Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No loss since surgery 6 weeks ago!!

Hi there!

I had my gastric sleeve procedure on 10/30. I lost 10 lbs before the procedure and 10 lbs following it (first 2-3 days). It's been over 5 weeks and I haven't lost a single pound. I don't exercise, get about 500-600 calories a day. Not enough Water though. But I've attempted fixing all that and still nothing. I'm hypothyroid and insulin resistant. Have you any words of advice for me? I'm going crazy here. The doctor's office wants me to wait until next week to "look over the diet". That is not going to help. I've been following the diet. Just hasn't worked.

Stalls are super normal and yes fustrating. If you like list what your eating I'm sure someone will be able to help :)

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

That's a good thing that u haven't dropped any weight right away. You want to lose weight slowly for your skin

I was told it's best to lose as fast as you can as it's easier under 12m.

It's best to lose. Fast/slow, we don't always have a choice. Pros and cons of each... skin rebounds to the extent it will rebound whether it's as you lose or it catches up later. I'm also not sure about the "magic window" of a year or 18 months. A lot of research indicates perhaps a new set point that we will reach and after that it's harder, whenever that happens.

I know we are trying to encourage and help the OP reconcile with their journey/rate of loss... but let's not Place value judgements on the rate of loss.

To the OP, not sure any of us have enough information to help you. We give standard advise--protein first, get your Water in, meet your Protein goals... but clearly your situation is more complex with your thyroid and insulin. Sometimes people with insulin resistance must be extra careful with simple/white carbs and fruit. But beyond that, you may need your doctor or nutritionist to weigh in! Or as dreamingsmall says above, share with us what you are eating and we will attempt a guess.

Here's what my advice would be, increase your exercise, get you 10k steps a day in, or begin working up to it. Get in your 64 Oz Water and get in all of your Protein.

I am extremely diabetic. I wake up with 140-160 and I'm still trying to fix it with meds. I eat almost zero carbs and I've been very successful in this journey.

I eat bacon and cheese for Breakfast - 6 slices pre-cooked hormel black label bacon, zapped for 28 -30 seconds, once slice Deli Deluxe american cheese (Yeah, it's fake food but I dig it. lol!) and then I have my one major indulgence in the day (and in the AM) of putting that on a blueberry or raisin cinnamon english muffin.

For lunch and dinner I have grilled chicken. For Lunch I go to a local place and get their delicious grilled chicken and a few slices of grilled Zucchini.

For snack I have 1/4 cup dried fruit and nuts (Omega -3 costco blend)

For dinner I have KFC GRILLED Chicken. Leg and Thigh. The meat on those fill me up. Then I have my Vitamins for the day, the chewable kind. I eat those as my dessert.

I can't eat a bunch of differnt things, I get dumping syndrome, or something like it, off of most foods it seems. So I stick with these really clean foods and I'm melting away.

It's best to lose. Fast/slow, we don't always have a choice. Pros and cons of each... skin rebounds to the extent it will rebound whether it's as you lose or it catches up later. I'm also not sure about the "magic window" of a year or 18 months. A lot of research indicates perhaps a new set point that we will reach and after that it's harder, whenever that happens.

I know we are trying to encourage and help the OP reconcile with their journey/rate of loss... but let's not Place value judgements on the rate of loss.

To the OP, not sure any of us have enough information to help you. We give standard advise--protein first, get your Water in, meet your Protein goals... but clearly your situation is more complex with your thyroid and insulin. Sometimes people with insulin resistance must be extra careful with simple/white carbs and fruit. But beyond that, you may need your doctor or nutritionist to weigh in! Or as dreamingsmall says above, share with us what you are eating and we will attempt a guess.

Your right. It for sure is best for just lose at any rate you can that's good advice. I've seen people who are not at goal actually try to slow the loss down by having double cream and other things to make them lose slower. That seems odd to me.

I honestly just dont believe it. Something somewhere the facts have to be wrong. There is absolutely no fricken way possible that a 240 pound individual has not lost a single pound eating 500-600 calories a day in 6 weeks. Like you could have the worst hypothryoid in town and I still wouldnt believe it.

Either youre having massive inconsistencies with the way you weigh yourself, youre wildly miscalculating calories, or something else is at play. I think you need to look at everything thats happening step by step and see whats going wrong.

Are you weighing yourself at the same time under the same conditions in roughly the same clothes everyday ? Are you underestimating your calories (this is very common)? Are you severely constipated ?

