Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lacking the motivation to even walk...

The average US female is 5'4".

The average US female weighs 166.2lbs

The average US female consumes 2.5 servings of alcohol a day

The average US female sleeps 6 hours & 41 minutes a day.

The average US female wears a size 16.

The problem with averages is that they are so homogenized that they can no longer be applicable to the individual. Unless you meet all the average statistics spelled out prior to surgery, there is very little chance the average weight loss will be applicable to you as well. Weight loss is strictly a matter of diet. Fitness comes from exercise.

So even if you are not able to work out like some, you will still lose the weight if you stick to the plan provided by your surgeon. Testing your limits or tolerances or experimenting with food and/or alcohol will hamper your progress and could lead to bad habits forming.

Relax, stay the course, and remain vigilant!

@BigViffer lol thanks for the info. Sounds pretty accurate. I don't drink alcohol though. Too scared to since surgery lol. I'm one month post op as of yesterday and I lost almost 20lbs since surgery, the additional 6 lbs was pre-op a day before surgery. 20 lbs seems like the norm for weight loss after one month. I walked a lot this weekend on a mini vacay I took and yesterday even though I got home from work super late and was tired as f*ck I still went for a 30 minute walk. I'm trying, but the weight is barely going down. I just need to be patient. I don't think I'm eating enough either though.

Wake up - on my way to work drink 8 oz of fluids

Get to work - greek yogurt

snack - either spoon of Peanut Butter or a string cheese

lunch - a piece of chicken or Protein Shake

snack - spoon of peanut butter

dinner - yesterday I had a couple pieces of salami and cheese and like 3 olives

I can't eat much more than that...mleh that's pretty bad eating habits huh?

Not really that bad. The salami and Peanut Butter are fat dense, but that is no where near enough to cause a stall. Since you are still so soon post op, I would recommend taking measurements. Measure your arm circumference, neck circumference, tummy and waist circumference separately, then thigh circumference.

Pick a day of the week to do that and do it every week on the same day. That is a better way to track your progress than the scale IMO. It is the one thing I wish I would have done the first year. Those measurements will carry you through the stalls.

4 hours ago, sleevedshereen said:

@BigViffer lol thanks for the info. Sounds pretty accurate. I don't drink alcohol though. Too scared to since surgery lol. I'm one month post op as of yesterday and I lost almost 20lbs since surgery, the additional 6 lbs was pre-op a day before surgery. 20 lbs seems like the norm for weight loss after one month. I walked a lot this weekend on a mini vacay I took and yesterday even though I got home from work super late and was tired as f*ck I still went for a 30 minute walk. I'm trying, but the weight is barely going down. I just need to be patient. I don't think I'm eating enough either though.

Wake up - on my way to work drink 8 oz of fluids

Get to work - greek yogurt

snack - either spoon of Peanut Butter or a string cheese

lunch - a piece of chicken or Protein Shake

snack - spoon of Peanut Butter

dinner - yesterday I had a couple pieces of salami and cheese and like 3 olives

I can't eat much more than that...mleh that's pretty bad eating habits huh?

That's not bad, but can you find some places to slip in some more Protein? The protein and the extra calories it brings may bring your energy level up a bit. What are you drinking on the way to work? Make it a Protein Shake or add some Protein Powder to your coffee/tea/water. Add some powder to your yogurt, drink a glass of Fairlife milk in the afternoon...whatever you can. Nibble on a Protein Bar during the day. It's very hard in the first few months to get the nutrition you need without supplementing, in my experience. And I STILL, over a year later, add a 30g scoop of protein to my coffee every single morning. It's like insurance for the rest of the day for me.

That's not bad, but can you find some places to slip in some more Protein? The protein and the extra calories it brings may bring your energy level up a bit. What are you drinking on the way to work? Make it a Protein Shake or add some protein powder to your coffee/tea/water. Add some powder to your yogurt, drink a glass of Fairlife milk in the afternoon...whatever you can. Nibble on a protein bar during the day. It's very hard in the first few months to get the nutrition you need without supplementing, in my experience. And I STILL, over a year later, add a 30g scoop of protein to my coffee every single morning. It's like insurance for the rest of the day for me.

