Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fruit smoothies

Ok, so I know all post op instructions are different. My doc says two weeks full liquid before surgery and two weeks after. I’m one week post op so I’ve had nothing but Protein Shakes and broth (I don’t do jello) for three weeks. I’m very sick of Protein shakes to the point where it’s very hard to get enough protein. I found a bariatric surgeon who makes videos for patients on line and see that he has recipes for making post-op protein shakes from scratch. PB2, banana, Greek yogurt, flavorless Protein Powder. I tried it yesterday and it was so much better and didn’t hurt my stomach. The only ingredient that my doc doesn’t allow is banana. So I guess I cheated. My question is if you all were allowed fruit in your shakes 1 week post op (well blended of course). I do not need to be told to follow my doctors orders. I know I should. But if this one change is acceptable to other doctors and is just enough to get me through the next week, I may do it. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

For me it was the dumping like syndrome from the fruit. I know that each doctor is different and at times my doc and nutritionist don’t always agree. Sometimes you have to tailor it to your needs. My plan allowed for fruit at 8 weeks but they still don’t allow fruit smoothies (something I thought was a great choice until I looked at the carbs). I usually add like half a banana in my shakes sometimes.

Just now, SouthernGirl76 said:

(something I thought was a great choice until I looked at the carbs)

That right there. It isn't so much that fruit is bad for you as it is packed with carbs. That being said they don't want you on a lot of foods/fruits this early on because you are still healing. I know it's frustrating seeing so many doctors doing things one way or the other. It doesn't make it easy for the patients.

If you're going to cheat, which I don't recommend of course, I wouldn't be adding fruits in this early. This stage sucks but trust me it won't be worth it if it causes a set back. As one that had complications I seriously wouldn't risk it for a few more days of struggle. Anything that delays your healing only adds to the misery. I loathed my Protein Shakes ath that point as well so I feel your pain.

I think there are two general objections to fruit....that the fructose could cause dumping syndrome, and peels and seeds are too fibrous for your healing tummy and could cause problems (even when blended). Also...the calories could fill you up when you need Protein to protect your muscles and organs.

Honestly...I think if you talked to your doc/nutritionist about this particular shake working better for you....you might get their blessing. It's a good idea to be honest about what you're doing and at least listen to their input.

I would not do any seeded fruit, particularly berries with tiny gritty seeds like strawberries...because thinking about the pouch healing...I think those seeds could get stuck in the suture line and cause problems.

Most of the rules the groups put together have good reasons behind them....but I know sometimes individuals need a little individual adjustment due to tolerance issues. I think you'll find most docs/nutritionists will be empathetic and try to work with you. It's what they're there for...communicate with them.

Keep in mind that fruit=sugar. Sugar isn't the devil...but it's something we have to be careful of, particularly early in the process. My diet allowed cream of wheat and oatmeal very early, and yogurt clearly has lactose...so sugars aren't exactly banned....but fructose (fruit sugar) is metabolized very fast....so the danger of dumping syndrome on fruit is real.

That right there. It isn't so much that fruit is bad for you as it is packed with carbs. That being said they don't want you on a lot of foods/fruits this early on because you are still healing. I know it's frustrating seeing so many doctors doing things one way or the other. It doesn't make it easy for the patients.

If you're going to cheat, which I don't recommend of course, I wouldn't be adding fruits in this early. This stage sucks but trust me it won't be worth it if it causes a set back. As one that had complications I seriously wouldn't risk it for a few more days of struggle. Anything that delays your healing only adds to the misery. I loathed my Protein Shakes ath that point as well so I feel your pain.

Are carbs bad for healing? I know they aren’t good for weight loss, but how does it cause a leak or other complications?

3 minutes ago, Lotte22 said:

Are carbs bad for healing? I know they aren’t good for weight loss, but how does it cause a leak or other complications?

Sorry for the confusion. No, carbs don't have anything to do with the healing process. There's just the concern that even fruit blended down could still work its way into somewhere it shouldn't be. With bananas being a stringy fruit that's one I would avoid (on top of its high carb content).

When I hit the pureed stage I started mixing in yogurts to my shakes because I needed something to add some flavor to them. Granted at that stage I hated pretty much everything as my taste buds had rebelled...lol

6 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

I think there are two general objections to fruit....that the fructose could cause dumping syndrome, and peels and seeds are too fibrous for your healing tummy and could cause problems (even when blended). Also...the calories could fill you up when you need Protein to protect your muscles and organs.

Honestly...I think if you talked to your doc/nutritionist about this particular shake working better for you....you might get their blessing. It's a good idea to be honest about what you're doing and at least listen to their input.

I would not do any seeded fruit, particularly berries with tiny gritty seeds like strawberries...because thinking about the pouch healing...I think those seeds could get stuck in the suture line and cause problems.

