Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Halfway through liquid diet from hell

7 days down, 7 to go. Having surgery on December 5. I'm the first surgery in the morning.

My liquid diet has sucked. No way to sugar coat that. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I'm incredibly hungry and angry. LOL. And my brain doesn't work. Really horrific brain fog.

When you cut out all carbs and sugar, your liver has to kick into gear and make sugar for your body through a process called gluconeogenesis. You NEED glucose in your blood for basic functions. In particular, your brain needs glucose to function.

When you're glucose deprived, it can be hard to concentrate, you can need extra effort for decisions, your impulse -control can be worse, and your emotions can be out of whack. I can attest to all of this being true. I'm forgetting everything. I feel foggy, and like I have to concentrate harder to stay on task. Have had headaches on and off and felt really tired. And did I mention I'm really grumpy? Like...really grumpy, and weepy, and kinda...unhinged. (more so than usual!)

My particular diet is 5 shakes, sugar free popcicles, sugar free Jello, broth, and one 100 calorie serving of either cream of wheat or yogurt per day....for two weeks. Here's a tip: If you're on this diet? Save your one item with carbs (the yogurt or cream of wheat) for just before you have to drive. You'll be more clear headed while driving, and drive safer.

I kept forgetting how many shakes I'd had, so I put five clothespins on my kitchen curtains and moved them over to the other side as I drank my shakes. No second guessing that way. It helped.

You do lose weight rapidly. I've lost about a pound a day. But again...this sucks so much. LOL. My previous wonderful low fat, low carb, calorie restricted diet seems decadent and indulgent by comparison. I miss my diet food. It was delicious and I'll never take it for granted again.

I do feel more prepared for the psychological effects of the post-surgical diet. I already know how hard it is not to eat anything solid...and what weird things not eating carbs can do to your brain. I know how different I feel with my liver making all the sugar I need....and that I'm emotionally pretty raw.

I've never done anything like this in my life, and it's pretty intense.

While I really hate this diet....there is a certain comfort in knowing I won't be facing these changes for the first time right after surgery. I think it would add stress at a time I want to keep stress at bay as much as possible. I'll have my hands full with learning to stay hydrated.

Tomorrow will be the eighth day...over the first hill, and on my way down the slope to surgery...I'm halfway home. Then another couple of weeks until mushy foods get reintroduced.

I really never put together that I'd be in starvation mode for over a month. This is one of the hardest things I've ever done.

I'm on the same liquid diet except I just need 4 shakes a day and I can have veggies. You can do it...Hang in there!!!:)

Oh, I'm doing it, Jade. Just not enjoying myself. LOL. I just thought a really gritty honest post might make folks going through it feel less alone.

I never knew I had such a seriously demented psychological attachment to food.

Last night I insisted on cooking my husband something...he has been super supportive and said that absolutely wasn't necessary, he's perfectly capable of fixing himself something.......but I wanted to spend time with food even if I couldn't eat it. How messed up is that?

I made him loaded potato cakes out of left over Thanksgiving mashed potatoes, with some ham and perfect eggs over easy. And then I used the rest of the batter up making one for my dog. LOL!

I dunno...seeing them eat made me feel better. And yes, I'm aware that's probably pathological and I should probably consult a therapist. LOL.

But by God...I have not cheated. I'm following my plan to a T. And I'll continue to.

Day eight. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tomorrow, I see my surgeon for a final individual consult and a seminar with a handful of other folks having surgery at my bariatric center in the next couple of weeks. Then, Thursday, I see my dietician for a post-surgical diet seminar. Then, the weekend....and Tuesday it's show time!

Thanks, Jade, for the encouragment! Wishing you the very best and a great outcome:)

Edited by Creekimp13

I don't think it is an attachment to food to miss it while only on liquid... I think it's somewhat natural because we are used to eat and yes diet food seems HEAVENLY right now. i still got 3 liquid week to go, and god it can be so hard!

And my weight is stalling.... lost 9lbs and now nothing for 4 days ....

