Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jealous of others on here

The concept of moderation has been lost to us for so long (preop), that without guidelines and parameters telling what moderation IS... of course we're lost!

Yes, very much this. It's like the "listen to your body" thing. Yeah listening to my body got me to near 300lbs.

I'm not on a "diet" not unless you mean "diet" in the sense that the word just means what we eat.

But I learned a whole new way of eating post op. I changed the very fabric my daily intake is made from. Some people may be successful without doing that, but I couldn't have been.

I can eat anything I want. But after retraining myself what I want is.... different.

11 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

Yes, very much this. It's like the "listen to your body" thing. Yeah listening to my body got me to near 300lbs.

This line makes me cringe. I think mistrusting our bodies and not listening to them got us to 300 lbs or more.

Yes, I also prefer to use the term diet the same way as applies to wild animals. "The squirrel's diet consists of nuts and gazelles" etc.

"Watching what you eat" also has various connotations, but basically if you are changing what you eat, rather than how much, it's still the same thing.

Here is the litmus test: if you are presented with a food when you are hungry, and you say "no thank you" because the food doesn't fit into your view of what food you should eat.. then you are, in fact, "watching what you eat".

3 minutes ago, summerset said:

This line makes me cringe. I think mistrusting our bodies and not listening to them got us to 300 lbs or more.

My body rarely gave me signals of satiety. By time I was 8, I weighed almost double a typical kid my age. The overeating had begun before that.. but why? Kids should naturally eat when they are hungry and stop when full. Didn't happen that way for me. (And no history of abuse, so can't pin it on emotional trauma). We never went out for McDonald's either.. homemade meals.. and everyone else was thin.

I remember going to an all you can eat restaurant when I was 5 or 6. It was a special occasion. I ate so much I vomited all over the table. I didn't have an illness.. I just literally ate until I "burst". Why??????

And that's why different things work for different people. And why I say I and ME instead of US and WE.

That may be true for YOU. But it was not true for ME. Our genetics, body chemistry, endocrine system, gut bacteria, history with food, upbringing, mental state, etc etc etc are DIFFERENT. So there is no consistent US/WE.

1 hour ago, Berry78 said:

My body rarely gave me signals of satiety. By time I was 8, I weighed almost double a typical kid my age. The overeating had begun before that.. but why? Kids should naturally eat when they are hungry and stop when full.

They should, but even they don't.

Kids are given food for various reasons, not only when hungry so a lot of them learn at a rather early age not only to eat when hungry (I'm in the same boat).

59 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

That may be true for YOU. But it was not true for ME. Our genetics, body chemistry, endocrine system, gut bacteria, history with food, upbringing, mental state, etc etc etc are DIFFERENT. So there is no consistent US/WE.

I agree with this. We are all so different. I was tall and skinny all of my life. I didn't start gaining weight until about 10 years ago. I could eat anything and I never gained. Something happened to change my endocrine system. I became very insulin resistant and developed hashimotos disease.

My body was still telling me to eat the same and I gained 100 pounds over 8-10 years.

This surgery has taught me proper portions again. I have a second chance at fixing my metabolism and keeping type 2 diabetes in remission. I think animal Protein contributes to type 2 diabetes based on research I have been reading. I am happy to be transitioning to a Whole Foods plant based diet. I think this is the perfect time for me to do this. I am only 11 pounds from my new goal weight of 160.

Everyone needs to find their own sustainable way of eating and exercise. One size does not fit all.

Just now, Apple1 said:

Everyone needs to find their own sustainable way of eating and exercise. One size does not fit all.

This. And it's exactly why I offered a different opinion on this. One size does not fit all and I firmly believe that we can learn to trust our bodies again and treat them as a friend and ally - not as a treachery enemy that needs to be watched like a hawk and fought all the time. Life's too short to be at constant battle.

No need for hard feelings, folks.

1 minute ago, summerset said:

No need for hard feelings, folks.

None at all. I just really understand why some people do not trust their bodies anymore. Maybe that will change with time, but maybe not.

I think it may be possible for me. I do not crave the same types of foods that I used to. I actually believe eliminating most all processed foods is a game changer for me.

I absolutely understand it as well. It only makes me sad that so many people seem to believe that their bodies can't be trusted under any circumstances.

My body gives me many signals and cues - I still continue to ignore too many of them but at least I now know that even a battered body like mine still sends out signals that want to be heard and I don't think that I'm the big exception.

But we have to listen, understand and then finally act on these signals.

Yesterday I came home from a long day at work and a year ago my routine was to pop by a fast food joint for a late dinner. So driving home I had such a craving to hit the wendy's. I didn't. But again the whole listening to your body is decieving because my mind wants to kill me still. Metal game still needs work. Physical game on point right now. Doing my best not to sabotage.

My body rarely gave me signals of satiety. By time I was 8, I weighed almost double a typical kid my age. The overeating had begun before that.. but why? Kids should naturally eat when they are hungry and stop when full. Didn't happen that way for me. (And no history of abuse, so can't pin it on emotional trauma). We never went out for McDonald's either.. homemade meals.. and everyone else was thin.
I remember going to an all you can eat restaurant when I was 5 or 6. It was a special occasion. I ate so much I vomited all over the table. I didn't have an illness.. I just literally ate until I "burst". Why??????

My youngest sound like you. As a baby agree would nurse until she vomited on me. As a child we'd go to the buffet and she vomited on a few occasions. Now as a teen she's struggling to get healthy with low energy, depression, unable to focus and trying to eat right and work out to lose weight. We're seeing several doctors and hopefully we can get her on the right path. She's almost 15 years old.

34 minutes ago, Apple1 said:

Something happened to change my endocrine system. I became very insulin resistant and developed hashimotos disease.

Since you are transitioning to plant-based, I figured I would make sure you research the coorelation between Hashimotos and gluten sensitivity (and soy can be problematic too).

5 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

Since you are transitioning to plant-based, I figured I would make sure you research the coorelation between Hashimotos and gluten sensitivity (and soy can be problematic too).

I have been looking into this, thank you for bringing it up though. Something I found in my research is how low-carb diets can interfere with the T-3 thyroid hormone. I honestly don't think my thyroid is working much at all anymore so i am less worried about soy or even gluten.

I am taking 2.5 grains of armour thyroid medication and I may even have to increase it some more. I will be getting my blood drawn in a couple of weeks. My last blood work my tsh was still too high at 7, so I am hoping it will be lower this time.

13 minutes ago, hmills653 said:

My youngest sound like you...

If you find out anything, I would love to hear it.

I'm 5 months postop, and I love love love how this surgery has taken away that constant need to eat. Sugar and flour don't taste good anymore.. and I'm sure those things were the source of much of my problem.

It was funny. Every now and then, through my life, I would eat what felt like a "perfect" meal that was normal sized and I was satisfied. I never could figure out what was different about those meals.

White rice must have been like poison to me. I could eat literally 3 pounds of the stuff and not be full (as a 16 year old).