Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking after VSG..

Today I'm 6 weeks post op. I went out with my boy that's in from Tampa to have some drinks/food for happy hour. We used to drink like maniacs. Shot after shot... Sooo I had 2 shots and a bloody Mary total at the 4 bars we went too. Ordered a crab cake . But Yea I'm home now and feel pretty good and proud of myself... the old Kenny would still be out getting it on.. I had enough of that life I wanted it too be over. How did everybody deal with drinking once they started again. After they're VSG surgery ?

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

Good for you. I use to drink all the time. Actually that is how I gained over 60lbs in the past 4 years.....DRINKING!!! I made a decision when I decided to get WLS that I had to quit drinking and if I did have a drink it had to be on occasion and not every weekend until I was drunk. I had a beer last week and it didn't sit well with me (because of the carbonation), so I had a glass of wine instead. I felt tipsy after 4 oz and I got worried so I didn't drink anymore. I decided those days are behind me. A drink every now and then is fine but I would be careful doing shots especially the sugary ones. Its just calories that are unnecessary and it can always lead back to drinking a lot. Best of luck to you.

10 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

How did everybody deal with drinking once they started again. After they're VSG surgery ?

Badly. I've always been a drinker. Once I fully healed I became more of a drinker. One to two bottles of wine a day every day. I don't recommend that. If you're the kind of person who can have one or two drinks & stop, I envy you. I know myself well enough to know if there's a bottle open, I need to finish it. Today makes 105 days since I've had a drink.

2 minutes ago, DaleCruse said:

Badly. I've always been a drinker. Once I fully healed I became more of a drinker. One to two bottles of wine a day every day. I don't recommend that. If you're the kind of person who can have one or two drinks & stop, I envy you. I know myself well enough to know if there's a bottle open, I need to finish it. Today makes 105 days since I've had a drink.

Good for you, that is great news.

6 weeks post op is a bit early for any drinking from my memory. This is most definitely something you should ask your surgeon and not a bunch of strangers on the internet. There are very good reasons not to be drinking alcohol that have nothing to do with the calories. A blood thinning barbiturate is not the best thing for someone who just had surgery on their digestive system. A bleed or death is not unheard of because of alcohol consumption.

After you hit 6 months or a year, you'll have the rest of your life to drink. Is it really worth it to have a drink now?