Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m worried I have a leak

I’m seeing my surgeon tomorrow for my one week post-op and hopefully they’ll see what’s going on but I’m hoping I’m just worried for nothing.

I just had my sleeve done on October 17th and I’m not feeling well. I’m really cold but I know that’s a normal thing. But my blood pressure gets low in the morning and I feel dizzy and nauseous like I’m gonna pass out. I’ve had this problem before my surgery but it’s more often now. And I also still have ALOT of gas I’m constantly burping and I haven’t had a bowel movement yet.

It’s hard for me to get liquids down. So far I’m able to get one-one and a half Protein Shakes down and one 30oz bottle of Water a day. However anytime I do drink something my esophagus feels weird (like I need to burp) then my stomach feels nauseous. Lastly I feel like my heart races alittle faster if I do anything physical. I have no problem walking around it’s just if I reach or bend down for something but thinks I’ve never had problems with. I have a lot of anxiety issues with panic attacks so maybe I’m just overthinking for nothing

Sorry you're having a tough time! Hang in there and hopefully a vet will be in to help you soon!

Why do you think its a leak ?

Many of those things are normalish for post op.

Just from what you describe dehydration would be my biggest concern, followed by anxiety.

I mean a leak is possible, but its 8 days post op and your symptoms are very generalized

Why do you think its a leak ?

Many of those things are normalish for post op.

Just from what you describe dehydration would be my biggest concern, followed by anxiety.

I mean a leak is possible, but its 8 days post op and your symptoms are very generalized

Thank you! I think most of it is due to anxiety cause I’m 19 years old and this was also my first surgery so lots of nerves and concerns

Leak is the most severe complication. To my knowledge it is accompanied by a terminal fever, terrible pains (10/10) and actually inability to do anything- even to call 911. What you are describing is a standard post-op situation, most likely caused by dehydration (as you’ve mentioned). Burping and other unpleasant things like gas and Constipation are fine - just give your body some time. Here is the list of the most important things, in the order of importance:

- liquids - do 64oz daily, even if you have to sip every 5 minutes

- protein- do as many as you can, ideally in liquid form

- walk and rest

I agree that everything sounds pretty normal. A leak usually will make you spike a fever. Get a good thermometer and take your temperature each day or anytime you are concerned. Fever over 100 Fahrenheit warrants a call to your doc. (102 or over, go to the ER). Fevers can also be other things, so don't panic if you do get one!

I'm sure everything is gonna be fine. Push those fluids!

Hi...my surgery date was 10/16 I was experiencing some of the same symptoms but I also was having a lot of cramping in my legs I went to er turns out I was dehydrated they give me loads and now I feel better but I have to try and do better with my intake ..it's jus so hard to get anythg down but I find if I put my drinks on ice and drop it really cold it's easier for me to get the down

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I agree with Dehydration. It's hard to stay hydrated in the early days. You have to really work at drinking and walking, which will relieve a lot of the gas issues. The dizziness could also be due to low blood sugar or just a need to get more nutrition in.