Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, what made you gain weight in the first place?

food of course is the likely answer but does it go any deeper for any of you?

When I was younger, I was kind of ignored, not neglected by any means, but it was easier for my parents to set me in front of the TV and give my chips, because that's what made me happy.

Unfortunately, I never grew out of this. I associated food with being happy and I stress/binged eat any time I got down. I never really learned moderation.

What about you guys?

A little of it was because food=love for me growing up, but the vast majority of my weight came from PCOS. But I still have a bit of an issue with wanting food as a reward. I saw a great quote the other day, though: "Do not reward yourself with food. You are not a dog!"

For me it was on my family was only not fighting when they were at the dinner table so basically the only time they weren't arguing was when they were eating and as result I created that quiet happiness , to eating.and just grew and grew from there. ALso my father of hoarded food especially sweets, used to keep them hidden in places all around the house where us kids couldn't get to them . and that was a big thing that made you always want the hidden treasure of food. That and I came From a large extended Italian family, and the good times were always getting together with family and it was always about tons of food. Separating food from happiness is a battle in itself.

1. Genetic predisposition...my maternal grandmother was 400+ pounds. My mother was obese. Many of the women on my maternal side of the family are fat.
  2. Poor food choices...I overate. My diet consisted of cheap processed food and fast food.
  3. Insulin resistance...it kept my body in perpetual fat storage mode and left me ravenously hungry. After eating a large quantity of food such as 2 footlong sub sandwiches, I'd still be hungry for more 90 minutes later.
  4. Childhood trauma...comfort food caused momentary soothing of uncomfortable feelings.

My family has issues with weight and weight related illnesses and early death because of it. I was a size 7 when I got married, 5 days later I was in a bad accident and that is when it all began. I had a lot of pain and stayed drugged up with pain meds for a long time, before I knew it I had gained 40+ lbs. Over the years I lost some and gained more. Poor food choices & lack of exercise have been my massive downfall. I considered WLS a few different times but backed out thinking I can fix this myself, I couldn't. Twenty years later and I'm still fighting my weight and decided enough was enough and this time I'm sticking with the program and going through with the surgery.

I was too young to remember...

Recovery from drug addiction... 5 kids, and a love for Carbs...

Hmmmm, carbs are love!?! At least that's what my parents thought!

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

When I was in my teens I wasn't fat but thought I was!! I weighed 125 to 135#'s but I wasn't like the other girls I wasn't tiny and petite. So even when I was thin I always felt out of control. My mom never had veggies, or potatoes. We lived on meat and gravy on bread. I never developed good eating habits. Then I met my hubby and got married when I was barely 17 and he moved me away from my mom, I couldn't wait to feel normal. I got prego but still, my weight gain wasn't bad. I started eating whatever I wanted, you see my hubby and I had one giant thing in common FOOD!!! He weighed 350#'s when e were married. Years passed I gained weight, pound on top of pound!! Had my 2nd child at 23 but I became a Diabetic on pills then shots. Losing weight wasn't a problem but I never learned how to keep it off. At one time I weighed 285#'s. My diabetes just kept on getting worse until I could not control it at all. We both have a little more in common now, food isn't our main focus!! We have 8 grandkids that fill our hearts to the brim with love!! We are closer now than ever. So I have a lot to be happy with. I had my WLS and I have been in maintenance for 3 and 1/2 years, hubby has lost 200#'s total. Life is AWESOME!!!

On 9/20/2017 at 9:37 AM, jhope71 said:

A little of it was because food=love for me growing up, but the vast majority of my weight came from PCOS. But I still have a bit of an issue with wanting food as a reward. I saw a great quote the other day, though: "Do not reward yourself with food. You are not a dog!"

On 9/20/2017 at 11:05 AM, Introversion said:
  1. Genetic predisposition...my maternal grandmother was 400+ pounds. My mother was obese. Many of the women on my maternal side of the family are fat.
  2. Poor food choices...I overate. My diet consisted of cheap processed food and fast food.
  3. Insulin resistance...it kept my body in perpetual fat storage mode and left me ravenously hungry. After eating a large quantity of food such as 2 footlong sub sandwiches, I'd still be hungry for more 90 minutes later.
  4. Childhood trauma...comfort food caused momentary soothing of uncomfortable feelings.
On 9/20/2017 at 0:05 PM, confusedturtle3 said:

My family has issues with weight and weight related illnesses and early death because of it. I was a size 7 when I got married, 5 days later I was in a bad accident and that is when it all began. I had a lot of pain and stayed drugged up with pain meds for a long time, before I knew it I had gained 40+ lbs. Over the years I lost some and gained more. Poor food choices & lack of exercise have been my massive downfall. I considered WLS a few different times but backed out thinking I can fix this myself, I couldn't. Twenty years later and I'm still fighting my weight and decided enough was enough and this time I'm sticking with the program and going through with the surgery.