Most of the rules the groups put together have good reasons behind them....but I know sometimes individuals need a little individual adjustment due to tolerance issues. I think you'll find most docs/nutritionists will be empathetic and try to work with you. It's what they're there for...communicate with them.

Keep in mind that fruit=sugar. Sugar isn't the devil...but it's something we have to be careful of, particularly early in the process. My diet allowed cream of wheat and oatmeal very early, and yogurt clearly has lactose...so sugars aren't exactly banned....but fructose (fruit sugar) is metabolized very fast....so the danger of dumping syndrome on fruit is real.

Thanks for the input. My NUT is NOT open to any changes and gets annoyed at even asking questions, unfortunately. Thanks for the input on berries. I hadn’t thought about the tiny seeds before. Luckily my body tolerated the banana well. I’ve only done it once.

Carbs are not "bad for healing" per say. But if you are filling up on carbs and neglecting your Protein, this could be a big problem. Our protein goals protect us from muscle wasting (including our heart, which is a muscle). The other issue with carbs, particularly high glycemic carbs (carbs that hit the blood stream as sugar fast)...is that they call for more insulin....which can end up leaving a surplus of insulin in our blood...which then, makes us hungry again....it's a vicious cycle.

Low glycemic carbs like oatmeal have a slower sugar uptake and result in more managable insulin levels...and result in less hunger.

29 minutes ago, SouthernGirl76 said:

For me it was the dumping like syndrome from the fruit. I know that each doctor is different and at times my doc and nutritionist don’t always agree. Sometimes you have to tailor it to your needs. My plan allowed for fruit at 8 weeks but they still don’t allow fruit smoothies (something I thought was a great choice until I looked at the carbs). I usually add like half a banana in my shakes sometimes.

That’s interesting that you weren’t allowed fruit until 8 weeks. All doctors are so different!!! Mine said I could start swimming at 2 weeks (for exercise) and someone else I know was told she couldn’t exercise for three months! I wish they’d just do some research and decide what’s best, because now I’m worried that swimming at 2 weeks is too soon.

9 minutes ago, Lotte22 said:

That’s interesting that you weren’t allowed fruit until 8 weeks. All doctors are so different!!! Mine said I could start swimming at 2 weeks (for exercise) and someone else I know was told she couldn’t exercise for three months! I wish they’d just do some research and decide what’s best, because now I’m worried that swimming at 2 weeks is too soon.

I think some are way more cautious than others. I was allowed to do the elliptical and stair climber before my friend was because she had a major hernia repair and they were worried about her. My hernia was considered simple ( her hernia part lasted 2.5 hours)

They have done research...lol. But different clinics have different objectives. (some health, some profit, some trying to get their clients as thin as possible as fast as possible to generate more business, some actually even want to practice good medicine and shoot for well researched outcomes)

Different doctors pay attention to current research...differently...and bariatrics is an emerging science. Some doctors don't keep up with continuing education like they should, and for now there is no standard that forces the issue. There are a lot of practices that base their instructions on outdated and controversial ideas. We're sort of at the mercy of the slush pool of ideas currently. This will improve....eventually. Probably too late for us. LOL.

I wasn’t allowed fruit for 3 months and then only smooth fruits and nothing with seeds in until 6 months. The only fruits I have now, at my stage are blackberries, strawberries and blueberries. I stay away from most others as they are too high in sugar and carbs for me.

Ok, so I know all post op instructions are different. My doc says two weeks full liquid before surgery and two weeks after. I’m one week post op so I’ve had nothing but Protein Shakes and broth (I don’t do jello) for three weeks. I’m very sick of Protein shakes to the point where it’s very hard to get enough Protein. I found a bariatric surgeon who makes videos for patients on line and see that he has recipes for making post-op Protein Shakes from scratch. PB2, banana, Greek yogurt, flavorless Protein Powder. I tried it yesterday and it was so much better and didn’t hurt my stomach. The only ingredient that my doc doesn’t allow is banana. So I guess I cheated. My question is if you all were allowed fruit in your shakes 1 week post op (well blended of course). I do not need to be told to follow my doctors orders. I know I should. But if this one change is acceptable to other doctors and is just enough to get me through the next week, I may do it. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Hi there, have you tried Premier Protein Shakes yet?? They are yummy especially the strawberry and Cream one!
For my vanilla Protein Shakes, I add a package of peach mango crystal light and it’s taste great!
Hope you find what works best for you!!!

I was not allowed actual fruits per my plan until 3 months. I was allowed baby food, stage one fruits during pureed but only in moderation. I would had the some baby food peaches to cottage cheese and puree that for example.

I still rarely eat fruit now because I would rather get my carbs from veggies personally and fruit has so much sugar. I will occasionally eat an apple since they are actually good for your metabolism.

As for shakes I had to try many different ones and change them frequently but I found the GNC Lean25 worked best for me and they have so many flavors.