Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Foods Haven't You Given Up Yet?

Last night after work I went home and did what has now become a ritual.

I made a cracker with chunky Peanut Butter and strawberry preserves.

I know I am not supposed to do this - but this one thing feels like something I am going to hold on to, to keep, like a little prize for all the other things I didn't do earlier in the day and the other things I did do that I am supposed to do.

Now, there have been some changes - instead of a full sandwich I use a very low carb wafer. And I measure the peanut butter out at 20 grams and I now splurge on this very high preserves that are made from these very tiny strawberries in the pacific northwest, etc.

But it got me wondering - what are others holding on to and why do we hold on to it? Truthfully I have the same physical satiety if I ate some carrots or had a Protein Shake or a couple slices of chicken. And I have to admit, I am torn over this PBJ cracker!

Last night after work I went home and did what has now become a ritual.

I made a cracker with chunky Peanut Butter and strawberry preserves.

I know I am not supposed to do this - but this one thing feels like something I am going to hold on to, to keep, like a little prize for all the other things I didn't do earlier in the day and the other things I did do that I am supposed to do.

Now, there have been some changes - instead of a full sandwich I use a very low carb wafer. And I measure the peanut butter out at 20 grams and I now splurge on this very high preserves that are made from these very tiny strawberries in the pacific northwest, etc.

But it got me wondering - what are others holding on to and why do we hold on to it? Truthfully I have the same physical satiety if I ate some carrots or had a Protein Shake or a couple slices of chicken. And I have to admit, I am torn over this PBJ cracker!

Unfortunately, I do not feel like I can trust myself at this point to limit myself to a single splurge item. If I allow myself to have one cracker with PB&J (which is one of my weaknesses, by the way!) it will lead to ten of them every night. That being said, I think that if you can control yourself and stick to this one indulgence there is nothing wrong with that. For food addicts/portion dysphorics like myself, it seems like a slippery slope.

I have 1/4 C mint chocolate chip Breyers ice cream. Sometimes I have it every day, sometimes I don't have it for weeks on end. That's 75 cal and 9 g of sugar. Before the surgery I would eat a whole pint of haagen das Peanut Butter chocolate ice cream. But I also added in extra exercise every time if you have it. I already exercise at least an hour and a half a day, if I have the ice cream I add an extra 15 to 20.

Try not to think of this type of eating as some type of 'reward', food is not a prize. It is meant to be enjoyed for sure, but the mindset about being 'good' or 'bad' means you are giving food power. That is a mind game you are playing with yourself.

Plan it into your meals and just make it part of your food plan if you must.

I still eat regular Peanut Butter on a regular basis. I usually just take a teaspoon and eat it straight but when I feel like I need a boost I have my PB. I used to drink a lot of soda and when I needed a boost I'd just have a coke. While PB has no caffeine, obviously, the sugar and Protein give me a little blood sugar boost. It was actually at the suggestion of my NUT because I was having issues with low blood sugar especially after working out.

Try not to think of this type of eating as some type of 'reward', food is not a prize. It is meant to be enjoyed for sure, but the mindset about being 'good' or 'bad' means you are giving food power. That is a mind game you are playing with yourself.
Plan it into your meals and just make it part of your food plan if you must.

This is great advice!! Thank you!

Hi i am allowed crackers and see no issue with penut butter so what you had does not sound bad lol

tried pb on a spoon used to love it made me gag 7 weeks out

14 hours ago, Sullie06 said:

I still eat regular Peanut Butter on a regular basis. I usually just take a teaspoon and eat it straight but when I feel like I need a boost I have my PB. I used to drink a lot of soda and when I needed a boost I'd just have a coke. While PB has no caffeine, obviously, the sugar and Protein give me a little blood sugar boost. It was actually at the suggestion of my NUT because I was having issues with low blood sugar especially after working out.

I just found the little packets of high Protein Peanut Butter. Made with whey protein so each packet has 12g protein. Perfect for the car, even on a hot day. There is a tiny bit of honey in there but it's low carb. Peanut butter is allowed by my nutritionist.

To answer the original question, I've been eating 1-2 oz of granola lately with an oz of milk on it. I made the granola myself from oats and seeds. There is only one fruit, dried cherries, and not very many, but it is so good. I think it helps against constipatin because low carb doesn't give enough Fiber.

One other thing I haven't given up yet - I have gotten rid of MOST processed foods from my diet. However, AMERICAN cheese slices are still in.

This weekend I had grass fed, organic 90% lean ground beef. I weighed it into 3 oz patties and made 5 for the week. The quality of the beef was fantastic - and what did I top it with? Half a slice of American cheese :-)

But it's really amazing to think about what I have given up - bread (MAJOR TRIGGER FOOD), rice, Pasta, sweets, chips - no problem.

I don't have an issue with it - I just think it's kind of comical what has stayed in the diet.