Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Buddies Group - Surgery Dec 4 to 15, 2017

I'm 9 days out now...and I know I'm in full fat burning mode. My post op 2 week diet is only 8oz of Protein Shake total each day plus fluids. I know I'm in full fat burning mode, not just from the scale but apparently I have the ketosis breath that comes with low carb diets. It's really bad - my poor husband.
Anyone else experiencing this or know how long this should last? when I research I get that it can last while you're eating low carb...eek.

Tell me about it! I'm in real bad ketosis too, I was still constantly nauseous 4 days post op even with meds, so my surgeon said that was what was happening because nausea can be a side effect of deep ketosis. But they allowed me 1 Tbsp of Beans, which I mixed with Bone Broth and finally the nausea went away! But I still have the nasty taste in my mouth and the ketosis breath is awful! [emoji40]

Sent from my SM-G892A using BariatricPal mobile app

welcome to this great group of supportive buddies- good luck Monday - I'm sure it will go great! [emoji4]

Thank you! [emoji175]

11 hours ago, Jeannie49 said:

that's a good reminder KCRN..it does sneak up sometimes...congrats on getting your diet advanced! I'm living for Wednesday when hopefully that will happen for me at my first follow up! are you feeling good now? been doing better with the fluids/nausea?

Sorry to hear that. I have my first follow up on Dec 20, sleeved on Dec 5. I was doing so great until Tuesday!! Then I over did, had an apt with primary care, then Christmas Program for granddaughter and I collapsed. The one thing my doctor told my hubby in the hospital is not to let me get fatigued because it will cause a vicious cycle. So I'm taking it easy. Had so much energy last Monday, flop on Tuesday!

1 hour ago, lromero1989 said:

Tracy how exciting that’s my surgery date too I am so happy for you girl i am ur buddy lol

Hope you're doing good. Take it easy during the healing process.

Hi everyone, I started this buddies group and I haven't been on much since Tuesday. I feel like I need a shoulder to cry on. I flopped on Tuesday by overdoing. I felt great after surgery on Dec 5 until Monday and then Tues I had to get ready, go to the doctor, thought great this is my first big time out....I was up all day, no rest. Then that afternoon felt like I was about to drop but had a Christmas program for my granddaughter. It wasn't until 6:30pm. I got so upset at my son there who wouldn't even come sit with us and he hasn't even called me since surgery, I had to call me and I got sooooo upset, we left right after her part in the program. I mean so upset it really affected me I couldn't calm down even though after getting home I was exhausted. Didn't what to do so I took an Ambien to get to sleep. I haven't been the same since. Tired most of the time. I haven't been back on my high blood pressure meds since surgery but I bet it was up on Tuesday. I'm down 12 lbs as of Tuesday, that was one week and 14 by Thursday. My scale is the same as the doctor which is good to know the true weight. Now it's the same, nothing. I read all these huge numbers but try to only focus about me. I've had mostly diarrhea since last Friday which I guess could catch up with me too. I'm getting my fluids and Protein.< br /> Any suggestions?

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 5:22 PM, hollyb815 said:

Never thought I would be saying this, but I honestly cannot wait till I can have cream of wheat and cottage cheese. And I could totally live off of acocados alone Yummo!! Lol

And thank you for the encouragement. I'm jealous tho, my Doc says liquid diet til our first post op visit. Which is not till Thursday. (7 more days:(

Holly I was sleeved on the 5th and post on the 20th, Wed. liquids until then. I've been talking to my hubby about doing a treat tray for our friends this coming week, as long a I have the energy but he's helping me. I'm talking all sweet treats and it's not phasing me one bit. Happy about that. We bought avocados and cheese too!! I just am so scared I stop losing!!

8 hours ago, Road2Newme3 said:

Tell me about it! I'm in real bad ketosis too, I was still constantly nauseous 4 days post op even with meds, so my surgeon said that was what was happening because nausea can be a side effect of deep ketosis. But they allowed me 1 Tbsp of Beans, which I mixed with bone broth and finally the nausea went away! But I still have the nasty taste in my mouth and the ketosis breath is awful!

Sent from my SM-G892A using BariatricPal mobile app

Ketosis bad breath is a side effect of ketosis and it will stay. Get that mouth wash with 2 compartments that says it helps for 12-24 hours.

Thanks for starting this group Mary. sorry you are going through these trying times .. so many emotions at such a time of the year to add to all you have been through. Keep the faith .. take care of you. Put yourself first you deserve it. You have come along way. Family really plays on our emotions and can be a set back .. in my opinion it’s so hard because of the moms .. people we are. I am letting my step children effect my journey. I’ve got to be humble yet take care of me. Kindness .my emotions are derailing me a bit but it’s worth resetting my mind and concentrate on the big picture. Rest up and reset you have got this. Seems to me Your a very special person. Good vibes and strength sending your way.

My date was changed again :/. Dec 28.. ugh. But I think with the holidays less stress. Take care of the family, Than it’s all about me!

Getting so much insight to prepare .. Thanks to the whole group.

6 hours ago, SKF said:

Thanks for starting this group Mary. sorry you are going through these trying times .. so many emotions at such a time of the year to add to all you have been through. Keep the faith .. take care of you. Put yourself first you deserve it. You have come along way. Family really plays on our emotions and can be a set back .. in my opinion it’s so hard because of the moms .. people we are. I am letting my step children effect my journey. I’ve got to be humble yet take care of me. Kindness .my emotions are derailing me a bit but it’s worth resetting my mind and concentrate on the big picture. Rest up and reset you have got this. Seems to me Your a very special person. Good vibes and strength sending your way.

