Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How well were you prepared for your diet by your medical team?

I'm seeing some folks recently who are consuming huge volumes of fluids in one setting, and trying solids...just days after surgery.

And my instinct it to feel terrified for them....because this was warned against by members of my surgical team over and over and over....and diet instructions and checklist were reviewed with me by multiple people before I left the hospital.

But it occurred to me that maybe my team just did an incredible job and that other groups don't do a very good job of educating folks after surgery?

So here are my question for you all.......ok, it's a series of questions, actually.... Would really appreciate your input!

1. Did your team discuss your post surgical diet with you in detail before your surgery?

2. Did your nurses go over your immediate diet with you in your hospital room?

3. Were all stages of your diet given to you in written form? Did you understand when to start each stage?

4. Did anyone ever tell you not to eat or drink more than a certain number of ounces per hour?

5. Did anyone ever tell you what could happen to you if you ate foods that you weren't approved for yet?

6. Were you allowed to order a meal in the hospital, and if so, what did it consist of?

7. Did you have a clear understanding that the surgery was permanent?

I know doctors are all different and we all go to different groups that handle information differently....I just wondered how well these basics were covered for you. Did you feel well prepared to monitor your own Fluid and nutrition after surgery?

Is a lack of basic instructions a common thing?

Edited by Creekimp13

16 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

1. Did your team discuss your post surgical diet with you in detail before your surgery?

3. Were all stages of your diet given to you in written form? Did you understand when to start each stage?

4. Did anyone ever tell you not to eat or drink more than a certain number of ounces per hour?

5. Did anyone ever tell you what could happen to you if you ate foods that you weren't approved for yet?

6. Were you allowed to order a meal in the hospital, and if so, what did it consist of?

1. Yes. Before and since the op. I have a monthly appt with the practice dietitian.

2. Yes. And the hospital kitchen staff were very aware of my surgery and my limits.

3. Yes. I have a folder from the dietitian with (a) an over-arching plan presented to me in July 2017 and (b) monthly updates in print form given my exercise and some useful food favourites and combinations.

4. Yes. Not so much ounces but volume and density of food AND the order of eating.

5. Yes. Got all the warnings generally and specifically ... at the pre-op 'lecture' and in written notes from the clinic and dietitian.

6. Yes. Small Soup. Black tea. Jelly (jello). Skim milk to drink. NEXT MORNING: Protein Drink, skim milk, high Protein yoghurt.

7. Yes. Very much so.

I received a book from my doctors office with all the information I could ever need including a detailed list of items I could have for each phase of my diet and how long each phase would last. I also had to visit with the dietitian before surgery where she went over everything that was in the book plus some. As far as ounces per hour I haven’t necessarily followed any specific serving size however I can only sip whatever I am drinking so it’s hard for me to over do it. I have noticed a very wide range of post op diets given. I’ve even seen some people who were given soft foods in the hospital. I am on liquids for 3 weeks so that is surprising to me. I was able to go home the day of surgery so I was only given Water and ice chips. I read the posts that I’m sure you are referring to and I am in shock as well.

My intent in expressing shock and horror is not to pass judgement.

I now genuinely wonder if a certain percent of people were not well informed by their groups?

If so...that's a dangerous blind spot their surgeons should be made aware of.

Edited by Creekimp13

8 minutes ago, lindsayAK said:

I received a book from my doctors office with all the information I could ever need including a detailed list of items I could have for each phase of my diet and how long each phase would last.

Ditto that ... mine was a sleeve folder into which updates could be added.

My experience has been the same as you guys... Everything has been explained to me in detail at appointments and I've been given everything in writing as well.

I really thought this was standard. At least I hoped so.

But maybe not?

I now genuinely wonder if a certain percent of people were not well informed by their groups?

I understand your shock! I believe that some people are told what to expect but are not mentally prepared for it. The post op diet is not easy. Day 6 of Clear Liquids I was pretty damn depressed.

