Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I continually read, and my doc affirms, gastric bypass patients lose an average of 70% of their excess body weight. I'm a little disappointed because I will still be fat if I lose only that amount. What has been your experience? What has been your average weight loss per week?

I think if you work out , you’ll lose all your weight. Perhaps after you lose the 70%, you’ll just have to work a bit harder for the rest to come off.. have faith and don’t stress about the future that we can’t predict. I can’t give a true “ average” weight loss for me as I know it’s not realistic. Since I’ve lost 21lbs in 2 wks...

5 minutes ago, SGirl35 said:

I think if you work out , you’ll lose all your weight. Perhaps after you lose the 70%, you’ll just have to work a bit harder for the rest to come off.. have faith and don’t stress about the future that we can’t predict. I can’t give a true “ average” weight loss for me as I know it’s not realistic. Since I’ve lost 21lbs in 2 wks...

Maybe I misunderstood my doctor and the info I read. Maybe the 70% is without working out. I am planning on kicking this weight problem in the booty so I can get my nice one back! Thanks for sharing your thoughts SGirl35! You're my new best friend =)

Maybe I misunderstood my doctor and the info I read. Maybe the 70% is without working out. I am planning on kicking this weight problem in the booty so I can get my nice one back! Thanks for sharing your thoughts SGirl35! You're my new best friend =)

You’re so welcome! You probably didn’t misread it. The charts I think do show 70%, but you know what? I never think anything anyone says is 100% true to MY body. We ultimately can change those charts! So let’s keep our heads up and beat the numbers. By the way, if I only lose 70%, then I’m still fat too. No thanks, I can do better! :)

Ive

lost more then I needed in about 8 months. I can't seem to stop either now and I'm actually trying not to loose more because I'm getting close to being under weight. But everyone's different .

6 hours ago, GlowingGal said:

I continually read, and my doc affirms, gastric bypass patients lose an average of 70% of their excess body weight. I'm a little disappointed because I will still be fat if I lose only that amount.

then don't get the surgery.

It's good you had this discussion with your doc. Lots of people don't, and then are super surprised and upset when the scale stops moving when they are 40lbs above a normal BMI.

Here's an article that talks about it:

http://www.obesityaction.org/educational-resources/resource-articles-2/weight-loss-surgery/dear-doctor-ive-had-bariatric-surgery-will-i-ever-get-to-normal-weight

It's good you had this discussion with your doc. Lots of people don't, and then are super surprised and upset when the scale stops moving when they are 40lbs above a normal BMI.
http://www.obesityaction.org/educational-resources/resource-articles-2/weight-loss-surgery/dear-doctor-ive-had-bariatric-surgery-will-i-ever-get-to-normal-weight

The first year after surgery is important. Those who don’t reach goal might be because they start eating all kinds of things. my surgeon told me I’d reach goal in far less than a year and without issue. Especially since I’ve been that small before. I’m even on the “ smaller” side for a bariatric patient. He said due to all my health problems , my fat is hormonal , so once I’m balanced, I’ll easily lose the weight. Time will tell! I’m not one to really worry ahead nor believe one size fits all. But I can’t speak for people who are over 300lbs .. I’m sure I’ll have to work hard once I reach 150-160... I know the drill.

SW: 248
CW: 229
GW: 130
Had surgery 9/25/2017..

I think the better you are at sticking the plan, and making it a long term lifestyle change, the more weight you will lose.

Awesome article! Thank you so much. I will be getting skin removal surgery, and I like curves so I'll still look better than I do today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using BariatricPal mobile app

While I'm a huge proponent of exercise for all kinds of health reasons and run about 30 miles a week and do 4-5 hours of yoga, most weight is lost in the kitchen not the gym. You can't outrun your fork.

That's not to say you can't lose all the weight you want by working for it, but the work is more diet than exercise. That 70% includes people who workout and exercise.

I do agree that with hard work t can be done though.

While I'm a huge proponent of exercise for all kinds of health reasons and run about 30 miles a week and do 4-5 hours of yoga, most weight is lost in the kitchen not the gym. You can't outrun your fork.

That's not to say you can't lose all the weight you want by working for it, but the work is more diet than exercise. That 70% includes people who workout and exercise.

I do agree that with hard work t can be done though.

I completely agree with you , but at some point when you can’t eat any cleaner or reduce your calories, your body is done. I’ve been through all this as I was once 135 lbs. my diet was strict, but I did put in lots of hours at the gym to maintain this. Most of us don’t burn enough calories in the gym anyhow compared to how much we eat. Now that’s the average person. Maybe not how little bariatric patients consume now. But yes, weight loss is 80% diet. This is true. Plus there are so many other factors like hormones , stress levels and cortisol, health issues , sleep , antiquate Water intake, and more.

It sounds like weekly time with a really good counselor could be helpful while making all these needed changes? I have so much to learn, so my plan is to be a sponge and learn from those who are ahead of me in the process, those walking along side, and those who are positive and forward thinkers. I’m so ready for this! ... but so scared [emoji51]

I've had a sleeve and 70 percent of my excess weight will be 76lbs loss by 12 months. I've already lost almost 60lbs and I'm 4 months post. Granted it slows down as time goes on..but I'm pretty sure I'll lose more than predicted. And many people lose 100 percent of there excess weight I wouldn't think about it to much. Just stick to your plan.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app