Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is off limits after post-op diet

Well, I can say that I totally got you, Bary. I was told before my WLS by my Surgeon and my Nutritionist that there are no "FORBIDDEN FOODS"! With that being said it does not mean we can go HOG WILD either. I basically eat what I want within reason of course. I am 4 years out and have maintained my weight for 3.5 years. I have NOT had beer or pop. I just recently can eat 1 slice of DAVE's KILLER bread which has tons of good stuff in it. But it has taken me a long time to even eat that. As for meat, I have to be real careful. I love me some steak but every time I try it I get sick to my tummy. It feels like it is stuck no matter how much I chew it. I can not eat rice to well, or noodles, or spaghetti. And by the time I am done with my Protein first I usually don't have room for veggies. Once and awhile I have a all veggie dinner. With all of the fresh stuff it has been so worth it. I am not telling you to do as I do just a few suggestions. Oh by the way, I have had some wine a few times and like they say it hits you fast and hard. But it went away real fast too. We all have to live and make our own choices. I look forward to following your journey. Good luck!!!!

Bary....I am about to confirm my surgery for 10/28...We will be surgery buddies. Please feel free to reach out for support and I will as well. We are going to do great!!! A healthier world is coming. WHOO HOO!

Berry!! Did you just say no beer for a YEAR! What else am I going have for Breakfast now? Damn it!! guess it will be those egg things I hear all the kids talking about..

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I was told that alcohol would be two or three times more potent than it was pre-op, and as I couldn't really handle more than one drink then, I'm sure I better just steer clear of it entirely--no big loss for me.

I don't think there are any things we can't ever have, but judgment has to play a big part of this. I know I'm better off avoiding carbs such as bread, rice, potatoes, so I'm going to try to do that. Steak, on the other hand--steak is definitely in the plans down the road!

I am 2 months out and have found that food or beer, which was a big part of my life, do not interest me so far. I do plan on drinking a glass of wine in a few months but it won't be daily for sure. In general, food makes me full quickly so I don't get the same pleasure from it. I hope that comes back. I do find myself saying "I don't eat that" alot. I have found that all the things that made me fat in the first place have been easy to give up. I don't plan on them returning to my life. I have lost 50 lbs since pre-op diet and never want it back so I will do what it takes, even though chips and dip and beer won't be with me. Good luck to all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

I LOVE steak and pray my tummy will be strong enough to process it well. I've heard many sleeved patients cannot digest steak well. I love Steak-Out and Texas Roadhouse. I'm not a big drinker but occasionally I like to have wine so it's a great question. I think the best goal is to think each meal needs to be 75% Protein. The remaining 25% should be low carb, low fat. I'd avoid gum, sugars, and carbonated drinks. Not to say that I'll never have an onion ring or pizza but it's making these goals every meal and sticking as close a possible to them.

Sent from my LGLS992 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm 3 months post op. I eat steak at least once a week. Can't get a 4oz steak down yet. And because I know 4 bites fill me up I just chew slow and savor every bite. Plus if I'm grilling at home I buy the best cut of steak I can get because that one steak will be four meals. Now on the beer I tried one and it only took 1/2 beer was like 8 beers before. So one the up side you can have beer and steak just takes a lot lease of it. Just think of how much money you can save for all the new clothes you will need. I'm down 74 lbs and I was sleeved 6/22/17. For the first time in my life I don't feel hungry. I'm listening to my body. If 4 bites fills me up I just stop wrap up the leftovers for later. Something about know I can eat that anytime I want has helped with the mental part I think. And usually I wait about 2 hours and I eat some more of it. I eat 6 times a day. It's merely a snack to normal people but with a tiny stomach I'm not chancing stretching it out. So far it's working great for me. The mental part is the worst. Once you realize you can still eat just gotta listen to your body. And I've over eaten a couple times. Trust me my body was telling me about it. It was like a scene from the exorcist. I hate to puke so when the stomach says enough is enough I listen. Well I hope I didn't ramble too much. Short answer I'd say after your stomach heals,and the doc says you can have solid food build up to steak. Start out with fish and chicken. The beer is more of a treat I'd say. There is a reason they call it a beer belly. Just remember when you do drink beer you will get drunk very easy. Best have a driver. Good luck on your surgery. Best decision I ever made.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using BariatricPal mobile app

2 months out and I find that there is nothing my new and improved tummy can't handle. Once I tried a couple ounces of beer, it was fine I just didn't want any more. For me an absolute forbidden food is chips, its a slider that I have very little control over, its just easier banning it from the house. Fortunately I have yet to meet an animal Protein or veg that my tummy does not agree with.

On 29/09/2017 at 4:56 PM, Bary said:

I am 17 days from my Gastric sleeve procedure and I am trying a little mental prep work, after the pre/post-op dieting is behind me, what can I never have again or what should I avoid? I complete understand that I need to steer clear of the " bad stuff" like pop, sugar, carbs and stuff like that, but can I drink beer and eat a big 4oz. steak when I am a skinny little guy again?

