Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Scares...how many do YOU have and how much of them vanish

Sleeved on 11/14 and I have 7 (lucky) scars. I expected only 3ish. I didn’t think about it in the hospital because of my state but now that I feel a lot better I’m starting to think about it. I did have a few residents join in on the operation and wonder if “ they all had a turn” [emoji12]

I also have been reading some of the success stories and noticed that on some of the after pics, I don’t see ANY scars whatsoever.

Soooo...how many holes do you have? Is there something that I can use to minimize the scars? They currently have surgical glue on each. When will that come off too?

I have five scars. I'm three years post surgery & you wouldn't see any of them unless you were an inch away from my stomach. And even then you'd really only notice one. You wouldn't notice the other four unless you knew where they were. As you heal, yours should fade too. Good luck!

They used the glue on me too. I had Gastric bypass though. I have about six scars. The smaller ones got lighter and aren't noticeable at all, it's just the bigger one that got a little dark. The lighter ones faded after a few months.

I haven't really given my scars much thought because they don't bother me. I just think the scars are another story added to my body. As far as what I've heard that helps with scars are Vitamin E.

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-150
GW-130
Size- 4 or 6, Small in sweats. Medium in shirts. depends on how it's cut or made.
Bra Size- 38D

Surgery Date- April 26th, 2017
RNY
"Only those who try will become" FFX

I have 5. I was sleeved on 11/14. I don’t think about them much but I know they’ll fade. I had my gallbladder out at the end of September and can’t see my scars from that anymore unless I really look for them.

7 is a little overboard, did you have previous abdominal (area) surgery or a history of any major abdominal problems/trauma ?

This would be a legit reason for excessive trocars.

As for me I had 4 trocars. A 15 (the big one) in the belly button, and three 5mm trocars for 4 total

Of course I was sleeved the day before you and I still have steristrips on, so I havent had a chance to take a look at how the damage was . But considering the big one is the belly button, im not even remotely concerned about a few 5mm trocar sites.

Lose skin/stretchmarks will/should be a bigger concern for the majority of us

5 - 4 tiny and 1 larger and they fade pretty fast. You can only see 2 of them well plus a huge bruise almost gone. Besides I will likely have worse ones in the end after plastics - these are nothing...

I have 4. One is teeny tiny, and the others are just tiny. I didn't have one that was larger than the rest. Very pleased with Dr. Illan's handiwork there. I'm 8 months postop, and other than putting body lotion on after showers, haven't done anything special. The scars are visible, but have faded to about 1/2 white, 1/2 light pink. (I have fair, caucasian skin). As well as they've healed, even if there were 3 more of them, I wouldn't be concerned. I have enough loose skin that I won't be sporting a bikini anytime soon ever.

They used the glue on me too. I had Gastric bypass though. I have about six scars. The smaller ones got lighter and aren't noticeable at all, it's just the bigger one that got a little dark. The lighter ones faded after a few months.

I haven't really given my scars much thought because they don't bother me. I just think the scars are another story added to my body. As far as what I've heard that helps with scars are Vitamin E.

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-150
GW-130
Size- 4 or 6, Small in sweats. Medium in shirts. depends on how it's cut or made.
Bra Size- 38D

Surgery Date- April 26th, 2017
RNY
"Only those who try will become" FFX

Same story for me. I have some hard lumps under my scars that I hope soften or reduce. I was RNY on 11/20/17. It's going great. 0 nausea.

Same story for me. I have some hard lumps under my scars that I hope soften or reduce. I was RNY on 11/20/17. It's going great. 0 nausea.

I meant to add that Vitamin e is good for stretch marks too and I bought some oils and slather it all over.

Compared to the stretch marks....the surgical scars are an afterthought. I look like a bear used my belly as a scratching post. My skin didn't care for pregnancy.

I have 5 scars. I was looking for them yesterday and could only find 3. They sorta blend in with all of my leftover, crepe-y, stetchmarked skin.

I have 6 scars. 5 from the surgical incisions and one from the drain. The only one that's visible still is the one from the drain. I'm about a year post op at this point.

Mine are almost gone, thank you cocco butter! I had 5 total, and now I only have 1 major one that I can find.

sw: 334
pre-op: 314
cw: 213

I'm only 6 days out so they're not scars yet, but I have 5 incisions. One is teeny tiny. Thee steristrip has already fallen off (it's on my bra line) and the scalp is just larger than a pen tip. The steristrip on the others are only about 1/4", so I expect those incisions are pretty small as well. My gallbladder scars are much larger. I'm 5 years out from that and you have to be inches from my belly to see them. I imagine the same will be true for these ones.

Edited by ItsJustMeToo

On 12/2/2017 at 6:53 AM, Tanyatata said:

Sleeved on 11/14 and I have 7 (lucky) scars. I expected only 3ish. I didn’t think about it in the hospital because of my state but now that I feel a lot better I’m starting to think about it. I did have a few residents join in on the operation and wonder if “ they all had a turn”

I also have been reading some of the success stories and noticed that on some of the after pics, I don’t see ANY scars whatsoever.

Soooo...how many holes do you have? Is there something that I can use to minimize the scars? They currently have surgical glue on each. When will that come off too?

I'm laughing at myself because I never looked to see them before. Here I am in front of my computer lifting my shirt...I had four surgery incisions and the drain. They are not noticeable. No lotions...Just faded on their own.

True story and a side note: Guy newly out from surgery. He was taking off his shirt in a locker room. He still had tape and his incisions were noticeable.. Two guy's asked "what happened?" He look at them and said. "Knife fight"