Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting pregnant less than 12 mths after surgery

Is there anyone who got pregnant before the recommended 12-18 mths post op?

Due to my age, 36 this year i hope to start getting pregnant asap. I was sleeved on July 2017.

i have consulted my dr abt this and i will see him in January 2018 to see if my weight stabilizes.

I would like to check how is your experience in getting pregnant before 12 mths.

Thanks!

VSG on 25 July 2017

On 18/09/2017 at 9:58 AM, Nora S said:

Is there anyone who got pregnant before the recommended 12-18 mths post op?

Due to my age, 36 this year i hope to start getting pregnant asap. I was sleeved on July 2017.

i have consulted my dr abt this and i will see him in January 2018 to see if my weight stabilizes.

I would like to check how is your experience in getting pregnant before 12 mths.

Thanks!

VSG on 25 July 2017

Choosing to get pregnant, risking miscarriages, still borns, and premature births before the 12 month mark is irresponsible. It does not matter how anyones experience was the facts are there. I have two wonderful children, I am not judging you , I understand wanting a child, but if you did not think you would wait what your surgeon suggested you should not have done the surgery. An accident you have to work with the situation. But to actually consider trying, is shocking to me. I had a sleeve 4th July. If I had the sleeve and something happened to my pregnancy , when bad things can happen anyway , me actually increasing the risk, I could never forgive myself. Under 12 months your unlikely to meet your babys nutriontional needs who would choose this?

Even if my doctor okayed it, I would not do it , the research and rules are there for a reason. You are not superhuman that could some how avoid the risk of premature labour, miscariages etc. Just because you want a child.

I know you will respond rudely to me, but as a mother myself this post was shocking to me, and i find it selfish actually to even consider deliberatly getting pregnant before your supposed to just because some people have had healthy babies before this point the facts about the sad situations can not be forgotten, anecdotal evidence is enough for you to put a baby at risk? If me being straight up will save a baby being born prematurely then thats fine.

I will unsubscribe to this post, as I know this is not what you wanted to here.

Your 36, and ready to risk the life of a baby for the sake of you wanting a child asap. Perhaps motherhood is not for you right now. Use this year to prepare your self emotionally, motherhood demands a high level of selflessness. It is worth the wait, honestly. :) All the best.

Edited by dreamingsmall

Wow, your post is so judgemental on so many levels.
I know this is an open platform but hurling your negativity and judgement is just not forthcoming.

One thing you are wrong, I do not believe in responding rudely. I believe everyone is entitled to your opinions and I welcome you sharing your opinion and advice though it would have been more effective when communicated more nicely.

I understand that you are a mother and have your mother instincts but I believe because you are a mother, you shld also practise kindness towards another woman with woman issues and not jump with such strong judgements. Especially when that person is facing an issue that you may not understand but you choose to be critical anyway, based on your general reading and research but not on your expertise on the subject or expertise on my situation or medical backgrd.

I never said I will definitely be pregnant before 12 mths or when I meet my dr in January. And of cos I will listen to my dr or gynae on their advice but I would like to hear their expert opinion after reviewing my health in a few more mths as everyone is different.

Yes there are rules and research, and there are other people who were blessed with good pregnancies after being sleeved. I want to know how their experience was and I did not say that I will make my decision based on them.

You said you are not judging me but you proceeded to suggest that motherhood is not for me now. I'm sorry but you do not get to judge if I am prepared for motherhood based on one post that I made here. You only know that one tiny bit of information about me, and because you are a mother, you get to pass a comment that I am not fit to be a mother? And that being a mother requires a high level of selflessness, hence insinuating that I do not have that and to say that I am selfish?
All based on that one post, you have derived so much about me. Sorry, but can I ask, does being a mother make you so quick to judge a person and an expert on pregnancy to be so condemning on my post.

I know waiting to conceive or to have a child is worth a wait.. I am still waiting aren't I?

