Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is off limits after post-op diet

No carbonated beverages or beer for quite some time ... maybe 15 months or longer.

14 hours ago, blizair09 said:

At one year post-op, I have cut out Pasta, rice, and carbonation. I will probably never have any of those things. I still follow a Keto way of eating; therefore, I keep my carbs below 25 grams per day. So, I have little to no sugar. That is my choice, not my body's demands or anything.

As far as alcohol goes, I have some sort of alcohol (usually vodka, Water and Crystal Light Lemonade powder that I take to the bar with me) just about every weekend, and when I travel for work (60%-70% of the time), I often have a glass or two of red wine with dinner. I have found that my tolerance is now back to about where it was before the surgery. I have absolutely no issue with the alcohol whatsoever. Like @OutsideMatchInsidesaid, I just allow for the calories on days that I am going to have drinks. (Though, to be honest, I need to get my calories up some to make the weight loss stop, so I haven't been as much of a stickler about it lately.)

I haven't tried beer, mostly because of the carbonation issue. And as much as I miss it, and I do, I've adjusted to drinking other things.

For the record, I first had alcohol at three months post-op, and there has never been an issue. I've lost 217 pounds (from almost 400 pounds), and am happily at goal (180 pounds).

YMMV.

First off,, Congratulations on your amazing numbers I can't imagine the pride you must feel.. I can see myself doing much of the same things you are doing. Have you found any good books about the keto diet? I would like to learn as much as I possibly can before I have to start eating solid foods again.

TIA - Bear

1 hour ago, Bary said:

First off,, Congratulations on your amazing numbers I can't imagine the pride you must feel.. I can see myself doing much of the same things you are doing. Have you found any good books about the Keto diet? I would like to learn as much as I possibly can before I have to start eating solid foods again.

TIA - Bear

Yes, me too- Id love to find Keto books and how they relate to a WLS Post-Op eating plan but apparently there are none. Considering the success of @blizair09 and the many others here that follow this type of eating philosophy, I will be following them and learning and soaking it all in. I am really enjoying this website and all of the knowledge here, it definitely makes me feel more secure that I wont totally blow it when I start eating solid foods again!

On 9/29/2017 at 9:56 AM, Bary said:

I am 17 days from my Gastric sleeve procedure and I am trying a little mental prep work, after the pre/post-op dieting is behind me, what can I never have again or what should I avoid? I complete understand that I need to steer clear of the " bad stuff" like pop, sugar, carbs and stuff like that, but can I drink beer and eat a big 4oz. steak when I am a skinny little guy again?

Hi Bary!

I have not read any of the responses yet, but thought I'd chime in. Sorry if what I say has already been said. I am one year post op and I, too had wondered if I would be able to enjoy certain things much later on. I am 100 percent healed now so I think I can answer this as someone who has tried a bit of everything (within reason!) post op.

I was never, and still am not someone big on carbonated drinks. However, I have attended to sip off of my husbands on rare occasions, and also I recently order a beer. It took me an hour to drink half. The reason is that the carbonation fill the small pouch super fast. It's rather uncomfortable. I'm not really into beer but it was a rare occasion and I was just having a bit of an experiment. Carbonation is not recommended post surgery, and I can say that it does not feel very good. Also, the calories and carbs in beer are not the healthiest things. It's honestly best to avoid carbonation. From what hear from many previous soda and carbonation regulars, the cravings dissipate post surgery. You just get used to not having it.

As far as the "big ol' 4oz steak" (I had to laugh because only those of us familiar with the limits post surgery really get the 4oz limit...and its true!), I have eaten steak but it needs to be very tender. So the good news is this: Yes, steak is Ok but you will be enjoying quality over quantity. These days when I have steak I have about 3 oz of really tender cuts. You have to kind of experiment with the cuts that go down well of you. Let me interject that you won't even be able to think about steak until you're cleared for solids.

One year post surgery I am pretty well tuned to what feels good or bad in my tummy. I can eat chicken everyday, and I love it, even more than pre surgery. I can also eat fish which I love. Ground beef & ground turkey does not sit well with me for whatever reason, even today. Man, I used to LOVE a good burger. I still imagine the taste and satisfaction of burgers, but I simply cannot tolerate ground beef, more than a bit or two.

You will discover what works and doesn't work, everyone seems to be different. Aim for making the healthiest choices (easy to tolerate soft dense protein), and then know that one you hit your goal, you can bring back some of the good carbs, and life seems normal, albeit much healthier!

Best of luck in your journey!

So appreciate all the feedback from those who have already travelled the path. It is inspiring and comforting to hear all your advice and feedback and I look forward to one day being able to share the same sort of insights. This is a lifelong journey and I can wait to start.

At one year post-op, I have cut out Pasta, rice, and carbonation. I will probably never have any of those things. I still follow a Keto way of eating; therefore, I keep my carbs below 25 grams per day. So, I have little to no sugar. That is my choice, not my body's demands or anything.
As far as alcohol goes, I have some sort of alcohol (usually vodka, Water and Crystal Light Lemonade powder that I take to the bar with me) just about every weekend, and when I travel for work (60%-70% of the time), I often have a glass or two of red wine with dinner. I have found that my tolerance is now back to about where it was before the surgery. I have absolutely no issue with the alcohol whatsoever. Like [mention=255228]OutsideMatchInside[/mention]said, I just allow for the calories on days that I am going to have drinks. (Though, to be honest, I need to get my calories up some to make the weight loss stop, so I haven't been as much of a stickler about it lately.)
I haven't tried beer, mostly because of the carbonation issue. And as much as I miss it, and I do, I've adjusted to drinking other things.
For the record, I first had alcohol at three months post-op, and there has never been an issue. I've lost 217 pounds (from almost 400 pounds), and am happily at goal (180 pounds).
YMMV.

Im so happy to read this, you have no idea! Lol