On 9/20/2017 at 0:12 PM, Berry78 said:

I was too young to remember...

On 9/20/2017 at 0:16 PM, Hopep4673 said:

Recovery from drug addiction... 5 kids, and a love for Carbs...

On 9/20/2017 at 0:54 PM, celticNgel said:

Hmmmm, carbs are love!?! At least that's what my parents thought!

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

On 9/20/2017 at 5:30 PM, shedo82773 said:

When I was in my teens I wasn't fat but thought I was!! I weighed 125 to 135#'s but I wasn't like the other girls I wasn't tiny and petite. So even when I was thin I always felt out of control. My mom never had veggies, or potatoes. We lived on meat and gravy on bread. I never developed good eating habits. Then I met my hubby and got married when I was barely 17 and he moved me away from my mom, I couldn't wait to feel normal. I got prego but still, my weight gain wasn't bad. I started eating whatever I wanted, you see my hubby and I had one giant thing in common FOOD!!! He weighed 350#'s when e were married. Years passed I gained weight, pound on top of pound!! Had my 2nd child at 23 but I became a Diabetic on pills then shots. Losing weight wasn't a problem but I never learned how to keep it off. At one time I weighed 285#'s. My diabetes just kept on getting worse until I could not control it at all. We both have a little more in common now, food isn't our main focus!! We have 8 grandkids that fill our hearts to the brim with love!! We are closer now than ever. So I have a lot to be happy with. I had my WLS and I have been in maintenance for 3 and 1/2 years, hubby has lost 200#'s total. Life is AWESOME!!!

unreal. 8 responses to the MALE OP’s question. 7 from women.

here ladies, read this (if you are able to):

Edited by JohnnyCakes

4 minutes ago, JohnnyCakes said:

unreal. 8 responses to the MALE OP’s question. 7 from women.

Oops...I didn't notice the name of the forum prior to posting my previous response. Oh, well...we all live, die, and make errors along the way. That's the marvelous circle of life. :)

Since 80+ percent of the bariatric surgery population is female, the original poster wasn't going to attract many replies from males in the first place. Still, I admit my error for even replying.

14 minutes ago, Introversion said:

Oops...I didn't notice the name of the forum prior to posting my previous response. Oh, well...we all live, die, and make errors along the way. That's the marvelous circle of life. :)

Since 80+ percent of the bariatric surgery population is female, the original poster wasn't going to attract many replies from males in the first place. Still, I admit my error for even replying.

WRONG.

men don’t post much here anymore because women like you just can’t seem to comprehend the notion of subforums. thus ruining the comraderie we are seeking.

or you just can’t stop yammering. probably both.

go to the Women’s forum...... SEE NO MEN THERE.

28 minutes ago, JohnnyCakes said:

WRONG.

men don’t post much here anymore because women like you just can’t seem to comprehend the notion of subforums. thus ruining the comraderie we are seeking.

or you just can’t stop yammering. probably both.

go to the Women’s forum...... SEE NO MEN THERE.

Nope...I can comprehend the notion of subforums. I can also detect your thoroughly indignant annoyance regarding this issue.

My initial post in this thread was an honest mistake. Get over it and stop complaining. An internet forum is not really the hill upon which I plan to die, especially one that lines another person's pockets via advertising revenue and supplement sales.

You might be a man, but you're bitchin' like a petty old woman.

I saw the question in the "Recent Topics" sidebar and answered it. Please forgive me for contaminating your precious man-cave with my estrogen.

On 9/21/2017 at 11:34 PM, Introversion said:

Nope...I can comprehend the notion of subforums. I can also detect your thoroughly indignant annoyance regarding this issue.

My initial post in this thread was an honest mistake. Get over it and stop complaining. An internet forum is not really the hill upon which I plan to die, especially one that lines another person's pockets via advertising revenue and supplement sales.

You might be a man, but you're bitchin' like a petty old woman.

AMEN!!! I also didn't see that it is for men!! My BAD!!