I'm one week away from beginning my Protein Shake fast. I'm reading all I can on what to expect and how it's going to be. My surgery is on Dec 18. All this week I have been hit with the reality that this relationship with food is seriously ending. It was an abusive relationship and I'm finally breaking up. I feel hope for the future.

2 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

Oh, I'm doing it, Jade. Just not enjoying myself. LOL. I just thought a really gritty honest post might make folks going through it feel less alone.

I never knew I had such a seriously demented psychological attachment to food.

Last night I insisted on cooking my husband something...he has been super supportive and said that absolutely wasn't necessary, he's perfectly capable of fixing himself something.......but I wanted to spend time with food even if I couldn't eat it. How messed up is that?

I made him loaded potato cakes out of left over Thanksgiving mashed potatoes, with some ham and perfect eggs over easy. And then I used the rest of the batter up making one for my dog. LOL!

I dunno...seeing them eat made me feel better. And yes, I'm aware that's probably pathological and I should probably consult a therapist. LOL.

But by God...I have not cheated. I'm following my plan to a T. And I'll continue to.

Day eight. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tomorrow, I see my surgeon for a final individual consult and a seminar with a handful of other folks having surgery at my bariatric center in the next couple of weeks. Then, Thursday, I see my dietician for a post-surgical diet seminar. Then, the weekend....and Tuesday it's show time!

Thanks, Jade, for the encouragment! Wishing you the very best and a great outcome:)

Ok I'm going to try not to think about how good that dinner that you fixed your hubby sounds to me right about now..lol.. My 17yr old daughter is a GREAT COOK, she makes this SAGE chicken that's to die for mmmm, but last night she made Tacos and I thought I was going to just faint they smelled sooooo good...lol, but I didn't cheat. And I got over it quickly...lol. She is very supportive about this whole surgery thing. She even suggested that I go upstairs, so I wouldn't be around when she was cooking....lol.

My liquid diet doesn't start until 12/14 (surgery is 12/28) but I put myself on a modified version this week (liquids + some fruit) to see how it feels and get my body use to it. It's only day 2 but I'm not minding it so far. I'm sure once I don't have fruit, it'll be a different story but for anyone who hasn't started their liquid diet, I might recommend easing yourself into it like this. I think it would be a lot harder to go from regular eating to the liquid diet with no in-between.

Kaydo, yes you should start changing your diet now! it will help. I learned last minute for my date and everything that I did a last restaurant and went ahead for my 4 weeks of hell lol

You can just start nothing your caloric in take I was on calorie counting before I started liquid diet so I am not hungry .. just frustrated to just get those damn shakes lol. best of luck!

3 hours ago, kaydo said:

My liquid diet doesn't start until 12/14 (surgery is 12/28) but I put myself on a modified version this week (liquids + some fruit) to see how it feels and get my body use to it. It's only day 2 but I'm not minding it so far. I'm sure once I don't have fruit, it'll be a different story but for anyone who hasn't started their liquid diet, I might recommend easing yourself into it like this. I think it would be a lot harder to go from regular eating to the liquid diet with no in-between.

Oh you better believe it will be a different story, once that sugar is cut out.

What Jade said. It's losing the sugar and carbs...that really hurts. it shrinks your liver because it forces your liver to make sugar for your body out of stored amino acids and stuff....it's kinda brutal. Get ready for brain fog.

I definitely expect it to be harder once I don't have any fruit, but I still think it's valuable to do this for a while first, to "ease" into it. Previously, the most weight I ever lost was on the South Beach Diet (no sugar/carbs at the beginning, and very few later); I don't remember brain fog as much as HUNGER at the beginning, but I know it subsides as you wean off the cravings.

From my pure liquid idealfast, i haven't added any veggies as the shakes fills me enough, it takes about a week 1/2 for your body to accept it well.

I would suggest adding fibers too. As Constipation can be a real problem.

2 minutes ago, thatblondechick said:

Anyone chew gum during liquid diet? I couldn't help pick up some sugar free today.... I accidentally swallowed it. Oops.

Sent from my SM-G930P using BariatricPal mobile app

I wouldn't chew anymore.