Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone here 360+ pre-op?

I’m a large lady. I have been my entire life. Part of what makes me nervous for surgery in two weeks is my size. Did anyone find there were more complications with those with higher BMI?

What was your experience pre and post-op? Was anyone a smoker at this size and quit for surgery? I have not been a smoker for long but it worries me that it may complicate things even with stopping before surgery. What was your weight loss like at a higher BMI? What was your pre-op diet and how long? Thanks !

Hi, I was 196 kg /436 lbs at the start of my journey. 4 months post op and I've lost 45 kg/100 lbs.

Apart from being over weight I am very healthy with no other health conditions.

I had no trouble with the surgery, I felt really good within 24 hours and could have gone back to work 3 or 4 days post op.

I am confident that I've made the right decision - I love my sleeve.

Hello! My highest weight was 380. I lost 25 pounds pre-surgery, and, as of today (four months post-op), I'm down a total of 71 pounds. I didn't find my size an issue at all for the surgery nor for the recovery time after it. I haven't yet had a big increase in energy, I'm sorry to say, but otherwise things are fine. I had almost no pain post-surgically--just the first few minutes when I woke up. After that, no pain.

The first few weeks after surgery basically suck, in my opinion. It's all about trying to get enough Protein and Water in and not really enjoying what you are ingesting. I wasn't happy at all until I could eat real food again, and even then I wasn't hungry most of the time. It's come back a bit, but I still eat very small portions (and still think a lot about protein, protein, protein). Some basic favorites really help--for me, cottage cheese and eggs (not together!).

Probably the most important thing doctors don't really mention much is the stalls. I've stalled several times, most recently for more than a month, and that can be very discouraging. On the other hand, when the last stall broke, it did so with a vengeance--according to the scale, I've lost about ten pounds in the past week. I don't think that's actually what happened--this is just when it decided to register on the scale. It was probably happening all along . . .

Just remember that this is a long-haul process. I'm thrilled beyond belief to have lost this much, but I sure would like to lose at least a hundred more. I have no idea how it's all going to work out . . . just going along for the ride now.

Take a deep breath. This is exciting despite the scary bits. And if you read a lot of posts, you'll find a lot of people who say it's the best decision they ever made. Yep, I'd go along with that. I would NEVER have lost this weight otherwise.

you should be fine. Some surgeons refuse to operate on people with super high BMIs, but your BMI would still be acceptable. He/she has probably done a lot of surgeries on people in your (our) range. They would have let you know long ago if you were too heavy to have a safe surgery.

I started out at 373 but lost 57 lbs before surgery. I was 316 the morning of surgery. I had no problems at all.

My pre-op diet lasted two weeks. I had 5-6 Protein Shakes a day plus all the low- and no-cal sugar free, non-carbonated beverages I wanted (e.g., Crystal Light). I could also have broth, Tomato juice or V8 (although I think I was limited on that because of the sodium), sugar free Jello, and sugar free popsicles.

I thought I'd lose weight fast because I started at over 300 lbs, but I did not. I lost 16 lbs the first month, then 10-12 lbs a month for the six or so months after that. then it dropped down to about eight pounds a month, then after the first year maybe five pounds a month. Your rate of loss is going to depend on a lot of things - age, gender, metabolism rate, genetics. They say people who lose a lot of weight before surgery don't lose as much at first, either. That makes sense because the first month of any weight loss is mostly Water, and if you lost a lot of weight before surgery, then that initial water weight is long gone...

anyway, I'm female and was post-menopausal when I had surgery, and I'd lost a lot of weight beforehand, so my rate of loss was steady but slow. But I was close to 100% compliant with my plan and lost every last molecule of my excess weight. It took about 18 months to lose it all.

I'm male ... I was 380+ pounds at the first meeting with my surgeon (Mid July 2017).

My only complication was an extra meeting with the anaesthetist about two weeks out so that he was well aware of my size and any idiosyncrasies.

10 hours ago, LB92 said:

I’m a large lady. I have been my entire life. Part of what makes me nervous for surgery in two weeks is my size. Did anyone find there were more complications with those with higher BMI?

this surgery is kinda sorta made for very large people. they have seen it before. it's bariatric surgery. you'll be fine.

I was 405, no complications at all. Pre surgery was a pain, Indid not loose weight (only 20 lbs). Post surgery was great, I dropped average of 15 lbs the first month and half.

I was 400 at my highest, 350 at my first appointment and then 295 on my day of surgery, so I'm probably not the best example, but I figure if the doctor's aren't too concerned and are going through with the surgery, then they must believe you won't be at higher risk of complications.

