Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's lose not loose (smh)

Okay I don't post much but I read ALOT. And something has been really really irritating me. After seeing this grammatical error more times then I can count I just can't take it anymore! ! I understand it's not that important to some people but honestly there's a huge difference between lose and loose. Lose means you lost something (weight etc.). Loose means that's something doesn't fit anymore( loose skin, loose clothing, etc). Thank you and that is all. [emoji51]
Sent from my SM-N910C using BariatricPal mobile app

I notice grammar errors on all kinds of material, and I feel your pain. I'm a teacher, so it's a habit. However, I grit my teeth and continue past it when I'm not working with my students.

Since we're on the topic, here's a grammar lesson for you. [emoji57]

then = time
I will go shopping, THEN I will cook dinner.< br>
than = comparison
I see this error more THAN I can count.

Enjoy your day.

The use of the word "loose" bothers me as well, but I never point it out. We live in a society where people quickly type things out, and nobody uses spell or grammar check. I think it is allowed in a non-formal setting, so I never lose sleep over it.

I'm more concerned with people that ask questions without giving any information.

Ex. I stopped losing weight...Is that normal?

I normally chuckle, then answer by asking questions of my own.

Don't judge me. At least I still try to help!

2 hours ago, MowryRocks said:

Ok...So I don't normally get involved in this type of ish, but...I will this time because I am a self proclaimed Chief of the Grammar Police. I regularly correct the grammatical errors of my family, friends, and people that I know in passing. I would never correct or comment on the grammar of the public at large to the public at large unless, of course, they are using the made up phrase "You guyses". That's my pet peeve.

The problem I have with this post actually comes down to your admission that you are an ESL teacher. I'm assuming that you are in the U.S. (Yes...assuming and I am very well aware of that danger) This is from whom they are learning our language? This is the type of behavior they are witnessing from Americans toward other humans without regard for educational levels, mental capabilities, or learning disabilities? That's disheartening.

I have to say that another one of my pet peeves is spelling. There is something to be said for a lot vs alot. I believe I learned that in the 3rd grade and it must've been driven into me because as a layperson (not a teacher of language) I still have never forgotten.

Symantics? Is that a computer language? A Frolicking robot game?

I believe you may have been referring to semantics

I'm sure that you'll correct me if I'm wrong.

se·man·tic
səˈman(t)ik/
adjective
adjective: semantic
  1. relating to meaning in language or logic.

As Chief of the Grammar Police, you may want to review the Punctuation Guide on the proper placement of a period at the end of a sentence, with parentheses, and with quotation marks. You made sure to point out soready17’s grammatical errors but you also made some in your response.

In reply to all who had a problem with my post... honestly I'm a good sport and I assumed you guys would get the jokes that I put out. I had an error in my grammar (alot/a lot)... and literally laughed out loud cuz I thought it was funny...apparently you guys are taking it waaaaaay too personal for my taste so I'm just going to leave this here. Attacking my profession and assuming I'm DANGEROUS is the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard. You guys made a mountain out of a molehill. Everyone is in consensus that I shouldn't have pointed it out... welllll that's just me and really can't keep things like that bottled up especially if it bothers me. So I posted it and everyone thinks I'm a danger to society lmao. I must have angered all the people who you loose in their daily language...excuse me for making you soooo butt hurt that you are SEETHING...holy shi! Also symantics semantics that was an innocent typo you are just looking for anything to make yourself the grammar queen...which I in no way want to become. Again be a good sport folks and my intention was truly getting people to know the difference. That's alllllll

Lol never said anyone was an idiot and never attacked anyone personally. Please go back to the original post and read it again. I was annoyed with the word loose used as lose and said they are different. Never made fun of anyone and didn't attack anyone. Also using loose instead of lose is NOT an innocent typo...you either know the difference or you don't. Just like I didn't know enough to use a lot instead. See? I learned something today too. I am NOT attacking anyone's learning capabilities...so stop making me sound like I'm evil. I'm not even close to that adjective. Excuse me for defending myself. Everyone can defend themselves without being a d**k to others.

As Chief of the Grammar Police, you may want to review the Punctuation Guide on the proper placement of a period at the end of a sentence, with parentheses, and with quotation marks. You made sure to point out soready17’s grammatical errors but you also made some in your response.

I am in shock at how pissed off everyone is. I swear I meant it in good fun...but it just made people maaad. Thanks anyway. At least there are some people who get my humour and intent.