Thanks for the advice! Instead of Vitamin Water zero on my way to work I'll drink a protein shake! And snack on a protein bar for a snack. Any suggestions for bars?

I would like to see you get a digital kitchen scale (around $20). Get in the habit of weighing everything. A piece of chicken doesn't tell you as much as 2.5oz chicken.

@Berry78 I have a food scale but I'm just so lazy. I need to be better. I'm getting the food scale out today when I get home from work. I usually just eat things that I can look up on my fitness pal because it tells me all the nutritional facts.

Do you think eating the rotisserie chicken from the grocery store is ok? Had it for dinner and again for lunch today...?

22 hours ago, BigViffer said:

Not really that bad. The salami and Peanut Butter are fat dense, but that is no where near enough to cause a stall. Since you are still so soon post op, I would recommend taking measurements. Measure your arm circumference, neck circumference, tummy and waist circumference separately, then thigh circumference.

Pick a day of the week to do that and do it every week on the same day. That is a better way to track your progress than the scale IMO. It is the one thing I wish I would have done the first year. Those measurements will carry you through the stalls.

I know I should've taken my measurements when I started. I regret not doing that. I know I've already gotten smaller. Everyone tells me my arms, face, and body are looking smaller...mleh! lol I didn't even take a before photo because I hated looking at myself in the mirror. Luckily, I have some really freaking unflattering pics of myself a week before surgery haha jk

Sure! Love their chicken! Just don't eat the skin if you want to minimize fat.

@Berry78 ok good lol yeah I don't eat the skin. I was just worried about the amount of sodium in it.

Do you have any suggestions for Protein Bars?

The sooner you get away from Protein Shakes and bars and on to real foods the better. Following your doctor recommendations, incorporate tuna, salmon, ground turkey or chicken. Mix or blend in plain Greek yogurt and spices you enjoy. Beans, eggs, cheese sticks, jerky--there are so many tasty and quick ways to eat Protein. The trouble with powders and bars is they limit your intake of nutrients and they are sweet and encourage thinking about other sweets.

I can't do Protein bars myself, so hopefully someone else can make some suggestions.

As for the salt in the chicken, you do need some salt in your diet, and unless you buy raw chicken that is specifically unsalted, all of it has salt added.

We frequently have trouble getting enough electrolytes, sodium included, so it's something to pay attention to. Ideally you'll want to get 1500mg to 2000mg of sodium a day. Although I admit I dont know how to tell how much sodium is in the chicken... is it labeled?

@JKC2016 I see your point. I had gotten some beef Jerky but it's so salty. I'm also sooo lazy to cook these meats. I eat string cheese and refried Beans though. I should probably make like a bunch of hard boiled eggs so I can eat one during the day for the whole week. I just need to put more effort. I'm just so exhausted after work and school. :( I don't have the will to want to do anything else lol

@Berry78 I looked up the chicken I get and this is the nutrition facts:

How much sugar and carbs and stuff should we be having a day?

I feel so lost about this stuff....my surgeon's office didn't really inform me.

I was only told 60-80 g of Protein and at least 64 oz of fluids

and a post op diet for the first month really...

chicken.jpg

That chicken info sounds good. When you leave the skin off it cuts the fat down at least by half.

Ok, so nutritional goals are tough, since everyone does things a bit differently. A lot of it ends up being oersonal opinion.

Your Protein goal is the same as mine.

Carbs.. it depends on whether you want to be in ketosis. If you don't know what that means, google ketogenic diet.

Personally I don't want to go Keto, so I keep my carbs above 50 (usually 60-70). Anything over 100 isn't as good for weight loss.

Fat.. mine is moderately high. I eat 2 servings of full fat dairy and a serving of nuts, and whatever fat that comes in the meat. A teaspoon of olive oil on spinach, and a bit of butter to cook my egg.

Altogether I'm getting 1200-1300 calories a day.