6 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

Remember, I asked a question similar to this about prep for this journey. I agree! It does boggle my mind. And it's like honking at terrible drivers who almost cause a wreck, they turn around, shoot you the finger, honk back, swerve toward you and are generally very d**k-ish. LOL. Ok, so I'll play! :D

1. Did your team discuss your post surgical diet with you in detail before your surgery? Ohhhhhh yeah!!!

2. Did your nurses go over your immediate diet with you in your hospital room? I know they will--I'm at a COE.

3. Were all stages of your diet given to you in written form? Did you understand when to start each stage? Yippy Skippy, in a book/binder.

4. Did anyone ever tell you not to eat or drink more than a certain number of ounces per hour? Chawwwwww!!!!

5. Did anyone ever tell you what could happen to you if you ate foods that you weren't approved for yet? I'd asplode!!!!!! Kablewwwwieeeeeee!

6. Were you allowed to order a meal in the hospital, and if so, what did it consist of? Pizza hehe...oh wait, that wasn't WLS...nm

7. Did you have a clear understanding that the surgery was permanent? Yes'm. I sooooointendly did. :D

Now what did I win, Bob? A one way ticket to banned camp? :unsure:

In detail?

No. Two appointments with dietician. First was about six weeks prior and we talked about small changes I could make immediately to ease into things (slowly wean myself off Diet Pepsi, less fast food, etc). Second one was two weeks before and we discussed the basics—no straws, drinking rules, what my long term diet would look like—and I got the big binder.< /p>

No. And I was at a center of excellence too!

Yes. All in my binder, but I had to seek it out and read and ask questions if i needed to. I’m a researcher so I already knew most of t and was the type to read the binder. I imagine many aren’t, there was a lot in there and quite overwhelming

No. That does not have a role in my surgeons plan. He doesn’t set limits that way.

No.

Order one? No, but they brought me meals of Protein Shakes, Clear Liquids, coffee (yup), yogurt, Jello, juice, fruit icees... didn’t eat ANY of it. All I got down in the hospital was a few ounces of Water. Yes, a few ounces over two days. They sent me home and I immediately got dehydrated. Came back from it on my own, but it was pretty bad.

Yes.

10 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

I know doctors are all different and we all go to different groups that handle information differently....I just wondered how well these basics were covered for you. Did you feel well prepared to monitor your own Fluid and nutrition after surgery?

Is a lack of basic instructions a common thing?

1. yes, on 3 different occasions

2. yes

3. yes, in a binder, with suggested daily menus, and examples of good foods to eat and which are acceptable in texture but lower in Protein so should be minimized

4. pretty much told 8 oz in an hour max, but 4 oz the first week, so i guess so. sip sip sip doesn't make it easy anyway

5. not exactly, but know it's a progression to allow my stomach to heal

6. no. they brought me broth and Jello first day, 2nd day, milk and carnation instant Breakfast (sugar free) and broth

7. oh yes. no going back. which, although i knew, was a weird mind trip when i woke up and surgery was done

Edited by Miss Topaz

I was given the same detailed instructions but mine were very different than what I've read/seen online.

I was only on clear liquids for a few days after surgery. I could have certain liquidy solids (like pudding, yogurt, cream of wheat, cream soups) a week after that, and then puréed a week after that, and right now I'm eating stuff like chicken, sausage, etc. without a problem.

There's not a standard plan. I think it varies depending on your surgeon, and your progress, and your personal set of medical complications/pre-existing conditions.

That's my inclination, anyway. But there's one thing that's exactly the same everywhere I've seen-- there's no going back! This is a lifestyle change. No exceptions. It does seem like some people miss the memo on that, so I see what you mean, Creekimp13.

12 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

I'm seeing some folks recently who are consuming huge volumes of fluids in one setting, and trying solids...just days after surgery.

And my instinct it to feel terrified for them....because this was warned against by members of my surgical team over and over and over....and diet instructions and checklist were reviewed with me by multiple people before I left the hospital.

But it occurred to me that maybe my team just did an incredible job and that other groups don't do a very good job of educating folks after surgery?

