Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 minutes ago, N0VA said:

This thread is very strange and oddly entertaining.

It seems very strange that a bariatric surgeon would call a patient a fat pig when they deal with obese people every single day. That is very uncalled for and its crazy that he still has patients with that attitude. I hope you reported him. It definitely sounds like a good reason to find a new surgeon.

As for gaining weight pre-op... that is really tough and I'm sorry you weren't able to stick to your plan. Its tough stuff for sure. I know its easy to feel defensive about something so upsetting but CreekImp is really not trying to insult you... it just is what it is. We all had to do it, some people had to be rescheduled and try again. Some aced it and continued on and some people had to cancel. But we were all instructed to do it. It is not even entirely because of post-surgery habits. From what I was told it also affects how fatty your liver is during surgery. If it is too fatty it puts you at much higher risk. These rules aren't put in place to make your life harder.. they're put in place to ensure that you continue to have one.

I hope that you're able to identify and resolve the problem. Good luck!

My Doctor (who is the inventor of the Duodenal Switch), doesn't believe in the liquid diet. Just clears 24 hours before. Due to my medication which was changed recently, my hormonal treatment made me gain weight. My doctor spoke with my Endocrinologist who verified the reason for the weight gain and understood. Weight gain, for people with medical illnesses could come for other reasons besides over eating. A good doctor will look for the reason why. My surgery is still on target for February 28, weight gain and all.

I'm glad you're still on track! Nothing medical has ever been one size fits all (and that's a damn good thing). I only had to do liquids for 24hr also. The pre-op diets are usually based on the surgeon and the patient's needs.

Edited by N0VA
Clarify

I do feel compelled to say, however... (though it has been said before)

It seems a lot of us with medical issues that contribute to weight gain (myself included at one point) tend to act as though food has nothing to do with the weight gain. If that is true, weight loss surgery wouldn't help. It is important to be honest with ourselves and realize that our eating habits are indeed a problem. Maybe not the ONLY problem, but a problem.

21 minutes ago, N0VA said:

I do feel compelled to say, however... (though it has been said before)

It seems a lot of us with medical issues that contribute to weight gain (myself included at one point) tend to act as though food has nothing to do with the weight gain. If that is true, weight loss surgery wouldn't help. It is important to be honest with ourselves and realize that our eating habits are indeed a problem. Maybe not the ONLY problem, but a problem.

Thank you for posting that! People rarely just come out and say, "you know what? I just loved eating!" It's usually medication or disease or something that makes it not their fault. Usually the same people are just so damned desperate for attention they will keep threads going on and on long after they have served their purpose.

I'm glad you're still on track! Nothing medical has ever been one size fits all (and that's a damn good thing). I only had to do liquids for 24hr also. The pre-op diets are usually based on the surgeon and the patient's needs.

I had to do two days of liquids preop and it sucked balls.

No individual in their right mind is going to go through the process of getting approved, have their stomach ripped out and never be able to eat again normally if they weren't serious. That being said, having to pass a psych exam and the psychologist/psychiatrist should be able to see that the individual is not taking the surgery seriously and is an inappropriate candidated. Does your Cardio Surgeon require every single one of his patients to have a 6 month or longer waiting period for surgery, demand that every single one of his patients see a therapist and attend classes before he determines if the candidate is appropriate for the surgery?

Look, different guidelines for different surgeries. We require that a patient stops smoking at least a month before surgery to insure a safe surgery AND healing process and if they haven’t stopped , we won’t do the surgery. We require certain medications either be started or stopped at a certain to prevent bleeding out!! The patient has to understand that it’s for their benefit

On 27/01/2018 at 7:00 AM, PeachesCat said:

He was also nasty about it. Yeah I did wrong. Don't need to be hit over the head with it.

I wasn't there and I have no concept of your psyche or your emotions but I can see that you feel aggrieved.

Put yourself in the surgeon's place for a minute or two.

He's given you the task of showing a relatively continuous weight-loss trend leading to surgery. In other words, he's asking if you're committed to your side of the task prior to his surgical intervention.

If he was to go ahead with surgery when you were not showing 100% commitment to losing weight weigh-in to weigh-in, he might be censured by insurers or his professional body. It might have a severe impact on his professional indemnity insurance costs if he plays fast and loose with patients who don't demonstrate 100% commitment to their own cause.

- - -

Define "nasty" or share the main elements of what he said so that we (readers) can assess his words. (Not that we'll hear his tone or yours!)

- - -

On 27/01/2018 at 7:00 AM, PeachesCat said:

Don't need to be hit over the head with it

Err ... perhaps you do. Convince me why not!

So

1 hour ago, Rainbow_Warrior said:

I wasn't there and I have no concept of your psyche or your emotions but I can see that you feel aggrieved.

Put yourself in the surgeon's place for a minute or two.

He's given you the task of showing a relatively continuous weight-loss trend leading to surgery. In other words, he's asking if you're committed to your side of the task prior to his surgical intervention.

If he was to go ahead with surgery when you were not showing 100% commitment to losing weight weigh-in to weigh-in, he might be censured by insurers or his professional body. It might have a severe impact on his professional indemnity insurance costs if he plays fast and loose with patients who don't demonstrate 100% commitment to their own cause.

- - -

Define "nasty" or share the main elements of what he said so that we (readers) can assess his words. (Not that we'll hear his tone or yours!)

- - -

Err ... perhaps you do. Convince me why not!