I think everyones 'never again' really vairies from person to person , surgeon to surgeon. I was not really told a never again, but many things i prefer to stay away from

On 29/09/2017 at 7:49 PM, FluffyChix said:

I love your exuberance about your coming WLS. Wish I didn't have so long to wait for mine!

But I just have a question cuz we're all SO very different! No judgement here, just curiosity. I'm using this time while I wait for surgery to research all the things. All. The. Things. Trying to figure out and get my head in the game so I don't act like the movie Groundhog Day and repeat the weight gain after surgery. I do not want to ever have to lose weight a second time. So from the things I used to eat that are now sitting strapped to my ass (and have been for about 47 years), to the knowledge that once a food junkie always a food junkie...I know I have to stay away from certain things. One of those things would be beer (other than a once in a blue moon thing, or maybe only a pull off someone's bottle of beer).

Why would you work so hard, go through so much pain, money and endure so much upheaval, just to look forward to going back to eating and drinking the same stuff that got you to the dance in the first place? I've no problem with the idea of eating 4oz of a steak in the future. I don't believe that's what made you or I fluffy. But the beer? Um, yeah...not to mention that even after 6mos to a year, alcohol is really pretty hard on the liver. The surgery isn't magic. Things that made you fat before will still make you fat for future you once you start ingesting them again. You will be able to figure out how to eat around your restriction...

In my unsolicited pre-surg opinion, it seems to me, that a really good activity would be to look at the things that contributed to your present health situation. Catalogue them. Write them in red on your mirror so you read them every day--and often. Then steer your new anatomy and path so very far around those previous things that you cut a very wide berth from them!? Don't you agree?

I'm pretty sure you know that a 4oz of steak and big bowl of sauteed greens and garlic didn't make you husky. Right?

Sorry to offend you and not trying to kill your joy. Just seriously curious about what's going on in your mind right now as you process what's about to happen to you?

I think its all well and good to think you will never drink beer again and all the other things alot of people manage it, i had a simila opinion pre surgery but maybe 10 years down the line you may thnk heck one beer didnt make me fat either lol. its all about the balance i think for me i feel my mind frame is in a completely different space post surgery that what made me fat before if i had now, there is no temptation for me now to over indulge, taste buds change , feelings change etc. But i understand wanting to stay away from triggers, just for me i feel i have a. healthier relatioship with food , that a bite of something i used to have that made me fat does not drive me to have more than a bite as i am in a beter headspace. :) just my opinion but i understand your point of view.

On 29/09/2017 at 8:24 PM, Bary said:

I didn't thing this site was segregated and split into genders I am new on here, I can't even see a place to look for the men's forum, I am a little embarrassed I think all my questions I've asked are in the woman's forum, I will keep my questions to myself till I find the right forum... At any rate, I am very sorry to have offended you.. I sure didn't intend to strike a nerve or offend anyone with what was intended to be very innocent question.. I merely asked a question that was on my mind. I am not and I don't think any of us are taking this lightly in the slightest, We are all putting our lives in the hands of someone else. I was only looking for support and guidance, just wanted someone to say "don't eat fatty beef " or " I had to give up mustard because it upset my stomach.

Please please ask anything, you can 100% think hmm when will I be able to eat this again but still be taking this 100% serious so please ask!!! anything else you would like to know?i had these questions too similer but the stuff i was wondering when i can eat it again i dont want now post surgery and im free to eat it lol

support and guidance here!

i like lean beaf an was eating beef about hmm 6 weeks in? i love love it, i am sure you could eat fatty beef but i hate the texture and chewyness.

If I wanted to eat 4 ounces of beef, I would have to eat 2 ounces first, 6 min break then the other 2 ounces, and nothing with it , I do that sometimes as it keeps me full for hours

1 minute ago, dreamingsmall said:

I think its all well and good to think you will never drink beer again and all the other things alot of people manage it, i had a simila opinion pre surgery but maybe 10 years down the line you may thnk heck one beer didnt make me fat either lol. its all about the balance i think for me i feel my mind frame is in a completely different space post surgery that what made me fat before if i had now, there is no temptation for me now to over indulge, taste buds change , feelings change etc. But i understand wanting to stay away from triggers, just for me i feel i have a. healthier relatioship with food , that a bite of something i used to have that made me fat does not drive me to have more than a bite as i am in a beter headspace. :) just my opinion but i understand your point of view.

Great post and thank you for the added perspective. I'm so happy your surgery has really helped you reframe your relationship with food. And yay for better headspaces!!! Who doesn't love that?!

It's hard for me to imagine a time where I will feel like you do regarding food. My whole life has been about battling my relationship with food and trying to avoid the triggers that make me fall and resume old unhealthy habits and foods--and then of course, the inevitable re-gain.

