Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hair loss after surgery

I should resign myself to being bald after my operation then. Because I truly have 1/3 to 1/2 my Hair loss just from menopause and hormones messed up. I can give all kinds of tips for hiding big parts and making hair appear fuller. I've been taking B's and Biotin for years but upped my Biotin uptake at least a year ago. I have been taking Healthy Skin & Nails by Pro Caps Labs for at least 6 months. I "think" it's slowed down my hair loss. I still lose alot but maybe not so much. Again I am PRE sleeve so mine is hormonal. And after sleeve it could be too, I don't know. There is 4000 mcg of Biotin in this product, 10 mg of Silicon, 152 mg of Gelatin and 20 mg of branched chain amino acids along with a host of other Vitamins, b's, d, a etc. It;s not the cheapest product out there. You can get on their website or Amazon. Probably other places, I never looked. I think I will research how much biotin is too much. Maybe I will double my dose of these. UGH on the hair loss!!

When did Hair loss start for most of you? I was sleeved 6/27 so I am just 8 weeks out and 43 pounds down but haven't noticed any significant change in hair loss yet but i know I don't get enough Protein, only 45-65 g a day

When did Hair loss start for most of you? I was sleeved 6/27 so I am just 8 weeks out and 43 pounds down but haven't noticed any significant change in hair loss yet but i know I don't get enough Protein, only 45-65 g a day

Mine started at about 9-10 weeks. I am now at 13 weeks and the hair loss is pretty bad. Luckily I had a lot of hair but I'm very concerned about how my hair will look if this continues until my weight "stabilizes." I take Biotin and silica supplements, to no avail so far.

At about 3 months post-op I began losing large clumps of hair. My surgeon said it can last between 3-6 months. Once it starts there is not much you can do besides riding it out because once it starts it's not going to stop till it's done. I mean taking Biotin and using shampoo's like Nioxin will make you feel better like you're being proactive about it but to be honest I don't feel like it's changed or stopped it for me. I'm about 4 months since the Hair loss began and I feel like it is finally over. I can shower again without clogging the drain with hair. My hair thinned out a lot. But I can tell that I have a lot of baby hairs and it's starting to grow back in, finally. It is hard to go through the hair loss. I tried to act like I was okay and not make a big deal about it. however, deep down I was very stressed about it. Unfortunately, it's just something that some of us have to go through and you're not alone. Everyone I've spoken to about this says it will grow back. The downside for me is I noticed mine is growing back in with a lot of grey:(.

Biotin doesn't sit well with some people. It will make your nails stronger, my eye lashes look amazing now since taking it lol, but I don't think it did anything to slow or stop my hair loss, what it will do is help my new hair grow back in strong and healthy and a bit faster. But biotin can make all your hair, like your body hair come in stronger too so just be aware. It also gives some people bad acne. But if it doesn't affect you in a poor way then it's worth taking it.

six months since gastric sleeve and Hair loss is alot. Does anyone have any suggestions to help this. I have started taking gummy vitamins with biotin

Everyone I have talked to said it is from lack of Protein. I did a little research on YouTube and one lady said she started doing protein treatments on her hair and it stopped the breakage. So, prior to my surgery I talked to a hair stylist who specializes in the health of the hair and she said protein treatments. I started them prior to my surgery in hopes of saving my hair.

1 minute ago, Hopefull2017 said:

Everyone I have talked to said it is from lack of Protein. I did a little research on YouTube and one lady said she started doing Protein treatments on her hair and it stopped the breakage. So, prior to my surgery I talked to a hair stylist who specializes in the health of the hair and she said protein treatments. I started them prior to my surgery in hopes of saving my hair.

what are protein treatments? what does it consist of? I'm terrified because I've lost 1/3 of my hair due to hormonal issues. I can't imagine after sleeve surgery. With people saying they lost 1/3 to 1/2 their hair! I will try anything at this point.

six month as still losing hair on a regular basis. It getting so I am afraid to brush my hair. I have oily hair so I have to wash every day and this is when I have the most Hair loss and with the brushing it still comes out even if I do it four or five times a day. Very frustrating. I don't want to by expensive Shampoo that don't work anyway. So i am just taking Biotin gummies and shampoo and conditioner that I found in Walmart for $10.00 a bottle with biotin. I hope this end soon

mine started about at four weeks and still coming out:angry:

what are Protein treatments? what does it consist of? I'm terrified because I've lost 1/3 of my hair due to hormonal issues. I can't imagine after sleeve surgery. With people saying they lost 1/3 to 1/2 their hair! I will try anything at this point.

