowing air out!

My compliance is based on using machine when sleeping for at least 4 hours 23 days of the month. I saw my pulmonologist and my compliance was good and she was happy. I took a few days breather from it to get longer sleep and last night I used it and couldn't get my 4 hours in.

My doctor did say that it can be hard to get used to and I explained the headgear issue. She said to just keep trying because I am compliant

I wish you luck.

Hi. I feel your pain. My sleep was/is so interrupted by the C-PAP. It made my sleep worse and me more tired. I thought I had it figured and tried new headgear and a smaller nasal pillow. One of the things that sometimes happens is I wake up startled only to realize that the nasal pillow is now on my cheek and loudly blowing air out!

My compliance is based on using machine when sleeping for at least 4 hours 23 days of the month. I saw my pulmonologist and my compliance was good and she was happy. I took a few days breather from it to get longer sleep and last night I used it and couldn't get my 4 hours in.

My doctor did say that it can be hard to get used to and I explained the headgear issue. She said to just keep trying because I am compliant

I wish you luck.

I just found out that I have sleep apnea ( yay for another comorbitity) but boooo for not being able to sleep. I keep snatching mine off and I don’t know if I’m really getting my 4hrs in!!! I know I have to try harder but it so frustrating. Maybe I need the full face mask. Right now I have the nasal pillows....ugh

I've been using a CPAP for around 6 years now, and I too had a hard time adjusting to it. The pressure felt way too high, it was harder to breathe with it than without it, and I wondered how in the world something so intrusive could help me sleep better. I don't remember how long it took me to get used to it, but I did, and it didn't take very long. I went back to the medical equipment supplier a couple of times with my equipment, and they helped me make sure it fit right, and that I was using it correctly. And I got used to the pressure within a week or less. Fast-forward to today, and I often have to double-check to make sure that my machine is on because I don't notice the air being blown into my nose anymore!

One thing that I've never gotten used to is a full face mask. I haven't been able to find a mask that doesn't leak loudly. So I use a nasal pillow mask and it works great, even when I am sick and can only breathe through one nostril.

I suggest you give it more time, and that you visit with your CPAP supplier to make sure your machine and headgear are adjusted correctly. They might also be able to adjust your machine to ramp up the pressure more gradually.