And you mentioned that you want to unsubscribe to this post? ...So you are willing to diss someone and pass quick judgements but you are not willing to read whats the response like because you assume it will be rude? Again, you have made another judgement and assume that I will respond rudely to you.

I know being a mother of 2 will prob take up most of your time and I should thank you for spending some time to reply on my post, which by the way, you made it sound like I am trying to kill the baby that I have yet conceived, or ever will conceive.

And after all that you had said so critically, you put a blushing smiley emoticon? Is that supposed to make it better and make it more friendly to me, because it left me confused.

By the way, if it did not come across in my words, I am still putting my tone down and saying all these words nicely.

If you are reading, then I hope the next time if anyone of similar situation as me, comes into your path, I hope and pray that person is treated with kindness, or at the very least, treated cordially, instead of being criticised and judged. You never know what that is going through like depression or whatsoever.

I just feel that whatever you wanted to say can be put across in a better way as how sharing posts should be in this platform as most people here are facing some kind of medical condition or unfavourable situationa. Even if you do not want to say it nicely or kindly, you can say it less authoritative.

Thank you.

VSG on 25 July 2017

Your 36, and ready to risk the life of a baby for the sake of you wanting a child asap. Perhaps motherhood is not for you right now. Use this year to prepare your self emotionally, motherhood demands a high level of selflessness. It is worth the wait, honestly. [emoji4] All the best.

I know this is an open platform but hurling your negativity and judgement is just not forthcoming.

One thing you are wrong, I do not believe in responding rudely. I believe everyone is entitled to your opinions and I welcome you sharing your opinion and advice though it would have been more effective when communicated more nicely.

I understand that you are a mother and have your mother instincts but I believe because you are a mother, you shld also practise kindness towards another woman with woman issues and not jump with such strong judgements. Especially when that person is facing an issue that you may not understand but you choose to be critical anyway, based on your general reading and research but not on your expertise on the subject or expertise on my situation or medical backgrd.

I never said I will definitely be pregnant before 12 mths or when I meet my dr in January. And of cos I will listen to my dr or gynae on their advice but I would like to hear their expert opinion after reviewing my health in a few more mths as everyone is different.

Yes there are rules and research, and there are other people who were blessed with good pregnancies after being sleeved. I want to know how their experience was and I did not say that I will make my decision based on them.

You said you are not judging me but you proceeded to suggest that motherhood is not for me now. I'm sorry but you do not get to judge if I am prepared for motherhood based on one post that I made here. You only know that one tiny bit of information about me, and because you are a mother, you get to pass a comment that I am not fit to be a mother? And that being a mother requires a high level of selflessness, hence insinuating that I do not have that and to say that I am selfish?
All based on that one post, you have derived so much about me. Sorry, but can I ask, does being a mother make you so quick to judge a person and an expert on pregnancy to be so condemning on my post.

I know waiting to conceive or to have a child is worth a wait.. I am still waiting aren't I?

And you mentioned that you want to unsubscribe to this post? ...So you are willing to diss someone and pass quick judgements but you are not willing to read whats the response like because you assume it will be rude? Again, you have made another judgement and assume that I will respond rudely to you.

I know being a mother of 2 will prob take up most of your time and I should thank you for spending some time to reply on my post, which by the way, you made it sound like I am trying to kill the baby that I have yet conceived, or ever will conceive.

And after all that you had said so critically, you put a blushing smiley emoticon? Is that supposed to make it better and make it more friendly to me, because it left me confused.

By the way, if it did not come across in my words, I am still putting my tone down and saying all these words nicely.

If you are reading, then I hope the next time if anyone of similar situation as me, comes into your path, I hope and pray that person is treated with kindness, or at the very least, treated cordially, instead of being criticised and judged. You never know what that is going through like depression or whatsoever.

