Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jealous of others on here

Yes, I also prefer to use the term diet the same way as applies to wild animals. "The squirrel's diet consists of nuts and gazelles" etc.

What kind of scary ass squirrels live near you?

This. And it's exactly why I offered a different opinion on this. One size does not fit all and I firmly believe that we can learn to trust our bodies again and treat them as a friend and ally - not as a treachery enemy that needs to be watched like a hawk and fought all the time. Life's too short to be at constant battle.

No need for hard feelings, folks.

No hard feelings, for sure. But what you said was

"This line makes me cringe. I think mistrusting our bodies and not listening to them got us to 300 lbs or more."

And I was just clarifying no need to cringe. Your story may be that your weight came from not listening but that's not everyone's story.

The problem is I usually hear "don't diet, listen to your body" from newly post ops. And many of us can't do YET. Not newly post op. After we spend some time doing things we know we should and relearning then maybe we can hear the messages that will lead us down a healthy path. And some of us never will be able to. Some of us have screwy messages and need to eat with our heads and be led with the thinking part, our brains.

[mention=194772]jess9395[/mention] You are reading me like a book. Thanks for the psychoanalysis over the internet... save me huge $ on my therapy bills... smh...
I didn't share my story because no one really cares. But everyone seems to have their own judgmental opinions on something that is super individual and personal.
But because you seem to continue to comment. I was a healthy muscular 275lb before I hit a mental breakdown and walked into a 3 year depression and ballooned. Those dark years stole a lot of my life. I'm back to a healthy mindset and in trying to match my physical with my mental and emotional state I chose to have the surgery. What you don't know is up here in Canada its a 3-4 year wait to get your first consultation. So I chose Mexico from 2 referrals of the same doctor. It was a great decision and I'm dropping lb's left and right. I have a dietician and a personal trainer set up so I get all the advice I need.
I'm glad you found your success, and I hope for you the best. But please keep your opinions and judgment to yourself.

Mersh,
I wanted to have mine done in Mexico so bad but they don't take my ins. I have a friend that had it there and has had wonderful results. I'm so glad that you have had such good results! Sounds like you've really set out to overcome and accomplish the goals you've set
Congrats

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks for the laugh out loud this morning. I found myself so intrigued by the drama that I think I just lost 30 minutes of work related time. I can see the message boards may be more problematic for me than the actual eating part post surgery - that is a joke, I think. Lord, please let that be a joke.

I totally got the sarcasm right off. Although, I did imagine a surgeon and a patient fighting with knives for a moment. Like some super ninja moves and then he gutted you. LOL So morbid. Sorry.

So, I can see why you might feel jealous. Like when you see someone else's body is more offended by food than your own then you are thinking - great, why can't my body reject things a little? I have not had surgery yet but I hope my body rejects a little more than I am rejecting on my own right now because the surgery isn't a cure all - it is a tool. I can also see some (er a lot) of it is mind over matter.

For instance, I love diet mountain dew. LOVE IT. ADDICTED TO IT. MY BODY DOES NOT NEED IT TO LIVE but my mind craves it. I have got it cut down to to one a day from something like 6 a day or more. I don't know - I was drinking Big Gulps like they were going out of style. My boss pays for my food when I am in the "field" so now he is going to save a lot of money on big gulps now that I am having surgery. He may be paying for expensive waters instead, lol. I have upped my Water intake. It has been a mental thing but I hope after surgery that if I decide to drink a sip of diet and get sick then I will be thankful. I would rather be forced into quitting than just doing it on my own mentally - hopefully the physical reaction deters me also. Like we are hoping that there is an actual physical change. But what if my body does not reject diet mountain dew?? ACK! Then I am going to be cussing up a storm because I literally have to mentally say good bye to it without the physical reaction.

Another instance, that if you can step out side the box for a moment with me is that I love sugar. I especially love birthday cake and ice cream and there are a lot of birthdays in this family haha! Since I am type 2 diabetic, without insulin, if I eat the cake then I am "sugar drunk." Sugar drunk is an awful feeling of high blood sugar, racing heart, dead tired, dragging my feet, don't want to move but yet I can't sleep. While my mother is over there eating all the cake she wants and shoots up with insulin afterwards. I am a little jealous. I don't want to be on insulin but sometimes I wish I had insulin. I am jealous of people who can tolerate cake. I have to skip the cake, be sad in my mind, mourn the loss of my cake because my body will reject it and I have to work and be a productive member of society not sugar drunk. lol Ok, my point is that I get it. You want that physical reaction and rejection to take place to help you in your mental state - not saying that you can't do it, just that you are saying you really have to rely on the mental factor. I get the feed back from my body telling me NO CAKE, C1NDY, not today, sister. You are saying you are jealous of that feeling in others when they eat. In the same way I understand the mourn of making the mental decision not to eat something that I *can* tolerate.

Did I even make sense? Sometimes I can't type what I am thinking.

Physical reaction + mental reaction = yay

Mental reaction - physical reaction = dannnng it

I dunno, talk to me after surgery, then I might be able to make a better equation to what you are saying.

You got this, you really are not eating too much and it sounds like you get a lot of Protein, and you take it one mental step at a time if you are not getting the physical reaction. You test it out and learn, right?

@2newdreams Thanks! Yea, in Canada the insurance game is a 3-4 year process. And I couldn't be bothered to wait for my health. Mexico was great and it only cost me around $6000 USD when the smoked cleared. Which isn't much considering some pay 3 times that in some cases.