I'm around 350lbs with a very high BMI and due surgery on 12th. My surgeon isn't worried about complications as long as I stick to the preop diet to reduce my liver size. I don't smoke but he has told me he won't do surgery on someone who does. If you can stop it would be amazing but, unless your surgeon says otherwise, you will be fine. At the end of the day they are doing our surgeries and changing our lives. You need to trust them. You'll be fine. Try not to stress and look forward to it. I'm half petrified but so excited I can't explain. I'm going to have a good life with this and stop my family and friends worrying about putting me in an early grave. Sorry for being a bit morbid but it's true lol. Honestly my one dream to come from this is to go to the beach and wear a bikini. That's it. Something I never would have dreamed up until now! Look to the positives x

Sent from my Moto G (5) using BariatricPal mobile app

Hello! My highest weight was 380. I lost 25 pounds pre-surgery, and, as of today (four months post-op), I'm down a total of 71 pounds. I didn't find my size an issue at all for the surgery nor for the recovery time after it. I haven't yet had a big increase in energy, I'm sorry to say, but otherwise things are fine. I had almost no pain post-surgically--just the first few minutes when I woke up. After that, no pain.
The first few weeks after surgery basically suck, in my opinion. It's all about trying to get enough Protein and Water in and not really enjoying what you are ingesting. I wasn't happy at all until I could eat real food again, and even then I wasn't hungry most of the time. It's come back a bit, but I still eat very small portions (and still think a lot about protein, protein, protein). Some basic favorites really help--for me, cottage cheese and eggs (not together!).
Probably the most important thing doctors don't really mention much is the stalls. I've stalled several times, most recently for more than a month, and that can be very discouraging. On the other hand, when the last stall broke, it did so with a vengeance--according to the scale, I've lost about ten pounds in the past week. I don't think that's actually what happened--this is just when it decided to register on the scale. It was probably happening all along . . .
Just remember that this is a long-haul process. I'm thrilled beyond belief to have lost this much, but I sure would like to lose at least a hundred more. I have no idea how it's all going to work out . . . just going along for the ride now.
Take a deep breath. This is exciting despite the scary bits. And if you read a lot of posts, you'll find a lot of people who say it's the best decision they ever made. Yep, I'd go along with that. I would NEVER have lost this weight otherwise.

That’s incredible! Good job! Thank you. I’m stoked/nervous/excited all at once .

I was 373 lbs at drs. visit and 352 lbs on day of surgery. I didn't have any complications other than really bad nausea immediately after surgery that triggered vomiting (they kept me in recovery an extra 3 hours because of it and kept me an extra 1/2 day at hosp for observation), but that was all over in a day Six months out today and I've lost 92 since surgery (113 since 1st dr. visit).

My highest weight and what I weighed at my initial visit with my surgeon was 342. He wanted me to lose 20-30 pounds before surgery. I only lost 8 before my pre op appointment but he didn't seem bothered. My pre-op diet was Clear Liquids for 10 days and was frankly the hardest thing I've done in my life! I weighed 322 day of surgery and I'm at 309 this morning 11 days post op :)

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm not quite that but am in the 300s. Looking to reward of under big 3 and then 2hundreds and then onederland will,be mine. I dream of 170 or size16, know a lot of people start their WLS there but my current BMI is over 45 so I think I'd be greatful there for a loss. And if I could go,smaller who knows?,,,,, At any rate Happy New Year everybody

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

You’ll do fine. I was 315, 295 on surgery day. Sleeved 2:23/17. I’m down to 207. Get up right away after surgery and start walking and peeing. I did get dehydrated at about day 10 post. Dizzy cramps. I got an IV which made symptoms so much better. Be Careful to listen to your body. So close to Onederland!! Size 16. Energy up, rode a bike for first time in 25 years! Got in and out of a kayak! Keep to your plan and track your macros. I use Baritastic. 100 G Protein, 30 g carbs and 40 g fat per day. I’ve been pretty consistent but not perfect. I’m just now STarting training for a 5 k on 4/1/18. Mind you I avoided even climbing stairs let alone run !! Never would have imagined it a year ago only dreamed it. Start visualizing the life you want because you are making it a reality now. Best of luck! Literally people don’t recognize me.

I'm 424 now (BMI roughly 74 I think). I started out in a program that wouldn't do surgery on anyone over a BMI of 60, but I switched to a different program that doesn't have an upper limit. I asked about that at my introductory seminar and was told they've done the surgery on people with BMIs in the 80s and 90s. So it all depends on the surgeon, but many are well acquainted with working on the larger among us.