Yes everybody goes through stalls, but not losing any weight for 6 weeks at 500/600 calories a day at the START of your journey isnt a stall. Its a huge red flag

I agree. Definitely get your Protein and Water in. It's not physically possible for you to have not lost any weight in that amount of time if you're following the plan. Is it possible you aren't being honest with yourself? Are you documenting every single thing that goes in your mouth?

I honestly just dont believe it. Something somewhere the facts have to be wrong. There is absolutely no fricken way possible that a 240 pound individual has not lost a single pound eating 500-600 calories a day in 6 weeks. Like you could have the worst hypothryoid in town and I still wouldnt believe it.
Either youre having massive inconsistencies with the way you weigh yourself, youre wildly miscalculating calories, or something else is at play. I think you need to look at everything thats happening step by step and see whats going wrong.
Are you weighing yourself at the same time under the same conditions in roughly the same clothes everyday ? Are you underestimating your calories (this is very common)? Are you severely constipated ?
Yes everybody goes through stalls, but not losing any weight for 6 weeks at 500/600 calories a day at the START of your journey isnt a stall. Its a huge red flag

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using BariatricPal mobile app

Here's what my advice would be, increase your exercise, get you 10k steps a day in, or begin working up to it. Get in your 64 Oz Water and get in all of your Protein.

I am extremely diabetic. I wake up with 140-160 and I'm still trying to fix it with meds. I eat almost zero carbs and I've been very successful in this journey.

I eat bacon and cheese for breakfast - 6 slices pre-cooked hormel black label bacon, zapped for 28 -30 seconds, once slice Deli Deluxe american cheese (Yeah, it's fake food but I dig it. lol!) and then I have my one major indulgence in the day (and in the AM) of putting that on a blueberry or raisin cinnamon english muffin.
For lunch and dinner I have grilled chicken. For Lunch I go to a local place and get their delicious grilled chicken and a few slices of grilled Zucchini.
For snack I have 1/4 cup dried fruit and nuts (Omega -3 costco blend)
For dinner I have KFC GRILLED Chicken. Leg and Thigh. The meat on those fill me up. Then I have my Vitamins for the day, the chewable kind. I eat those as my dessert.
I can't eat a bunch of differnt things, I get dumping syndrome, or something like it, off of most foods it seems. So I stick with these really clean foods and I'm melting away.

14 hours ago, Mhy12784 said:

I understand it isn't the norm. But something is not right here and I don't know what. I know for a fact that I don't meet my Protein and Water goals or exercise. Until I can fix all that, I really cannot honestly say I've tried everything.

8 minutes ago, ColdWater99 said:

I understand it isn't the norm. But something is not right here and I don't know what. I know for a fact that I don't meet my Protein and Water goals or exercise. Until I can fix all that, I really cannot honestly say I've tried everything.

While Protein and Water are vital to good health (and exercise is important), none of these things would stop you from losing weight with a caloric intake of 500-600 calories a day. Hell if anything I would imagine you would lose even more weight since you should be dehydrated and experiencing muscle wasting and catabolism.

I dont think even your doctor can truly help you here, I think the solution is going to have to come from investigating and self education. With the most likely problems occurring with intake or weighing. Its entirely possible that theres something legitimately wrong going on the side unrelated to the Sleeve but I think thats improbable .

Are you not physically able to get Protein and Water in? I know how important that is to our success. If you're truly following the program and not eating cheater/slider foods/taking in a ridiculous amount of unhealthy food, I'd recommend doing Protein Shakes and liquids only again for a few days. If there is still no loss then call your surgeon and nutritionist as there is a marginal chance something else could be going on.

I understand it isn't the norm. But something is not right here and I don't know what. I know for a fact that I don't meet my protein and water goals or exercise. Until I can fix all that, I really cannot honestly say I've tried everything.

41 minutes ago, JessicasWLSJourney said:

Are you not physically able to get Protein and Water in? I know how important that is to our success. If you're truly following the program and not eating cheater/slider foods/taking in a ridiculous amount of unhealthy food, I'd recommend doing Protein Shakes and liquids only again for a few days. If there is still no loss then call your surgeon and nutritionist as there is a marginal chance something else could be going on.

I will do that. It is hard for me to get the Water in though. I agree with you. Something seems to be the issue and I can't seem to figure out what.