Below is the link to the YouTube video I watched where she talks about the protein treatment. A protein treatment is a product you can buy at a beauty supply house, Walmart, Target or Sephora. I hope this help. I haven't made it to that stage yet but I am very nervous about it. Let me know how it goes.

22 minutes ago, Hopefull2017 said:

Below is the link to the YouTube video I watched where she talks about the Protein treatment. A protein treatment is a product you can buy at a beauty supply house, Walmart, Target or Sephora. I hope this help. I haven't made it to that stage yet but I am very nervous about it. Let me know how it goes.

I think I will try it due to the reviewers saying it helps with dry hair. There are almost 1000 reviews. I did not even read half of them but I betcha I read through 50. None that I read said it would help grow hair or help keep hair from falling out. It makes your hair more manageable and helps with frizz and dry hair. I cannot tell you the products that I already use so that I am never pulling on my hair while combing, drying it or shampooing, rinsing it. I wash my hair 2x a week most of the time. I mostly air dry and rarely use dryer and even more rarely use curling Iron. So I'm very careful with what little I have. I'm 56 and I have hormonal Hair loss. Pre-sleeve so I'll do what I can before the sleeve. I put in my body every day, hair skin and nails Vitamins, extra Biotin, B complex, extra B -12, multi Vitamin, Calcium, Vit D and marine peptides. So I'll try this to make my dry hair softer, shinier, more manageable. but I don't think it will help with loss. I'll report back but it will be several weeks as I only wash and mess with my hair 2x a week. I will also bring it to my hairdresser next time I go and get her take on it. Thanks for posting this product.

What is everyone doing when their hair is thin? Does it show less with a shorter haircut?

I think I will try it due to the reviewers saying it helps with dry hair. There are almost 1000 reviews. I did not even read half of them but I betcha I read through 50. None that I read said it would help grow hair or help keep hair from falling out. It makes your hair more manageable and helps with frizz and dry hair. I cannot tell you the products that I already use so that I am never pulling on my hair while combing, drying it or shampooing, rinsing it. I wash my hair 2x a week most of the time. I mostly air dry and rarely use dryer and even more rarely use curling Iron. So I'm very careful with what little I have. I'm 56 and I have hormonal Hair loss. Pre-sleeve so I'll do what I can before the sleeve. I put in my body every day, hair skin and nails Vitamins, extra Biotin, B complex, extra B -12, multi Vitamin, Calcium, Vit D and marine peptides. So I'll try this to make my dry hair softer, shinier, more manageable. but I don't think it will help with loss. I'll report back but it will be several weeks as I only wash and mess with my hair 2x a week. I will also bring it to my hairdresser next time I go and get her take on it. Thanks for posting this product.

You're more than welcome. There is another product you can get at Sally's beauty supply name aphogee two step Protein treatment to help prevent hair breakage. I used it a couple years ago when I over processed my hair. I don't know if they have changed it or not but I didn't like the smell and the way it made my hair feel but I worked. Google it and see what you think. I am African American and my hair stylist said letting the hair air dry is not good but she didn't elaborate as to why.

What is everyone doing when their hair is thin? Does it show less with a shorter haircut?

I was just thinking this. If I lose too much hair (and I don't have a lot to start with) I'm gonna try and pull off a pixie cut

Lord, I look like dog poo with short hair!!!! I pray it doesn't come to a pixie cut and I have dark hair and my scalp shows through some now (pre-op).

Peppermint oil is supposed to stimulate the hair follicles to cycle through the active and dormant phases faster - some study I can't remember where I read it - said it works as well as rogaine.