Good luck to you and your journey as well!

@c1ndy HAHA! Glad someone gets me...

So a couple things I think you'll find, because it seems to be the same regardless of the person with WLS. Carbonation is no longer your friend. At least for the first number of months. The gas you will experience with a smaller stomach will be so uncomfortable that you wont have any issue giving it up. I enjoyed diet coke or whatever as well and now, even though there are days where I would love just a sip, I know it would force me on my back for a hour if I did. Not worth it.

Water needs to become your new go-to. Some do the flavored stuff, I hear that it can cause stalls, so I would suggest adding some lemon if anything.

I get the sugar thing, I was lucky enough not to have diabetes pre-surgery, but one thing I have read and heard is the surgery does fight it for so many to the point that it disappears. I hope for you to be one of those. That would be amazing, no?

Like you said, the biggest hurdles are the mental game. Especially when you get into normal foods again, choosing the right foods, finding your boundaries with food, finding your meals that you enjoy that fill you up for longer. Not eating too fast...(I'm still learning this daily), learning to chew and not worry about keeping pace. The surgery will change the way you eat and how you eat around people is interesting.

For example I went to a wedding at week 4 post op. Knowing that I could only eat the smallest amount, I still grabbed a full plate at the buffet to hold appearances. Its no ones business but mine and my wife. I spent the majority of the time talking with my friends over zoning in on the food. Pre-surgery I would have had a couple plates and then felt overstuffed. Now, I picked around my food and only ate bits and pieces of what I really really wanted to put in my mouth. It was amazing and interesting because your mindset completely changes. I then spent the rest of the night dancing with my wife and feeling pretty accomplished about my new me.

All in all, I think you have it down as far as what I was getting at regarding the physical not matching my mental reactions. It could be completely different for you. I've said all along that this isnt a black and white, one size fits all situation. Luckily, I feel really good so far about everything. I'm 64lbs down from my starting weight which was 8 weeks ago or so. Lost count.

Good luck to you and your journey.

M

@Mersh I noticed that earlier that you are down a lot so that is something to really be excited about. You are down what I need to lose. You are down half of a short chick. You can look at it that way. lol

I like Water, which is good, but I can see how I could potentially get really tired of it if it is not winter. It gets hot in the summer so it is not a problem to down a bunch of water. Of course, downing water and sipping water are different and I am having trouble remembering to sip my water. That may be self-correcting like the soda.

And the eating too fast. Oh my goodness, I come from a family that eats so fast and I wonder how many years I embarrassed myself before I realized it was abnormal lol! However, even toning that down has been hard - but it is something I have been working on.

Chewing, also a problem previously has become better since I had my gallbladder out a few years ago, for some reason my stomach does not empty or break the food down like it used to so not to be so bloated I now chew the hell out of my food.

Carbonation + WLS = a sad C1ndy I will remember that lol!

@c1ndy Yep! I'm pretty stoked on my progress so far. Lots to go though. Only about 25% of the way there. Yea, I can't wait until I can say I loss the equivalent of a whole fat guy though. HAH!

The whole sipping Water thing is tough. For me I used to be able to down galons no issue, usually in a couple sittings. But now its hard to even hit my goal of not dehydrating. I'm glad my job has me either driving farm machinery or at a desk so I can keep water close by.

Sad cindy won't worry too much once she starts dropping the lb's.. trust me. So worth it

Cindy appreciates the uplift. You will lose a whole man. You are going to have a huge transformation.

:)

Yeah, the Water thing. How does one sip that much water in a day? Maybe that will be my goal today to sip my way through all my water rather than downing it like a fish. Sometimes I find myself downing it out of habit but today I am going to make sure I am double self conscious of it. My job also allows me to have water around me most of the time. You know, trying not to spill it on my computer and what not or in my car. lol I actually bought a water bottle that had a straw and I was stoked about it because it made me sip until I found out I can't drink through a straw after surgery. Then I was sad again, for a moment. I am not sure if all sleeve patients are told not to drink through a straw but I understand that it creates gas and Cindy will be even more sad about gas so no straw for me.

Hahah. The 3rd person talk is great. But yes. Cindy will have to leave straws alone for the first while as well.

LOL!

I wish I had the dumping syndrome instead of the Constipation act[emoji3].

44 minutes ago, Dimples58 said:

I wish I had the dumping syndrome instead of the Constipation act.

Lol you wish you had the dumping were you could just randomly empty your rear end out of no where in your pants infront of people because you ate the wrong thing? lol nah i would take constipation :P

I was too afraid of dying to getting sick to really test my sleeve early on. I live alone far away from friends and family so I had surgery alone and recovered alone.
I am pretty happy that I was so afraid, because by the time I introduced other foods. I had so much success with my weight loss, I wasn't willing to risk it for food.< br> Just because you can tolerate foods, doesn't mean you should try them. You really need to get handle on your cravings because by the time you are 6 months you will be able to eat larger amounts of the foods you shouldn't be eating.
At the 2 year mark I could easily eat 3-4000 calories a day if all I did was sit in the house and munch all day. Large pizza, family size bag of chips, unlimited Cookies. All of that. In a day if all I did was eating. Nothing is going to stop you from eating bad foods but you.

Sounds wise to me

Sent from my XT1575 using BariatricPal mobile app