Convinice YOU why a 9/11 First Responder who has 9/11 Related illnesses and is on multiple medications such as steroids which helps attribute to weight gain doesn't need to be called a fat pig? Excuse me. Who are you? You think it is OK for a Doctor to call a patient a fat pig let alone disrepect a 9/11 First Responder? Again. WHO ARE YOU? You must be somebody really important why we need to convince you why it is wrong to call another human being a. fat pig.

So
Convinice YOU why a 9/11 First Responder who has 9/11 Related illnesses and is on multiple medications such as steroids which helps attribute to weight gain doesn't need to be called a fat pig? Excuse me. Who are you? You think it is OK for a Doctor to call a patient a fat pig let alone disrepect a 9/11 First Responder? Again. WHO ARE YOU? You must be somebody really important why we need to convince you why it is wrong to call another human being a. fat pig.

Did I miss a post? I don't think the Doctor actually called the poster names. That would be highly unprofessional and warrant disciplinary action that a formal complaint could help to ensure.

Could the patient also be sensitive about a direct conversation regarding requirements and rationales for them? It's hard to hear when we hear, especially those of us that are overweight and need to hear it. I'm a medical person and have had to deliver these talks as well as hear them. It's tough all around.

I truly hope, OP, you can be successful. It's a very helpful tool. But you do have to do the work. I have lost slower because I have slipped up and hone off program myself. But you can do this. Totally worth the sacrifices.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

21 minutes ago, Jelly Belly said:

You think it is OK for a Doctor to call a patient a fat pig

No ... it would be an unconscionable thing to say.

When I responded I responded to the O.P.'s very first post.

I stated I wasn't there in the meeting with the surgeon (and that I knew nothing of PeachesCat's psyche or history) and needed to know what constituted a nasty remark/comment IHHO. [n.b. some people react very strongly to doctors and practitioners telling them hard rules or procedures.]

- - -

If, in fact, PeachesCat's surgeon used that term, he deserves censure.

I do hope she referred it to the clinic business manager (or the practice manager) verbally and in writing.

If those are the words the surgeon actually used, it does not show empathy considering that the overwhelming majority of bariatric surgeons are well aware of the sensitivities and prejudices that obese people experience.

- - -

Here, in Australia, if one feels one's doctor/surgeon/practitioner is rude or brusque or demeaning, there is a form of redress and a way to complain via the Health Complaints Commission and the surgeon's professional association.

I presume similar procedures are in place in the USA. No?

PeachesCat should be drafting her complaint ASAP.

On 31/01/2018 at 11:33 AM, KimTriesRNY said:

I actually hope they close this thread.

It would seem the best thing for all.

Had the O.P. clearly stated what she alleged the doctor's nasty comment was [IN HER INITIAL POST], I'm sure the advice given by the many people in the first couple of pages of this thread would have been different.

Edited by Rainbow_Warrior

I've been watching this thread with interest... based on the below post, it definitely looks like @Creekimp13 was right and Jelly Belly is a sock for Peaches. The speech pattern and unique capitalization on "9/11 First Responder" seems pretty Peaches-esque. Or maybe it's all my Forensic Files bingeing causing my imagination to run away?

1 hour ago, Jelly Belly said:

So

Also I found it weird that Peaches didn't mention being called a fat pig in the OP. It was only several posts into the argument with Creekimp and it was sort of an afterthought. You'd think that would be at least in the first post if not the TITLE!

2:30am... we're focused on the hard-hitting stuff tonight!

2 hours ago, trying4me said:

Did I miss a post? I don't think the Doctor actually called the poster names. That would be highly unprofessional and warrant disciplinary action that a formal complaint could help to ensure.

Could the patient also be sensitive about a direct conversation regarding requirements and rationales for them? It's hard to hear when we hear, especially those of us that are overweight and need to hear it. I'm a medical person and have had to deliver these talks as well as hear them. It's tough all around.

I truly hope, OP, you can be successful. It's a very helpful tool. But you do have to do the work. I have lost slower because I have slipped up and hone off program myself. But you can do this. Totally worth the sacrifices.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes. According to the woman the doctor called her a name. Bottom line. A person came on a forum asking for help and is attacked by strangers. The funny part is, we continue to discuss this and she has obviously left the forum and hasn't posted again. However, since since she is famous, you can track her down on Facebook and she is openly discussing it on her Facebook Page.

A person came here asking for help and was attacked. She has now left this forum. The people who drove her off are no worse than the people who have attacked me since grade school calling me names.

1 hour ago, Little Green said:

I've been watching this thread with interest... based on the below post, it definitely looks like @Creekimp13 was right and Jelly Belly is a sock for Peaches. The speech pattern and unique capitalization on "9/11 First Responder" seems pretty Peaches-esque. Or maybe it's all my Forensic Files bingeing causing my imagination to run away?

Also I found it weird that Peaches didn't mention being called a fat pig in the OP. It was only several posts into the argument with Creekimp and it was sort of an afterthought. You'd think that would be at least in the first post if not the TITLE!

2:30am... we're focused on the hard-hitting stuff tonight!

Simple. Why don't you get off of a Forum where people are roll players and go to FB and find here there. She documents absolutely every thing that is happening to her.

Disecting an individual who is no longer here is hard hitting? Yes. This is the appropriate thing to do on a weight loss forum.

This is getting boring. I have to go on a liquid diet shortly. Talk amongst yourselves disecting this person. I came to this forum to get help. Obviously it isn't the place. It's more a bully board. There are other places. Have a good time here. Bariatric Pal also lost a customer. There are other sites. I will not associate with a site nor a store that propogates hate. Have a good life everybody.