Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time off from work RNY vs Sleeve

Hey all. I just got insurance approval for RNY. Yah!! At the time I started this process One month ago I was unemployed and ready to go for surgery. I start my new office job at a school next week and am now unsure how I can make this happen.

Now I'm worried about the timing of surgery. I would most likely try to schedule right before a long weekend or Holiday weekend and maybe take a few sick days.

I have also been on the fence about RNY and Sleeve immediate and long term complications.

Also, I'm concerned about spending too much time in the bathroom at work after all of this. Committing Diarrhea etc.

Can someone tell me their experience with returning to work and dealing with other issues during the day.

I really don't know now if I should choose one surgery over another for recovery time, etc...

Or if I should hold off completely until the end of the school year.

I was off two weeks, and when I first returned from work I was still pretty sore and got tired easily. I found that as long as I didn't have to be overly active (desk job), I was fine. The bathroom wasn't a huge deal because you don't eat much at first (little intake = little output). For me, the bathroom issue came later when I started exploring new foods and especially foods I shouldn't have been eating anyway (high sugar, etc.).

I was off two weeks, and when I first returned from work I was still pretty sore and got tired easily. I found that as long as I didn't have to be overly active (desk job), I was fine. The bathroom wasn't a huge deal because you don't eat much at first (little intake = little output). For me, the bathroom issue came later when I started exploring new foods and especially foods I shouldn't have been eating anyway (high sugar, etc.).

Gotcha. Did you Sleeve or RNY?

I'm a sped teacher. Had my surgery 8/21. By the following Monday (1 week) I felt like I hadn't even had surgery. I went back Wednesday and Thursday this week for teachers only and just brought my puréed food and Water to school- i walked away from the welcome back luncheon and didn't peek at what was served. Kids start 9/5 and I think I'll be fine. For the first 4 days post op it was hard to get up and out of sitting and lying but by day 5 it was fine. I suggest you remember to walk around a bit during the day at work. Good luck.

1 hour ago, AvrilMarie said:

Gotcha. Did you Sleeve or RNY?

RNY

I was sleeved. I took 2 weeks off, although I could have gotten away with returning to work in 1 week because I sat behind a desk most of my shift.

My pain was gone in 4 days. Diarrhea and loose stools weren't an issue for me.

I was sleeved and took a month off and am very happy I did. When I tried to get out and move around, I was so fatigued and lacked so much energy. My Dr. said I could take up to a month and I did. lol

I think for most people following surgery, fatigue is the biggest issue when it comes to going back to work. If you are relatively young and healthy, it may be less of a problem than for someone with age/other health issues. No matter what, try to build in little breaks if possible. Even 10 minutes of quiet with your feet up and your eyes closed can have a restorative effect. And it's really important to be able to keep hydrated!

most people take two weeks off, regardless of surgery. Some are OK going back after a week, some need three. I honestly don't think the type of surgery has anything to do with it - it's more the anesthesia, your body healing, and the very low intake of calories those first few weeks.

Constipation is WAY more common than diarrhea with both surgeries.

I agree with catwoman7. I took 2 weeks and then I worked from home for most of the third week. I mostly sit at a desk but donuse mass transit to get to and from work. I was very tired and frequently needed a nap week 3 and 4. Once I got back on real food I finally started to have energy again...at week 6. Right after surgery and during liquid stage having frequent urination and Constipation was more common. I was off the pain drugs around day 3 or 4. Getting up and down from a chair was doable but I felt like I had the ab workout of a lifetime in terms of discomfort.

Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

I took 2 weeks off and I think that was perfect. The 2nd week was more about mastering getting my fluids in and trying to get the Constipation issue solved. The first week back was tiring the first couple of days, but after that no problem at all.