Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve & Fatty Liver

Hello everyone. Just wondering if anyone has had HAPPEN TO THEM THAT HAPPENED TO ME? I went in to have my gastric by pass surgery on 12/13/17 but my surgeon ended up doing a gastric sleeve because even after the 2 week clear liquid diet my liver was what you call a fatty liver and showed early signs of cirrhosis. I don’t drink at all this was caused evidentially from prolonged high blood sugars and fatty liver. My surgeon says with the healthy eating and weight control this should go away. Any of you guys in the same boat.? I’m feeling good after my surgery which has only been a few days. Hope everyone out there is too. I look forward to hearing from you. I’m down here in FL

Sorry that happened, I haven't had that experience but you should definitely follow up with your primary care doctor to make sure they keep an eye on your liver. Hopefully your new lifestyle will help reverse it.

I had planned the sleeve and also had a fatty liver. He did a biopsy at surgery and said I didn't have cirrhosis. My doctor said no problem the weight loss and dietary changes will cure the fatty liver problem. I also don't drink. He said it was totally diet caused.

2 hours ago, Judy Gaer said:

I had planned the sleeve and also had a fatty liver. He did a biopsy at surgery and said I didn't have cirrhosis. My doctor said no problem the weight loss and dietary changes will cure the fatty liver problem. I also don't drink. He said it was totally diet caused.

This is almost my exact same scenario.

My surgeon identified elevated liver enzymes in my PreOp blood work. I don't drink, but fatty liver disease was diagnosed based on poor diet/weight. Dr. said it will go away with improved diet and weight loss post sleeve. My surgeon also did a biopsy during the sleeve procedurep, which came back negative for cirrhosis.

Fatty liver disease is extremely common in the obese (I think something like 90% of the obese have it)

Id say its relatively rare they do liver biopsies (purely from my experience id say maybe 1 out of 40 patients that ive seen sleeves gets them done).

Ive never seen a surgeon do a sleeve instead of a bypass because of a fatty liver though. More than a couple times ive seen them have to do a sleeve instead of a bypass because of bad scarring and adhesions but thats about it.

I dont know your stats but if youre on the very big side that could explain why, or it could just have to do with your actual liver, or the surgeons tolerance/comfort

I can tell you from experience that elevated liver enzymes (a marker of liver disease) can be corrected. My primary doc ran liver blood tests a few months ago because of a med I'm taking, and then happened to run them again before surgery. The tests came back high the first time, and normal the second. I didn't change anything except how I was eating and my weight; between the two lab tests, I lost almost 30 pounds on my own. I think the combination of the two are what caused the normalization of my liver enzymes.

I too, wanted gastric bypass, dr ended up doing sleeve instead. I have metabolic syndrome, said it was not safe due to oversized liver. I follow up in one week.