Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coping methods for female hair loss

I'd anticipated Hair loss following having the VSG in August of 2015, and was delighted to experience a very minimal amount during the first 18 months, and then startled when shedding began well into the maintenance phase. I believe my hair loss is primarily due to changes in medication rather than an effect of having the VSG due to the timeline, but since many who've had WLS have endured this, I am hopeful of getting coping ideas here. I've since modified the dosage of the medication (more on that below) which has helped to subside the loss, but it will take a while before my hair returns to normal. I've tried various shampoos, conditioners, and masks that are supposed to help with regrowth and stopping loss, with little success, but would be open to suggestions for new ones to try. I just bought a Jon Renau "topper" (it's like a mini-wig that clips into the top of your head to help disguise hair loss) but haven't yet gotten the hang of wearing it. I feel like it's obviously fake, and that makes me self-conscious. I'm also worried about damage that could be caused by the clips. I'm looking into a topper that only uses one clip and a headband by a company called ThinHairThick, but it's pricier, and I haven't found much customer feedback about it yet.

For those curious about the medicine - In November of 2016 I was prescribed Metformin by my endocrinologist to attempt to balance out hormonal issues that were an impediment to conceiving. By that point my BMI had been in the "normal" range for more than six months, and I'd exceeded both my surgeon's goal and the one I'd set for myself. I was already a size four, and had been for a while, so the bulk of the weight loss was prior to this point. My doctor said I might lose some weight on it, but that was not the reason it was prescribed. I did, in fact, lose some weight initially, but it was a modest amount, and continued use of the medication didn't lead to any more weight loss. The hair loss was insidious; I hadn't realized it was happening until my bathroom sink kept getting clogged up, and my hair stylist made a comment that it was suddenly much thinner. In having read about the medication, many other younger women with PCOS have had hair loss while taking it, but men and post-menopausal women have not, so I'm thinking it impacts our bodies differently. It apparently used to be listed as a side effect, but isn't currently since the majority who take it do not have hair loss.

I'd love any tips or advice from other ladies who've dealt with hair loss.

To add: I've had blood work done routinely, and have no deficiencies that would explain the hair loss. I unfortunately cannot take Biotin, even though it's been a help to many other women with hair loss, because it causes massive acne breakouts. My dermatologist told me to avoid it.

Edited by Clementine Sky

Purchase a human hair lace wig. Have it customized by a stylist, cut to frame your face, and the hairline plucked. I wear wigs and you can't tell.

I would double check your iron/ferritin level. What is considered to be an adequate level can still result in Hair loss.

Here's an article to check out: And I quoted the applicable part.

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/news/20060516/hair-loss-may-be-iron-deficiency#1

Cotsarelis and Trost say that what most doctors consider to be a normal ferritin level is, in fact, too low. Ferritin levels of 10-15 ng/mL are within the "normal" range. Cotsarelis says a ferritin level of at least 50 ng/mL is needed to help replenish hair. Trost and Bergfeld shoot for 70 ng/mL.

All you have to do is call your doctor to ask what the result was last time. Nothing new needs to be done at the moment.

Clementine, you are correct, those topical products do not work. I've tried them all over the course of 4 years. I have hormonal Hair loss. I've been diagnosed Estrogen Dominance. I probably have been for years, but not until I went through menopause did it rear it's ugly head in a huge fashion. Among a host of very unpleasant side effects, hair loss is one of those. I've probably lost 1/2 my hair in the 4 years. Hence trying anything I can. I have not tried the rogaine type products because those are for life and I think hair falls out if you stop using it. Not sure on this last one, but added anything like that to my messed up body was not for me. I use thickening shampoos (haha) and products for lift. Nothing really works.As you've discovered. What does work: I use a dry Shampoo with my color (Batiste colors) to give a lift and to "color" my scalp more or less. Just a bit here and there. Also, for those big part lines, I use Eclipse Hair Fibers in a color close to my natural. Not dark or lighter. They also sell this spray to "keep them in place". You don't need it. I've used Eclipse Hair Fibers for years and my hairdresser has recommended to her ladies that are thinning because she's very pleased with how it covers and looks. You can get at beauty supply store. I just get mine online at Amazon. Sorry you are going through that. Female hair loss really sucks. Good luck to you on all measures.

