Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I read this on other blogs and posts when I've asked for advice about STOPPING the weight loss...

"I wish I had that problem"

This is not something I would wish on people I don't like, never mind folks with whom this journey has been shared (all of you here and on other sites). The decision to have VSG was a sound decision I made with my PCP, my husband, my family.

After my VSG there were all the usual adjustments and new learnings; How to manage on such a small amount of food, how to choose the right foods and to eat the Protein first, remembering to take my Vitamins, dealing with Hair loss and dry skin, managing the mind-f*$# of stalls, and powering through each and every new challenge as it presented itself. I did it. I came out the back end of that in a comfortable and appropriate size 10. I started in a size 24. I wasn't too thin, I wasn't too gaunt, and I wasn't overly concerned about how others felt. I felt good, and looked good.

I then met with a plastic surgeon and had a full belt-lipectomy and mastopexy. The excess skin is gone, the tummy is tucked, the girls are reset back to early 1993. My clothes fit, I have a closet full of great clothes, some designer because well... I can buy them and fit them off the shelf. But now... They are all too big. My tailoring bill is going to be extortion assuming I need only do that once.

So that "problem" people think they want....

• I have GERD so bad that I'm on to my third thoracic surgeon to see if we can find a solution to the acid that is burning holes in my esophagus.
  • I can not eat more than 2-3 oz at a time still. I'm 16 months out and my stomach never did 'relax' or 'stretch' or whatever it does for people who can eat more than they could 3 weeks after having their stomach cut out.
  • My surgeon did a scope of my esophagus and stomach and couldn't turn the camera to look the way back up because my stomach is still way too small.
  • I am NEVER hungry and eating is a pain in the backside since I seem to need to eat all day long just to get enough calories in to not drop weight.
  • I have no fat left to cannibalize to stay alive.
  • I lost 3 lbs this week.
  • I can't exercise since I can't eat enough calories to do that healthfully.
  • I can't eat chocolate, caffeine, or high sugars or anything that triggers acid but could help with the calorie intake.
  • My vitamins make me nauseous regardless of when I take them.
  • I have to track everything I eat and hope at the end of the day that I've had enough (rarely the case)
  • I still can't eat and drink together for the pain.

My husband is worried. My family is worried. I look in the mirror and don't recognize the skeleton looking back at me.

I know how to diet. Hell, we ALL know how to restrict our calories/carbs/fats/sugars or whatever diet du jour we were all on. I do not know how to eat to maintain when I have neither the appetite or the capacity to eat.

So tell me I'm not the only one in this position. I'd love to find some folks going through the same, or who have gone through something similar and can offer advice on how to deal, maintain, STRETCH my stomach? I'm open to other ideas. This is not somewhere I thought I'd be. I am one of the very small percentage who have not had an increase in capacity since the day of surgery.

This sounds horrible :( I hope they find a solution for you. Stay strong! Only suggestion I can think of is a type of drink they give to people with anorexia. It's very high in calories and nutrients. Obviously not implying you have anorexia, but it could help! I don't know what it's called though so you'd have to ask your doctor.

Sent from my LG-H850 using BariatricPal mobile app

4 hours ago, Supernovae said:

Only suggestion I can think of is a type of drink they give to people with anorexia. It's very high in calories and nutrients.

Med Pass 2.0 has 480 calories per 8 Fluid ounces. It's what they give anorexics and elderly nursing facility residents to help them gain weight and become more nutritionally stable.

http://www.hormelhealthlabs.com/product-support/product-protocols/med-pass

As others have said, drink your calories. Make Protein Shakes with half and half or even whipping cream. fruit smoothies. Frappucinos.

You said you were a 10 and were happy there and now you're smaller, but how small? Sometimes our bodies have different plans than we do. I lost down to a 4. Wasn't my plan, it was my body's. My stomach never went much behind 2-3 oz capacity either. Which was fine with me.

16 months is still early in the scheme of things. Often our bodies will lose to a point and then naturally gain a bit after hitting a low. Happened to me. I'm still a size four, but about two years out, after my plastics, I gained back about 10lbs from bottom without changing much. And now I sit right there easily.

You won't keep losing forever. Your body just isn't "there" yet.

Ditto what others said about drinking calories. The GERD is definitely an issue. Might have to revise to a bypass, but see if drinking 3000cal a day doesn't slow the losses in the meantime.

Try smoothies based on potatoes if sugar doesn't work. Sweet potatoes in a creamy milky base with cinnamon and nutmeg sounds pretty good.

Thinned cream of wheat will help get some grains on board.

Gosh almighty I hate saying this to someone but, maybe you need to up your fat intake? I know that might stir your GERD but that's really the only advice I have for you. I'm so sorry you are miserable. Please get a hold of your surgeon and demand help.

Revision to bypass to resolve your GERD really might be something you need to consider. I still have very serious restriction at 7 years out. Two meatballs and a quarter cup of veggies, a couple bites of carb. Tonight I had chicken - I couldn't eat a quarter of a b/s breast, and I had a quarter cup veg, and 3 bites of rice. I stay 116-118 pounds and don't go lower by eating from the time I get up until I go to bed, mainly Protein, but carbs, too, as I like.

You need easy to consume calories, earlier posts are spot on. If sugars flare your GERD, Soups are an option, and add unflavored protein if you can tolerate it. I'd be drinking as many calories as you can until you can find a solution.

I'm so sorry you find yourself in this situation. And I'm so sorry you haven't found support. I really recommend you meet with your original surgeon, if possible. A revision, due to your very troublesome GERD, might not be your favorite idea, but it might drastically improve your quality of life.

Be well,

Cheri

I know it's hard not to stress about it, but honestly, don't stress. Like what was said above, drink your calories and more fat in the form of Peanut Butter, avocados and even use butter to cook with. And get that GERD taken care of!

More than likely, a couple years from now you'll be looking back fondly on this period of weight loss when you're having to watch every bite you eat because the scale seems to want to go up inexplicably. Our bodies are constantly fighting us to get fat again once we hit maintenance.

Believe me, you won't waste away. Hope you can figure out a happy medium!

The only advice I have is to get a meditation dvd and ise it to relax and practice breathing to bring some peace for your stress. I hope you find some solutions here that work for you.