One of my biggest fears is that I will "do good" after WLS, then get bored with being "good" and go back to my cheatin' ways and before long I will end up regaining. After WLS. Big gulp. *terrified* Cuz you know, then whadayado?

18 hours ago, apu said:

2 months out and I find that there is nothing my new and improved tummy can't handle. Once I tried a couple ounces of beer, it was fine I just didn't want any more. For me an absolute forbidden food is chips, its a slider that I have very little control over, its just easier banning it from the house. Fortunately I have yet to meet an animal Protein or veg that my tummy does not agree with.

Have you tried Protein chips? Very filling good for the crunch but not overly tasty you want to much of it.

If I have normal chips I measure out 1 ounce chips, half an ounce of cashew nuts. Then usually I eat some chips then some nuts, then I have half that portion left over because cashew nuts fill me up.

1 minute ago, FluffyChix said:

Great post and thank you for the added perspective. I'm so happy your surgery has really helped you reframe your relationship with food. And yay for better headspaces!!! Who doesn't love that?!

It's hard for me to imagine a time where I will feel like you do regarding food. My whole life has been about battling my relationship with food and trying to avoid the triggers that make me fall and resume old unhealthy habits and foods--and then of course, the inevitable re-gain.

One of my biggest fears is that I will "do good" after WLS, then get bored with being "good" and go back to my cheatin' ways and before long I will end up regaining. After WLS. Big gulp. *terrified* Cuz you know, then whadayado?

I was exactly the same as you, I am only 3 months in and did not expect to be a completely different human being than I was 3 months ago. I can only speak for myself in that I do not know about anyone elses journey, but for me . I have realised food is not everything. It was my everything. I was so greedy that I would eat past a stomach ache and keep going, I am short and got so fat I may aswell have rolled to get arond it felt like, but it did not stop me, I would read posts, people saying they do not even feel passionate about food anymore, they just eat it to nourish there body, and I was like, that sounds like rubbish I want to eat because it taste good, because I am bored, because I need something to do etc etc.

I can not speak for when I am further down the line because of course things change. But in all honesty, I do not crave anything right now, after the initial being able to eat any normal food, I tried one kfc chicken that was my trigger, I ate the skin and said what a waste of my time. Yes it taste okay but what really was the point of this? The junk food I depended on has know logic for me now, why am I eating it? to have a bite then feel bloated and gross? It makes no sense.

I cnt believe I am saying this because I thought all this surgery does is remove your hunger, but no, the way food feels in . your stomach you want to make sure what you are eating is worth it lol healthy for your body and not junk that will sit in your stomach like a sack of potatoes.

Who knows what the future will hold, no doubt things will need changing as I go but right now how I was originally of saying there is no way I paid all this money to eat abc every again in my existence, which many people manage to abide by. I know I won't be one of those people , ( I may not eat those things again but I mean I have the choice if I wanted to and have not banned my self if this makes sense? Banning myself from food, and restricting caused me issues in the past, now I may just not have them, I don't think about them, if I am offered I may say no. But if I said I am not allowed I will defy myself because I am stubborn lol.

Your fear is exactly my fear, so I check myself everyday. I dont know were I will be at 6 months, but when ever I feel like slipping i just remind myself were I want to be do not think to far ahead.

You fear you will first to good then get sick of doing good then do bad, that is a huge time scale say a year your a completely different person from now to then.

Focus on today and then tommorow trust yourself that today you will do the right thing, trust yourself that tommorow you will do the right thing, and continue like that. I cant say who I will be in 6 months so I can not say I trust I will be on the right track then but i am taking responsibility for today and tommorow which is less overwhelming :)

I hope this long thing makes any sense.

On 29/09/2017 at 9:06 PM, Bary said:

It's all good.. I am just super nervous about everything so I am trying to keep my head in the game from today till I am back in a Speedo (I've never been in a Speedo). I have 7 year old twins that are with me half the time, so I have to treat them from time to time without tempting me at the same. I am really concerned about the do nots.. If there is something a Doctor tells people they can NEVER have again,, I guess I am collecting tidbits from everyone's experience on here..

I have two kids myself, and I can be honest that I am rarely tempted to 'treat' myself. Now since having my surgery I do not 'treat' or reward with food, as I feel now its like treating a dog with a dog treat lol , I notice that I offer more healthier Snacks with a mix of not as healthy snacks but not said as "heres a treat" like I used to , i make home made pizza instead of ordering is so I can eat it too and its healthier cheaper taste just as good.

What sort of things do you like to treat them that may tempt you ? Can help with alternitives but really dont worry to much as after surgery you may not even fancy what your offering them :) Realy weldone for trying to be ontop of things but really what you will like or how you will feel about food cant be guessed :)