Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have my surgery scheduled for 8/24. My BMI is 36+. I met with my surgeon last week and asked what my goal weight is. She said for my height The charts say I should weigh 135 which we both agree is unrealistic. So I said what's the goal? She said I don't give my patients a "goal" weight. I just expect that they will lose about 40-50% of the excess weight within the first year. So that means about 50lbs. Which would put me at 180ish. Boy that is depressing. All this for 50lbs. That would still give me a BMI of 28.6. I was hoping to work down to 160-150 to try to get to a BMI under 25! Anyone else have this issue???

50 minutes ago, lk2813 said:

I was hoping to work down to 160-150 to try to get to a BMI under 25! Anyone else have this issue???

I set my own goal weight...my starting weight on surgery day was 218 lbs and a 41 BMI.

I'm vertically challenged at only 5'1", so I'm short. My original goal weight was 110 lbs and a 20 BMI, but since I was losing so slowly, I readjusted my expectations at 3 months out.

My revised goal weight was 130 pounds, which placed me at a BMI of 24.7 (upper limit of normal). I reached 130 pounds at 14 months out and decided to keep going.

I entered maintenance at 118 pounds and a BMI of 22. Not only do I like how I look and feel at this weight, but it's been easy to maintain.

The moral of the story: you'll need to devote additional effort if you want to get to 135 pounds, but it is possible in spite of what your surgeon says.

Good luck to you. :)

My husband and I were talking about this today. I have more of a goal shape rather than a goal weight. If I have to pick a weight I'm going with the weight I was at 18 years ago, before I got pregnant with my youngest. That number is still too high according to the incredibly antiquated BMI charts but I was in the best physical shape of my adult life at that time. I was toned, looked good in clothes, and was wearing a size of clothing that made me happy. That shape is my goal.

I have my surgery scheduled for 8/24. My BMI is 36+. I met with my surgeon last week and asked what my goal weight is. She said for my height The charts say I should weigh 135 which we both agree is unrealistic. So I said what's the goal? She said I don't give my patients a "goal" weight. I just expect that they will lose about 40-50% of the excess weight within the first year. So that means about 50lbs. Which would put me at 180ish. Boy that is depressing. All this for 50lbs[emoji27]. That would still give me a BMI of 28.6. I was hoping to work down to 160-150 to try to get to a BMI under 25! Anyone else have this issue???

I had LapBand in 2009 and went from a BMI of about 39 (about 280lbs) down to a BMI of about 25 (about 180lbs). I looked great with that BMI and was also fine at about 28-29 BMI.

Don't fixate too much an the final weight or BMI till you get there. Everybody is a little different. Also, don't read too much into what they say statistically people will lose. You are an individual and have the potential to lose 100% of the excess weight.

I have my surgery scheduled for 8/24. My BMI is 36+. I met with my surgeon last week and asked what my goal weight is. She said for my height The charts say I should weigh 135 which we both agree is unrealistic. So I said what's the goal? She said I don't give my patients a "goal" weight. I just expect that they will lose about 40-50% of the excess weight within the first year. So that means about 50lbs. Which would put me at 180ish. Boy that is depressing. All this for 50lbs[emoji27]. That would still give me a BMI of 28.6. I was hoping to work down to 160-150 to try to get to a BMI under 25! Anyone else have this issue???

I had LapBand in 2009 and went from a BMI of about 39 (about 280lbs) down to a BMI of about 25 (about 180lbs). I looked great with that BMI and was also fine at about 28-29 BMI.

Don't fixate too much an the final weight or BMI till you get there. Everybody is a little different. Also, don't read too much into what they say statistically people will lose. You are an individual and have the potential to lose 100% of the excess weight.

I am glad to read these posts because my hubby and I also had this discussion. I am 4'11" so that makes me in the vertically challenged group also. My doctor asked me what my goal weight is and I said 120 and he said that was not unreasonable. I think more than the 120 is the weight my body "likes". That would be the weight where my blood pressure is normal, my type 2 diabetes is in check, my fatty liver is gone, and sleep apnea is hopefully gone also. I don't want to be a walking stroke waiting to happen anyday at just 43 years old. If I am 130 and those things are in check then that is ok with me also. I hope as I lose that I can be more active and not have as much pain in my back. I exercise now but I hope to pick it up more as I lose and then I might shape into something better than what I have now. What would stink is if I lost down to 130 and I could not get under 130 and I still have an ill body.

Reading these posts reminds me not to fixate on that 120 number.