Well, I for one enjoyed this thread -- silly, and I'm sure OP recognized that when she posted. I spot grammar errors all of the time. I only correct stuff that goes out professionally with my name on it. Everyone needs to relax. :-)

Ok, so let me explain what bothered me so much about your original rant.

1. There are people here who are so concerned with privacy, they won't speak up on the boards and ask questions.

2. There are others who may fear speaking, because they either don't spell well, or have poor grammar, or speak English as their second language--so they don't ask questions.

3. This is a support board, yet your OP was not light hearted. It didn't read that way from my perspective. So all I could think of is dayum...think of all the poor peeps who won't speak up cuz another one of these threads made it to the boards. (There are people that reticent to post.)

4. It's shaming. And we're a support board. So why the need to shame?

5. It's a rant. Put it in the dadgum rant section so I have something good to read over coffee tomorrow morning! Always the same! Nothin new in the rant section.

6. Then you acted all prissy and no where did I get your humor or intent until you proclaimed it in the last couple of pages...too late.

I agree Ms. Fluffy!
I have a masters degree. I teach. I write 15 page comprehensive assessment reports on children. When I write from my phone, I make tons of errors. My phone also changes words on me. Guess what? I don’t give a damn. I’m writing quickly on a tiny keyboard. I’m lucky. I don’t have a disability and I speak English. I’m just lazy. So please give me a little break if my posts are not grammatically correct or have phonetic, semantic, or syntactic errors. I hope this feed does not discourage anyone from sharing their thoughts and needs. Let’s be inclusive! Not to mention, I love reading the posts from those who are still in the hospital and drugged up on pain killers- their grammar and spelling puts a smile on my face!

21 minutes ago, dreamynow said:

Not to mention, I love reading the posts from those who are still in the hospital and drugged up on pain killers- their grammar and spelling puts a smile on my face!

Oh holy cow! I'd pay to read those posts! :D :460_circus_tent:

Ok, so let me explain what bothered me so much about your original rant.
1. There are people here who are so concerned with privacy, they won't speak up on the boards and ask questions.
2. There are others who may fear speaking, because they either don't spell well, or have poor grammar, or speak English as their second language--so they don't ask questions.
3. This is a support board, yet your OP was not light hearted. It didn't read that way from my perspective. So all I could think of is dayum...think of all the poor peeps who won't speak up cuz another one of these threads made it to the boards. (There are people that reticent to post.)
4. It's shaming. And we're a support board. So why the need to shame?
5. It's a rant. Put it in the dadgum rant section so I have something good to read over coffee tomorrow morning! Always the same! Nothin new in the rant section.
6. Then you acted all prissy and no where did I get your humor or intent until you proclaimed it in the last couple of pages...too late.

With all due respect, I really don't care what bothered you about my post. Your ego is so much bigger then you know to think that I am here to please you or that I should work to not bother you. So keep your opinions to yourself. And your condescending tone of "too late" just shows how highly you think of yourself that I was "too late" in explaining myself to you. You my lady have a superiority complex and I for one will not feed into that.

I agree Ms. Fluffy!
I have a masters degree. I teach. I write 15 page comprehensive assessment reports on children. When I write from my phone, I make tons of errors. My phone also changes words on me. Guess what? I don’t give a damn. I’m writing quickly on a tiny keyboard. I’m lucky. I don’t have a disability and I speak English. I’m just lazy. So please give me a little break if my posts are not grammatically correct or have phonetic, semantic, or syntactic errors. I hope this feed does not discourage anyone from sharing their thoughts and needs. Let’s be inclusive! Not to mention, I love reading the posts from those who are still in the hospital and drugged up on pain killers- their grammar and spelling puts a smile on my face!

Another butt hurt educated person. At least you proved me right on one thing. No one on here has a disability they are just lazy. Thanks for that... it proves my point.

Well, I for one enjoyed this thread -- silly, and I'm sure OP recognized that when she posted. I spot grammar errors all of the time. I only correct stuff that goes out professionally with my name on it. Everyone needs to relax. :-)

Completely agree. But I guess I'm different in that I mentioned it on a public board...so sue me lol... I meant no harm.

The use of the word "loose" bothers me as well, but I never point it out. We live in a society where people quickly type things out, and nobody uses spell or grammar check. I think it is allowed in a non-formal setting, so I never lose sleep over it.
I'm more concerned with people that ask questions without giving any information.
Ex. I stopped losing weight...Is that normal?
I normally chuckle, then answer by asking questions of my own.
Don't judge me. At least I still try to help!

You always see me like.. "are you going to tell us what your eating ? Or should we guess " lol

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app