My date was changed again :/. Dec 28.. ugh. But I think with the holidays less stress. Take care of the family, Than it’s all about me!

Getting so much insight to prepare .. Thanks to the whole group.

Thanks SK, seems like today I have a little more energy. But I have to be careful cause it catches up with me later in the day. We are huge on Christmas and that's why I think I'm so frustrated. Used to put 150K lights on our house, we were on TLC's Invasion of the Christmas Lights but haven't done the lights for 4 Christmas' but we are still doing the toy and food drive we've done for 14 yrs. It's smaller this year so that part is good for me cause it's a huge job. You're right, I have to think about myself. Even going through this I decided it is for me, not hoping my husband would lose, which he needs to desperately. I've been burned out working on the side even though I've been on disability for years. My hubby was on disability in 2016 and it was so stressful to see him in pain, plus I had to do everything, the bills, the house and earn some income. It took a toll on me even up to this year. I had my lap band out in Jan 2017 and have wanted this surgery then but they said I needed to wait and let sores on my stomach from the lap band to heal. Then Nov 7 was my date and our car show fundraiser was rained out and rescheduled for the 11th which blew out my surgery date. So Dec 5 was the time and I have no regrets. Probably good your surgery is after Christmas. My doctor only had me on a liquid diet for 2 days before surgery and I ate all my "last favorite foods" the two weeks before that but smaller portions. I still lost 5 lbs somehow, lol. How long do you have to do a liquid diet before surgery? I hope it's 2 days like me, it will help for Christmas Day. Thanks for writing. I really appreciate it. I'll keep posting how I'm doing. My post op is Wednesday to get the staples out, I'm so ready, they hurt!!

Yesterday I was down as well over reading a post on a Facebook group. A gal posted that she had surgery ONE DAY before me on Dec 4th and she's lost 35 lbs SINCE surgery. What? wow, I have never heard this before. My husband says she's lying as I know some people embellish their results. More believable is 35 since she started. But in only 11 days? I think most of the people who read that post was not believing it. I can believe 30 in the first month. Anyone heard of 30 lbs in 10-11 days?

Yesterday I was down as well over reading a post on a Facebook group. A gal posted that she had surgery ONE DAY before me on Dec 4th and she's lost 35 lbs SINCE surgery. What? wow, I have never heard this before. My husband says she's lying as I know some people embellish their results. More believable is 35 since she started. But in only 11 days? I think most of the people who read that post was not believing it. I can believe 30 in the first month. Anyone heard of 30 lbs in 10-11 days?

I heard like twenty within the first week depending on how big the individual is

35 minutes ago, Mary Stokley Gromer said:

Thanks SK, seems like today I have a little more energy. But I have to be careful cause it catches up with me later in the day. We are huge on Christmas and that's why I think I'm so frustrated. Used to put 150K lights on our house, we were on TLC's Invasion of the Christmas Lights but haven't done the lights for 4 Christmas' but we are still doing the toy and food drive we've done for 14 yrs. It's smaller this year so that part is good for me cause it's a huge job. You're right, I have to think about myself. Even going through this I decided it is for me, not hoping my husband would lose, which he needs to desperately. I've been burned out working on the side even though I've been on disability for years. My hubby was on disability in 2016 and it was so stressful to see him in pain, plus I had to do everything, the bills, the house and earn some income. It took a toll on me even up to this year. I had my lap band out in Jan 2017 and have wanted this surgery then but they said I needed to wait and let sores on my stomach from the lap band to heal. Then Nov 7 was my date and our car show fundraiser was rained out and rescheduled for the 11th which blew out my surgery date. So Dec 5 was the time and I have no regrets. Probably good your surgery is after Christmas. My doctor only had me on a liquid diet for 2 days before surgery and I ate all my "last favorite foods" the two weeks before that but smaller portions. I still lost 5 lbs somehow, lol. How long do you have to do a liquid diet before surgery? I hope it's 2 days like me, it will help for Christmas Day. Thanks for writing. I really appreciate it. I'll keep posting how I'm doing. My post op is Wednesday to get the staples out, I'm so ready, they hurt!!

You have been through so much! Whew! !i just realized how to comment on your responses and comments :/! Technology challenges.

Sounds Like you have a big heart. Joel O was good today and I reset my thinking and have had a better mindset and day.

This is definitely an adjustment and the Lapband revision is why I’ve been so adamant since my removal this past August.. my stomach wasn’t too bad., the longer I wait things are going backwards:(... I am a low BMI 30 ... now

Feeling Good and healthy .. physicaly and mentally are our common threads .. not everyone gets the challenges and low or high BMI ers shouldn’t judge.. just support each other through this journey ..

My hopes for you and all of us to hear the good bad and kindness we all need.

I am a bit nervous band to sleeve.. I followed the program on the sleeve but this seems scary that it is permanently even though I was in the lapband for the long haul. I didn’t want it out!

I didn’t know you get staples removed ???

My preop is three days liquid .. one clear. Starting now the dates changed to 28.. so I’ll enjoy the holidays a little bit .. Some food and drinks wise ., definitely am not over doing it! Not worth it ..

i wonderif this is very different than the Lapband? A good decision? My husband thinks just stay as I am .. why take this risk..?

Is there a lot of pain? Do you ever feel normal again.. I’ve lived with the band for 6 years and didn’t mind it must if the time. Well keep us all in the loop on your recovery. Thank you!

Edited by SKF
Typo