Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting pregnant less than 12 mths after surgery

No one is suggesting the OP go out and get knocked up in 4 months or 6 months, or 9 months. She stated she would take the advice of physicians.
36 is old for a primapara, just because the news is filled with women delaying childbirth until 40 even does not mean it is ideal for conception. Miscarriage risk is 20-35% in this age bracket w/o adding wls into the equation. When she is cleared it can take 1-2 years and this puts her at 38, so her anxiousness is understanadable. I didn't say it should be encouraged to just get pregnant willy-nilly.
You know no one wants a bad outcome.
And look into supplements to improve egg quality while you are losing weight - melatonin, extra folic acid, etc - ask your obgyn about doing that now.
And again good luck.
(And please consider breastfeeding - there is my two cents - retired LLL leader. Mother of five (one in heaven), grandmother of 10 (one in heaven).)

Again, thanks so much for understanding where I am coming from. I didnt state that I was going to get pregnant in 4 mths or 6 mths or 9 mths and do not know why I am being jumped at. I do not know whatever gave the idea that I take pregnancy and having children so lightly.

Some people have shared several things, and with some sharing reasons (objectively) why getting pregnant early is not a good decision.

At least me and other readers understand more now.

And yes one of your points is correct about one of my many concerns. if I wait 18 mths I will be 38 and after I told my sleeve dr on my past fertility issues, he understood my concerns and he was concerned too. we agreed that we will relook at the situation in several more mths. Neither he nor me agreed that it was ok for me to get pregnant (Just to be clear in case some people assume I am trying to get knocked up as soon as possible)

I have had a couple of fertility procedures that failed in the past 8 years hence time is ticking a bit fast for me as I know I am not the most of the fertile.

Anyway, good tip about the supplements for egg quality etc and if I do get pregnant and give birth one day, I hope to breastfeed too.

PS: So sorry to hear about your child and grandchild. Hugsss..

1 minute ago, Nora S said:

Again, thanks so much for understanding where I am coming from. I didnt state that I was going to get pregnant in 4 mths or 6 mths or 9 mths and do not know why I am being jumped at. I do not know whatever gave the idea that I take pregnancy and having children so lightly.

Some people have shared several things, and with some sharing reasons (objectively) why getting pregnant early is not a good decision.

And yes one of your points is correct about one of my many concerns. if I wait 18 mths I will be 38 and after I told my sleeve dr on my past fertility issues, he understood my concerns and he was concerned too. we agreed that we will relook at the situation in several more mths. Neither he nor me agreed that it was ok for me to get pregnant (Just to be clear in case some people assume I am trying to get knocked up as soon as possible)

I have had a couple of fertility procedures that failed in the past 8 years hence time is ticking a bit fast for me as I know I am not the most of the fertile.

Anyway, good tip about the supplements for egg quality etc and if I do get pregnant and give birth one day, I hope to breastfeed too.

I'm so sorry about the failed fertility issies. I've been through 2 rounds of ivf myself.

I would not recommend getting pregnant in the next 18 months. My doctor was adamant on it and wanted to know what I was doing to prevent pregnancy when he noticed I was not on any form of birth control (I have my tubes tied). While it is true that it can take a year or more to actually get pregnant, it can also take far less time especially after weight loss. Even for me it was a stark difference, my son took 2.5 years to conceive and use of fertility meds. My daughter took literally 2 cycles with no assistance.
So here is my suggestion since your age is a concern. Talk to you GYN about having your eggs tested. They can tell you how healthy your eggs are to support a pregnancy. That being said, if it's a time is of the essence issue in regards to your egg maturity, look into having some of your eggs frozen and having those as a back up if you have issues in a couple years when it's safer to start trying. I've had 2 miscarriages, it's an awful thing to live through, you don't want to increase that risk by having a pregnancy to soon after wls.

I think you made a great suggestion with getting the eggs tested and getting it frozen!
Will check that information with my gynae!

Sorry to hear abt the 2 miscarriages and I can only imagine how awful it is. my sister in law had 2 miscarriage too and a friend of mine had 3 with the last one being pregnant with triplets. Im sure what I see them go thru is just a fraction of what they are feeling.

May I check if your miscarriage was before or after your wls (assuming you had wls) and if the miscarriage was because pregnancy too early after ur wls?

Following! It took us 4yrs to have my son and he just turned 1. I'd like to have the surgery in the next 3-4 months so I can hopefully wait the 12-18 months before trying for #2. Who knows how long it'll take!

I'm married for 8 years and had a couple of unsuccessful fertility procedures. Tell me about it, how long it'll take.. or if it ever will. :)

Good luck for your soon-to-be surgery

25 minutes ago, Nora S said:

"in case some people assume I am trying to get knocked up as soon as possible" you literally said . 'asap'(as soon as possible) "i hope to start getting pregnant asap." "in your original post.:D.. it was not assumed. If that is no longer the case then good,but that is what you said.

Edited by dreamingsmall

I'm so sorry about the failed fertility issies. I've been through 2 rounds of ivf myself.

Thanks. :)

i had several tests done over the course of 5-6 years. Had 2 failed IUI and I finally decided to sign up for IVF after much much consideration, only to be told be rejected as I do not meet a requirement.

