Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 days post op - struggling with fluids

Im 4 days post op. Everything hurts. My surgeon asked me to drink 16 cups of fluids (250ml each) which seems physically impossible. Did everyone face the same challenge in their early days? When does it get better? What is the minimum intake of fluids needed to prevent dehydration?

Sent from my SM-N910C using BariatricPal mobile app

Michigan's Dr. Weiner (youtube)says 40oz is the bare minimum. Sip constantly. Try room temp or warm. Try SF popsicles.

I'm "downing" my shakes and sipping on Soups and Water all day. I was on the edge of sickness on Day 4, but that subsided by Day 5. SF popsicles are a great treat with the added benefit of being a liquid. I'm not keeping track of my intake, but I know I'm doing well because I'm peeing all day long!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm "downing" my shakes and sipping on Soups and Water all day. I was on the edge of sickness on Day 4, but that subsided by Day 5. SF popsicles are a great treat with the added benefit of being a liquid. I'm not keeping track of my intake, but I know I'm doing well because I'm peeing all day long!

Sorry, I just realize this is a post-op question. I'm still in pre-op. [emoji57]

Im 4 days post op. Everything hurts. My surgeon asked me to drink 16 cups of fluids (250ml each) which seems physically impossible. Did everyone face the same challenge in their early days? When does it get better? What is the minimum intake of fluids needed to prevent dehydration?
Sent from my SM-N910C using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m in the same boat. Day 4 and i can hardly get 8oz in.

4 days post for me. Popsicles help a lot. I keep getting heartburn when I try to drink Protein Shakes. I'm taking acid reducer

Sent from my SM-J327T using BariatricPal mobile app

5 days post op I'm suppose to get 60 grams of Protein in a day I sip one premier shake (30grams) in the morning time and sip my broth other Clear Liquids for like 15 -25 mins at a time midday and drink another shake like around 7pm since it takes a while to finish ... So far so good no vomiting or anything

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

Getting all of anything early in your recovery is going to be tough. Do the best you can is the best advice I got. Remember that everything you drink this early is Fluid. I counted it all and that helped take the pressure off getting all my "water" in. Your new, tiny tummies are so swollen right now sips are all they can handle. Just work hard to stay hydrated and you'll start to see your ability to take in more fluids increase as you heal.

The biggest concern is dehydration so keep that water bottle close and sip, sip, sip. It helped me to put my shakes in 2 oz containers and set my phone to remind me to drink one ever hour and a half. I couldn't consume a whole shake until I was over a month out from surgery.

Take care

I am 10 days post surgery and had a hernia repair at the same time which severely restricted my intake. What I finally figured out was to give up on the idea of meals. I make my own Protein Shake with Protein Powder, goats milk kefir and frozen fruit. I run it through the blender and then I sieve it to get any bits out of it. This then becomes my job to drink. I eat it with a teaspoon, keep it in my hand at all times and just trickle it in. Once that is in I move on to coffee diluted massively with Almond milk (I am allergic to dairy) and sip that in the same way (usually an espresso cup size). Then I take Soup or bone broth and sit down again with my teaspoon. This has been the only way I have found that I can avoid dehydration. Once I am into puréed foods, I will eat those at meal times and then start to switch my fluids back to just tea, Water and coffee.

On 10/15/2017 at 1:35 PM, Missytee said:

I’m in the same boat. Day 4 and i can hardly get 8oz in.

If you are only getting 8oz of fluids in, you are already dehydrated. You need to call your surgeon and go somewhere for IV fluids, today.

On 10/15/2017 at 6:10 AM, salma.aida said:

Im 4 days post op. Everything hurts. My surgeon asked me to drink 16 cups of fluids...

16 cups is twice as much as the typical recommendation. I don't know if you have special considerations as a patient, but if you are unsure, you should call your doc to clarify. (Sometimes people are in an exceptionally hot climate and need more than usual, or you, personally, need more).

Keep in mind that anything you can drink counts toward your goal.

The ideal ratio of Water to Protein is 1oz to 1 gram. So if you get 60g protein, but only 30oz fluid.. to digest the protein you will draw water out of your body, making you more dehydrated than if you drank 30oz with no protein.