11 hours ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

Purchase a human hair lace wig. Have it customized by a stylist, cut to frame your face, and the hairline plucked. I wear wigs and you can't tell.

I'm going to ask my hairdresser about this. Since I've already lost half my hair...I cannot imagine losing more and since I probably WILL, I feel I will need a wig. Thank you for this suggestion.

((hugs)) To each of you who battle this! I've got some (what I think) is familial balding in one spot close to my forehead. So far my "comb-over" covers it enough...but something has been making my hair fall out in droves. I'm sure it's diet related or thyroid related. So...who know what the future will hold with it. I also like the idea of clips of supplemental hair and love the hair Fiber idea!! @BunnyJean thanks for the ideas about products!

I also think a really good cut and style can sometimes help.

PCOS causes Hair loss, not Metformin. It's from the imbalance of hormones, and having an elevated testosterone. I took Spironolactone to help with it before my surgery, but that's not safe to take if you're trying to conceive. My doctor recommended using extra-strength Rogaine, too. I'm not sure about the safety of it - you'll have to read the package.

My surgeon took me off all PCOS meds after my bypass, and even though the PCOS is under control now through diet, I lost even more hair after my surgery. I'm hoping it stops falling out and starts growing back soon. It's getting pretty thin up there! I don't have any other suggestions. Coloring my hair helped it look a little thicker, but not much.

Best of luck!

15 hours ago, Berry78 said:

I would double check your iron/ferritin level. What is considered to be an adequate level can still result in hair loss.

Here's an article to check out: And I quoted the applicable part.

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/news/20060516/hair-loss-may-be-iron-deficiency#1

All you have to do is call your doctor to ask what the result was last time. Nothing new needs to be done at the moment.

This is why my hair shed so bad, my Iron got way too low. I have been taking a massive amount of iron twice daily for months and my hair is filing back in.

Still it is going to take years for all the new hair to get as long as the rest. So wigs are the solution for now, plus wigs are fun!

6 hours ago, jhope71 said:

PCOS causes hair loss, not Metformin. It's from the imbalance of hormones, and having an elevated testosterone. I took Spironolactone to help with it before my surgery, but that's not safe to take if you're trying to conceive. My doctor recommended using extra-strength Rogaine, too. I'm not sure about the safety of it - you'll have to read the package.

My surgeon took me off all PCOS meds after my bypass, and even though the PCOS is under control now through diet, I lost even more hair after my surgery. I'm hoping it stops falling out and starts growing back soon. It's getting pretty thin up there! I don't have any other suggestions. Coloring my hair helped it look a little thicker, but not much.

Best of luck!

Hair loss used to be listed as a side effect for Metformin, but no longer is due to it not being reported as frequently. It impacts younger premenopausal women differently than it does those in the primary demographics for taking the medicine for diabetes. Also, I am a believer in not assuming that correlation equals causation, but in this case the timeline of it matches perfectly. The hair loss began to abate when I lowered the dose of Metformin. Similarly, for years endocrinologists have asserted that spiro cannot cause weight gain, but the mayo Clinic now lists it as a side effect as well. If you Google Metformin and hair loss you'll find posts about it dating back more than a decade from many women, including those who were not taking it for PCOS. I do understand that PCOS itself can cause hair loss, but I've had this since I was a teen and not dealt with it except for when using specific medications or products.

I'd hoped that losing weight and devoutly following dietary guidelines would get PCOS under control, but I am still experiencing unpleasant issues with it. I'm happy for you that yours is under control now.

I will try Rogaine. :)

8 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

((hugs)) To each of you who battle this! I've got some (what I think) is familial balding in one spot close to my forehead. So far my "comb-over" covers it enough...but something has been making my hair fall out in droves. I'm sure it's diet related or thyroid related. So...who know what the future will hold with it. I also like the idea of clips of supplemental hair and love the hair fiber idea!! @BunnyJean thanks for the ideas about products!

I also think a really good cut and style can sometimes help.

(((Hugs))) to you and to everyone else who has been helpful in this thread. I appreciate it.