Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am so nervous to go under anesthesia during surgery. Can anyone tell me their experience the day of surgery. I am freaking out about the worst possible things. Like what if I feel what going on or when are they putting me to sleep in the operating room will I see everything they will use??? I am just freaking out. If anyone can tell me how they were put out and how long did the procedure take? How was it like for you. I have a few weeks left and I am going nuts and nauseous thinking about it

I've always been put out quickly and painlessly. Outside the surgery room, and they just have you count to 10 or take a few deep breaths (if the med is in the oxygen). Easier than falling asleep after Thanksgiving dinner ;)

Try to take some deep breathes and relax! You must believe and trust everything will be great ❤️ I did the same thing and then I realized I must relax and let go of the fear 👍👍 You will be just fine and all will go great! The only thing I hated about waking up after surgery was how tired I was. Seriously no pain at all. Just tiirreeddd. You will be out of it before the surgery starts. You won't even care about what's about to happen. I promise you will be so loopy and then fall asleep 👍👍 as long as you trust your surgeon you have absolutely nothing to worry about! I hope this helps! And best of luck to you

It's understandable that you're scared. For me, and I've had five surgeries, every single time they put a mask over my mouth and nose and say something like count backwards or goodnight and bam I'm out. I wake up and it's like no time has passed. I'm a little disoriented when I wake up but quickly realize where I am. The pain and nausea varied depending on the surgery. Tell them if you have either and they take care of it immediately.
I'm guessing you've never had anesthesia? Honestly, for me, its never been a big deal but it still makes me nervous just because it's all out of my control.

I was nervous just like you. Before they took me to the surgery room they gave me a pill to swallow. I don't know what it was. I was so out of it before we got there that I think I fell asleep on my own.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I was so nervous. I have the worst fear of surgery and going under. The day of surgery, I was in the bed having panic attack after panic attack. I was crying so much. When it was time for me to go back, the anesthesiologist came in with a syringe of stuff to calm me. He injected it straight into the oven in my wrist. I remember thinking that my husband hadn't said bye yet and I went to turn to look at him, and I remember nothing else. I don't know if he said bye. Then I was waking up. I wasn't sure what happened. I didn't remember that I was having surgery. After a while, I remembered. When I started to feel the pain. I was out of it for a good while. They told my husband that it would be about an hour before I got to my room. It ended up being around 3-4 hours. Because I was so out of it. I could hear them talking to me and to each other, but I just wasn't responding to them. I then started asking them about things they had said before and they set up the pain medicine pump and sent me to my room.
If you have a pain pump, be sure to utilize it when you are awake. I was so in and out, that I'd forget to push the button and it would result in me being in terrible pain.
Anyways. This was my second time having anesthesia and both times went well, I suppose. The first time I had it, they brought me into a room and had me count backwards. This time was a lot better, because I have no recollection of going into the room. But the panic attacks weren't so fun. I think back and tell myself that I shouldn't have panicked so much and it would have been easier on me, but I don't think I could have not panicked. Lol.
Best of luck to you! You will do great!

I was pretty calm in pre-op given the fact I work in healthcare and in the hospital daily (not the hospital where I had surgery though). Also, the anesthesiologist called me the night before to touch base as well.

When I arrived at hospital they took me back to the pre-op holding area (my hospital had private rooms) where I changed into bear hugger gown (they blow warm air through it), got my IV (the nurse got it on first stick!), and waited.

My surgeon came in and met my dad who was with me and made sure I didn't have any new questions, then shortly after the anesthesiologist came in with the OR nurse to get me. They both were really nice and he reviewed with me what would happen and then me being medical asked more about specific meds haha. It was then time to head to the OR.

I can honestly say it was one of the best anesthesia experiences I have had. I don't recall them taking my gurney down the hallway or moving over to the OR table (I usually do in my prior surgeries). I do remember my surgeon coming over and just saying "all set?".

I also don't remember anything from recovery. My memory of waking up was in my private hospital room. They had at some point taken off the bear hugger and put me in a very large bariatric gown (it wrapped around me 2-3x). The nurse was checking my pain level (never over a 7/10 and addressed relatively quickly) and if I had nausea (I didn't but they were giving me zofran scheduled). I am not sure exactly how long but I dozed in an out for a few hours likely before getting up and walking. The first walk I was a little lightheaded so it was a short walk but after that I walked every 1-2 hours without any issues. The rest of the evening I was still drowsy but I was able to facetime with some friends and had a few visitors come too.