Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

trying again tonight ,, then im going to call apria and see if they can do something about the pressure. its ridiculous. i feel like im not getting enough air and I feel claustrophobic :/ I will talk to my surgeon tomorrow since he is doing my endoscopy tomorrow.

Edited by Glamgirl

Hope it better for you last night [mention=332599]KatFight[/mention]! I've used my new machine now 6 nights in a row for just about 8 hours a night. Its not perfect: at least once every night the mask slips and it sounds like a tornado landed in my bedroom, which wakes us and the dog up. :rolleyes: BUT, overall, I am feeling more rested already. sleep apneas still hovering at 8-9 per hour -- hope surgery takes care of that!

@Apple203 You are doing amazing on your machine. That's great. Tornado sound - perfect way to describe it. [emoji946] I'm glad you're feeling more rested too. I am set up to use ramp tonight. The employee at American Home was very nice, thorough, and seemed to have heard similar comments from other patients. Thanks again for bringing up the idea of checking for ramp. It just may be what I need.

(deleted)

Edited by ShaneH1

Use it, it's better than having nightmares, waking up with your heart pounding cause you drempt somebody tried to,kill you. Or you wake up more tired than when you went to bed. Or being short of breath, think you're paralyzed and can't move , have a headache? I had all of,these plus my family said I sounded like a cross between a grizzly bear and a clogged drain when I snores. Took,a while to get used to sleeping with something,on my face, the nicest thing I was told by my semi-loving family? You look just like a jet pilot. Besides if your surgeon finds out you have apnea, have a c pap and aren't using it you run the chance he'll refuse to do your surgery. It makes you an anesthesia risk if it isn't resolved. If you do have your surgery you'll still have on oxygen in recovery room and probably out on the floor. Is it worth it just to make your point? Don't think so. You have to have it on 4+hours 23 days out of every month, if you lose your machine for noncompliance you'll play Billy hob ever getting another, insurance people are funny that way. And your machine pings off a cell phone tower just like your smartphone. When I went to my sleep doctor after my 6 week trial period she had the printout right in front of her. So I try to get,6-8 hours usage in case I ever have a short night. My father had apnea, I have apnea and my 37 year old son is at risk and will probably need evaluation.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

50 minutes ago, kakatlady612 said:

Use it, it's better than having nightmares, waking up with your heart pounding cause you drempt somebody tried to,kill you. Or you wake up more tired than when you went to bed. Or being short of breath, think you're paralyzed and can't move , have a Headache?...

What's weird is I've never had any of these problems. In fact I had no reason to believe I had sleep apnea. I assumed my doctor ordered the study to find any co-morbities to help with insurance approval (which isn't required with my coverage).

Wait, the machine sends them data over the internet? Damn. Foiled again. That sucks.

Edited by ShaneH1

I had the same trouble but once I decided I really wanted this surgery I forced myself to use it and now I’m compliant, don’t try to cheat Because they can’t tell you if you are using it and they can tell if you just leave in the machine on trust me but after using it for a while it becomes easier every night just make sure you get at least four hours of usage every night

Personally I had to turn off the ramp or else I felt like I was suffocating when I hooked up at night. I also made a ritual out of putting my hand on the vent holes after I started the machine to reassure myself that I was getting air. I've heard of folks using the machine while they're watching TV to get used to it. I didn't need that but I can see how it could work. Everybody is different, part of adapting to the CPAP is finding what your particular triggers are and dealing with them. I've been on it for 3 years and I can't sleep without it now (one of my worries is weaning myself off of the psychological dependence when the physical need is gone after WLS).

I've been on cpap for 4 years now and I love love my machine and my mask make sure it's tight properly when I get a new mask I always tighten it standing up then lay down and finish adjusting it and I roll around in bed making sure there are no leaks I do everything I would do while asleep also I adjust my mask while my machine Is on to make sure it is a good seal maybe that can help some of you guys

Sent from my SM-T380 using BariatricPal mobile app

I took test to get mine for surgery, and it's waiting for me to pick it up...I don't want it at all. During my test nightbit pshed so much air in I had severe gas pains!

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

Can you sit with it on during the day to get in some of your hours for compliance and also to get comfortable with it? My doc told me to do that. It's better than having a stroke in my sleep [emoji4]

Xty

Hw-311-12/1/17
Sw-288- 2/8/18
Cw-280-2/28/18
Gw-168

3 minutes ago, xty31 said:

Can you sit with it on during the day to get in some of your hours for compliance and also to get comfortable with it? My doc told me to do that. It's better than having a stroke in my sleep

Xty

Hw-311-12/1/17
Sw-288- 2/8/18
Cw-280-2/28/18
Gw-168

Yes! Its actually recommended :-)

During the test they use multiple high settings then lower it until they find the lowest effective setting. I don't believe your own will give you the fits the testing did. I've had sinusitis this week, PCP told me to take a brief holiday from mine, I was awake for 36 hours because I had c trouble falling asleep without it. Last night I cut back to 4 hours usage with plenty of moisturizing Water in the tank, I rested better.

PS If you use the nasal pillows you're less likely to develop the gas problems.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Been 22 days straight for me using mine and I still have trouble with it... I've tried two masks and I prefer the full mask since I feel I open my mouth sometimes... Its a constant struggle... i don't understanding the whole thing to begin with except when I read everyone's comments which is helpful. :) I understand I have to be compliant for 3 moths and for 22 days out of 30 and at least 4 hours a day.... and I have done JUST that lol

but when can i stop using this damn thing???? Surgeon says that the duodenal switch cures most sleep apnea... but hell im still waiting only surgery date which will be soon hopefully this month! But then Do I still have to wear this thing after surgery? wont it be uncomfortable? how about in the hospital?

Sorry my friends... just feeling hopeless with this thing and the last thing I want to do is screw up anything for my surgery , so I continue to use it every night toss and turn sleep about 2 hours out of the four wearing it then it comes off and I go back to sleep just fine lol :( what! lol

any advice would be great! :)

6 minutes ago, Glamgirl said:

Been 22 days straight for me using mine and I still have trouble with it... I've tried two masks and I prefer the full mask since I feel I open my mouth sometimes... Its a constant struggle... i don't understanding the whole thing to begin with except when I read everyone's comments which is helpful. :) I understand I have to be compliant for 3 moths and for 22 days out of 30 and at least 4 hours a day.... and I have done JUST that lol

but when can i stop using this damn thing???? Surgeon says that the duodenal switch cures most sleep apnea... but hell im still waiting only surgery date which will be soon hopefully this month! But then Do I still have to wear this thing after surgery? wont it be uncomfortable? how about in the hospital?

Sorry my friends... just feeling hopeless with this thing and the last thing I want to do is screw up anything for my surgery , so I continue to use it every night toss and turn sleep about 2 hours out of the four wearing it then it comes off and I go back to sleep just fine lol :( what! lol

any advice would be great! :)

All I can say is that it gets *so* much better once you get used to it. That should happen soon for you. Just keep bearing with it. I hated mine at first, too. Right now I'm wondering how I'm going to fall asleep *without* wearing my CPAP mask to bed. I might try wearing it without a hose attached, just to comfort me. :D