I just feel that whatever you wanted to say can be put across in a better way as how sharing posts should be in this platform as most people here are facing some kind of medical condition or unfavourable situationa. Even if you do not want to say it nicely or kindly, you can say it less authoritative.

Thank you.

VSG on 25 July 2017

VSG on 25 July 2017

@Nora S So sorry the response from the other poster was inexcusable. I fail to understand how people can just presume to know anything about another poster's medical circumstances. It is audacious for someone that has children already to want to deny with such venom another that is seeking to have a child.

You seem to be informed and cautious and I wish you all the good fortune you can get by having this surgery.

11 minutes ago, Sosewsue61 said:

@Nora S So sorry the response from the other poster was inexcusable. I fail to understand how people can just presume to know anything about another poster's medical circumstances. It is audacious for someone that has children already to want to deny with such venom another that is seeking to have a child.

You seem to be informed and cautious and I wish you all the good fortune you can get by having this surgery.

Lol, telling someone to wait 12 months like they are advised for safety reasons, so they can reduce the risk of a misscariage and premature labour, which I have seen, is denying them from ever having a child lol Asif I told them never to conceive lol so dramatic. I stand by everything i said. Her medical circumstance is not relevant, the rule for sleeve patients are the same. Its pretty simple. . The reason I mentioned, I was a mother is I could not imagine risking such a thing, but if you think its a good idea, hey . Get to it then. What I said is facts.Ignore everything I said, I have no reason to say wait, lol am I the one carrying the baby? lol Have the baby now then, but if the baby ends up on the special care unit being born early, when it could have been a case of reducing that risk, thats not upto me.( And no I am not wishing this on anyone before you get dramatic . I wish the op a healthy pregnancy, which is why waiting will e better.

My tone is serious because this is serious. End of. I have not even read the other response as I know it will be all " You dont know my medical history" The risks associated with pregnancies before the 12 month mark do not care about your medical history lol. Bye.

But cool, I should encourage someone having a baby irresponsibly , go ahead you had a sleeve a few months ago , get pregnant now ,babies are fun. I could have said that, but actually i value every baby and every life, including the op going ham about my response up there.

I am not arguing back and fourth which is why I was not going to come back. Take what I said or leave it .

All the best.

Edited by dreamingsmall

36 is not so very old. A year won't make a significant difference to your ova.

You want to get through the year of rapid weight loss because:

1. You don't want to be actively losing weight during the pregnancy.. it might hinder the baby's ability to get enough nurishment.

2. If you stop losing weight, then the surgery was for nothing. Your new set point will be messed up and you won't make goal.

3. While you are losing weight, there is "hormone dumping" happening, and you don't want to expose the baby to all those excess hormones.

4. An enlarged uterus creates a high pressure environment in the abdomen. Excess fat creates a high pressure environment. The sleeve is a high pressure procedure. The potential for debilitating GERD is astronomical. Lose your excess fat weight, and at least that's one less thing to cause heartburn.

I could come up with more, but I think you get the gist.

[mention=323097]Nora S[/mention] So sorry the response from the other poster was inexcusable. I fail to understand how people can just presume to know anything about another poster's medical circumstances. It is audacious for someone that has children already to want to deny with such venom another that is seeking to have a child.

Thank you.

@sosewsue61 Thank you for your message and appreciate that you spoke up and replied. Hope you are well too in this journey.

Again, based on the earlier response to your post, it shows how wrong assumptions are still made and obviously the objectives of my lengthy post was totally not understood.

Some people are too quick to judge and too quick with their speeches that they do not stop to consider what was being said and what to say.

No one is suggesting the OP go out and get knocked up in 4 months or 6 months, or 9 months. She stated she would take the advice of physicians.

36 is old for a primapara, just because the news is filled with women delaying childbirth until 40 even does not mean it is ideal for conception. Miscarriage risk is 20-35% in this age bracket w/o adding wls into the equation. When she is cleared it can take 1-2 years and this puts her at 38, so her anxiousness is understanadable. I didn't say it should be encouraged to just get pregnant willy-nilly.