So here are my question for you all.......ok, it's a series of questions, actually.... Would really appreciate your input!

I was a self-pay patient (my insurance would not provide any coverage due to my BMI being too low to meet their criteria), so I took on the responsibility of educating myself about the surgery prior to having it. I did not attend any classes, have any counseling, or meet with my surgical team in advance, but still felt reasonably equipped with knowledge and confident on the day of surgery. Several reputable bariatric centers - like Stanford, UCLA, and the mayo Clinic - have information and instructions they provide to their patients available online. I read through it all, as well as published studies in journals and articles, and also found the videos of a bariatric surgeon named Dr. Matthew Wiener who posts on YouTube to be very helpful. I gleaned valuable information from online forums, too, so I was prepared for the "dreaded three week stall" and other common experiences.

No. I received an email with a PDF of the post-surgical diet, and instructions for the 48-hour pre-op preparation diet in advance, but did not discuss it. Had I felt the need to, I could have contacted the surgeon's nutritionist prior to surgery.

No, but I met with the surgeon's nutritionist the day after the surgery.

Yes, and yes.

I most clearly remember Dr. Weiner's advice on his videos about being careful to avoid having too much liquid at once, but in the month post-op I really could not have tolerated copious amounts anyway. On my instructions it said "sip, sip, sip" to emphasize that you shouldn't guzzle back liquids.

It's on all the information bariatric centers and my own surgeon's office provided, but what really captured my attention was reading on this forum about the horrible experiences people had when they ate solid food too soon. That was the best motivation to not deviate from the post-op dietary instructions. I also learned from my own body. It wasn't ready yet to advance, so I stayed on liquids and then soft foods for a little longer than the timeline given.

No. I was brought Gatorade and then broth. I was not at a hospital; I was at a clinic specifically for bariatric surgery, so they did not provide typical meals.

Yes.

---- I know doctors are all different and we all go to different groups that handle information differently....I just wondered how well these basics were covered for you. Did you feel well prepared to monitor your own Fluid and nutrition after surgery? -----

I made sure the basics were covered and felt prepared.

-----Is a lack of basic instructions a common thing? -----

I think basic instructions are commonly provided, but we're all unique learners and have our own level of incentive to remember and follow instructions. I am grateful I didn't have to attend classes because I preferred getting the information on my own and making sure I was familiar with it, but that was a personal preference.

I had one of the best teams there are. I saw my nutritionist every month until my surgery which was 6 months later. I saw the nurse and doctor every month also. I was given all the information I needed and then some. they were always available if I had any questions or concerns. my surgeon even gave me his personal cell phone number because he didn't want me to talk to someone on call if I had an complications or concerns. he wanted me to get ahold of him directly. I was on clear liquids the first day but on day 2 I was allowed to drink shakes. he tried it with his patients and found they did really well with the shakes. I wish everyone had the team I had. I cant say enough good things about them. my surgeon is even at every monthly support meeting. He is very caring and down to earth.

Have been thinking the same thing..... I’m glad my program prepare me so well. They required an info session, where each possible surgery was explained in detail including complication rates, post op diet and long term changes. A nutrition class was required, as were 2 nutritionist meetings where the stages of the diet were discussed, things like chewing, telling if you’re full, Vitamins and food tracking was covered. They required you to track the food and wanted things like carbonation and coffee stopped pre surgery. Post surgery they follow up with a meeting for each diet stage, an in hospital consult and then regularly for years. The hospital had everyone on the same floor so nurses were experts in the diet and they had very specific requirements for “meals”, walking and getting discharged. Everything is tracked in a big binder we need to bring everywhere and the surgeon, assistance and the nutritionist constantly refer to it and use the same systems so they are in sync. I think it’s about the most well coordinated medical program I’ve seen actually. They also do their own reporting and internal statistics and constantly check you against those to make sure you’re within spec for everything from weight to Vitamin levels.

I suspect some programs are very different, so it pays to show arround and get a top tier center.