After so much of mental and emotional consideration to choose IVF, i had to take a huge step back. Now i just gotta wait when the time is right.

Anyway, I hope after wls, I can conceive naturally (or not), as fertility procedures are a very long process where I am located. At least 1 to 1.5 years wait for IVF.

"in case some people assume I am trying to get knocked up as soon as possible" you literally said . 'asap'(as soon as possible) "i hope to start getting pregnant asap." "in your original post.[emoji3].. it was not assumed. If that is no longer the case then good,but that is what you said.

ASAP means " as soon as POSSIBLE". In my first post I said asap meaning as soon as it was deemed to be POSSIBLE by my dr and gynae and not literally immediately this very minute to get pregnant irresponsibly.

I did say I was going to meet my dr for his evaluation of my weight loss. Meaning pregnancy is still being discussed and not a clearance for me to get pregnant.

However, after reading a couple of your responses, I guess you comprehended my "asap" as literally this very day to conceive.

Hence my sentence, "In case some people assume I am trying to get knocked up as soon as possible" is referring to your own understanding or perception of what asap means.

1 hour ago, Nora S said:

ASAP means " as soon as POSSIBLE". In my first post I said asap meaning as soon as it was deemed to be POSSIBLE by my dr and gynae and not literally immediately this very minute to get pregnant irresponsibly.

I did say I was going to meet my dr for his evaluation of my weight loss. Meaning pregnancy is still being discussed and not a clearance for me to get pregnant.

However, after reading a couple of your responses, I guess you comprehended my "asap" as literally this very day to conceive.

Hence my sentence, "In case some people assume I am trying to get knocked up as soon as possible" is referring to your own understanding or perception of what asap means.

Yes, I considered your as soon as possible to mean... as soon as possible in relation to before a year seen as that was what the post was about. Everyone came along after you had explained a million things, and then your angry I took your post for the actual words used. It is not assuming actually taking the words you used into consideration lol. At the time you posted you were not aware of all the risk people have mentioned so its not farfetched that I thought you meant now:blink: Have a lovely day.

Edited by dreamingsmall

Is there anyone who got pregnant before the recommended 12-18 mths post op?
Due to my age, 36 this year i hope to start getting pregnant asap. I was sleeved on July 2017.
i have consulted my dr abt this and i will see him in January 2018 to see if my weight stabilizes.
I would like to check how is your experience in getting pregnant before 12 mths.
Thanks!
VSG on 25 July 2017

I'm so sorry that you received such a rude obnoxious comment - she tends to be a troll on most posts!

I'm also a mom of 2, and I asked my surgeon about falling pregnant after surgery and I was told I could after 6 months. Not that I'm going to try yet, but I did ask.

Nothing is wrong with finding out what's best for you! You get all the medical advice and advice from others on here because that's your right. Don't bother about the judgmental comments.

I wish you all the best and pray that in time you will conceive. God willing!

3 hours ago, Nora S said:

I think you made a great suggestion with getting the eggs tested and getting it frozen!
Will check that information with my gynae!

Sorry to hear abt the 2 miscarriages and I can only imagine how awful it is. my sister in law had 2 miscarriage too and a friend of mine had 3 with the last one being pregnant with triplets. Im sure what I see them go thru is just a fraction of what they are feeling.

May I check if your miscarriage was before or after your wls (assuming you had wls) and if the miscarriage was because pregnancy too early after ur wls?

My miscarriages were both prior to my WLS and were my 2 successful pregnancies. My OB felt as though my pregnancy issues were actually do to my high weight at the time, I was almost 300 pounds. I'm only currently 9.5 months post op VSG now.

My miscarriages were both prior to my WLS and were my 2 successful !!!pregnancies. My OB felt as though my pregnancy issues were actually do to my high weight at the time, I was almost 300 pounds. I'm only currently 9.5 months post op VSG now.

Sorry for your miscarriages and hope you get a successful pregnant one day.

if that's you in your profile pic, you look great !!!!

I'm so sorry that you received such a rude obnoxious comment - she tends to be a troll on most posts!

I'm also a mom of 2, and I asked my surgeon about falling pregnant after surgery and I was told I could after 6 months. Not that I'm going to try yet, but I did ask.

Nothing is wrong with finding out what's best for you! You get all the medical advice and advice from others on here because that's your right. Don't bother about the judgmental comments.

I wish you all the best and pray that in time you will conceive. God willing!

6 mths is kinda fast but you must be doing great for your dr to suggest that!

Thanks for your comments and letting me know abt the troll!

We shall see when I will get pregnant Thanks for the encouragement!

14 hours ago, Nora S said:

Sorry for your miscarriages and hope you get a successful pregnant one day.

if that's you in your profile pic, you look great !!!!

Thank you for the support. I have actually had 2 successful pregnancies in between my 2 loss' so I am blessed with a beautiful son and daughter. I've decided not to have anymore children though because the loss' were just to much and having to have surgery (D&Cs) after the miscarriages was hard on my body.

That is me in the profile picture, that was actually back in June. Thank you for your kind words. I still see the old me (300+ pounds) so it's nice to get compliments for sure.