You know no one wants a bad outcome.

And look into supplements to improve egg quality while you are losing weight - melatonin, extra folic acid, etc - ask your obgyn about doing that now.

And again good luck.

No one is suggesting the OP go out and get knocked up in 4 months or 6 months, or 9 months. She stated she would take the advice of physicians.

36 is old for a primapara, just because the news is filled with women delaying childbirth until 40 even does not mean it is ideal for conception. Miscarriage risk is 20-35% in this age bracket w/o adding wls into the equation. When she is cleared it can take 1-2 years and this puts her at 38, so her anxiousness is understanadable. I didn't say it should be encouraged to just get pregnant willy-nilly.

And look into supplements to improve egg quality while you are losing weight - melatonin, extra folic acid, etc - ask your obgyn about doing that now.

And again good luck.

(And please consider breastfeeding - there is my two cents - retired LLL leader. Mother of five (one in heaven), grandmother of 10 (one in heaven).)

I would not recommend getting pregnant in the next 18 months. My doctor was adamant on it and wanted to know what I was doing to prevent pregnancy when he noticed I was not on any form of birth control (I have my tubes tied). While it is true that it can take a year or more to actually get pregnant, it can also take far less time especially after weight loss. Even for me it was a stark difference, my son took 2.5 years to conceive and use of fertility meds. My daughter took literally 2 cycles with no assistance.

So here is my suggestion since your age is a concern. Talk to you GYN about having your eggs tested. They can tell you how healthy your eggs are to support a pregnancy. That being said, if it's a time is of the essence issue in regards to your egg maturity, look into having some of your eggs frozen and having those as a back up if you have issues in a couple years when it's safer to start trying. I've had 2 miscarriages, it's an awful thing to live through, you don't want to increase that risk by having a pregnancy to soon after wls.

Following! It took us 4yrs to have my son and he just turned 1. I'd like to have the surgery in the next 3-4 months so I can hopefully wait the 12-18 months before trying for #2. Who knows how long it'll take!

36 is not so very old. A year won't make a significant difference to your ova.
You want to get through the year of rapid weight loss because:
1. You don't want to be actively losing weight during the pregnancy.. it might hinder the baby's ability to get enough nurishment.
2. If you stop losing weight, then the surgery was for nothing. Your new set point will be messed up and you won't make goal.
3. While you are losing weight, there is "hormone dumping" happening, and you don't want to expose the baby to all those excess hormones.
4. An enlarged uterus creates a high pressure environment in the abdomen. Excess fat creates a high pressure environment. The sleeve is a high pressure procedure. The potential for debilitating GERD is astronomical. Lose your excess fat weight, and at least that's one less thing to cause heartburn.
I could come up with more, but I think you get the gist.

Thanks for your objective list and bringing up a few points that I will learn more.

I am aware of Point 1 and 2 but Point 3 and 4 will be something that I will look into and talk more with my dr. So far I have not had GERD or heart burn issues but I understand that I am still early in my new journey and may still face it in the future.

Thanks for the gist.

1 hour ago, Sosewsue61 said:

And again good luck.

Take a deep breath. We are on the same page. I did not want to be specific with those figures. But I agree with all that those risks are higher anyway. Under 12 month post vsg and 30+ imagine the risk? She said she wants to get pregnant asap which is the only thing I discouraged against. Not getting pregnant fulstop. Your out there stating facts just like I did. Proving no matter the medical history risks are risks across the board.

I had my kids at 20 so you don't need to educate me on the risk of being an older mum . I took all that into consideration when I planned my pregnancies.

I have no reason to not want others to experience the joy of a baby. But I also have seen the tears of early sleevers pregnancies going wrong. I said what I said because when your desperate for a child. Sometimes logic doesn't always seem clear. "I'll be fine because I know someone else who did it and they are okay "