Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Requesting time off for surgery?

Hi, all!

I'm new to bariatric pal and my consult is August 2. I will be setting a tentative surgery date along with scheduling tests my doctor requires. I've been educating myself on bariatric surgery and gathering information for a few months now. I'm still deciding between the gastric sleeve procedure or gastric bypass.

I'm a patient care technician and I started my job back in April. I don't plan on having my surgery earlier than December, but I'm worried that requesting time off for an "elective" surgery would make me look like a bad employee. I also will only have 6 PTO (I work 9 days in a two week period) days saved by then and I'm sure I'll need at least 2 weeks off. My benefits are through this employer, so I want to stay in good standing and honestly? I really love my job.

I believe the most time off I will need is 3 weeks. I hope to go back in 2 weeks and light duty for 1 week.

Do you guys think my employer will have an issue with requesting time off for an elective surgery? Could I lose my benefits if I'm missing those three PTO days? How do I go about this process? I just don't even know where to start.

Could you do it right before christmas or New Years and use some of that holiday towards your recovery? I bet a lot of people go on vacation around that time too, so it wouldn't be unheard of.

Did you tell them what you were having done? You could just let them know you are having surgery. And maybe if you need more days than you've accumulated you can take unpaid leave?

Since I work on the computer from home, I'm not planning on taking any time off. I told my supervisor I may end up taking 1-3 sick days (or perhaps half days) but planning to be fully back by Thursday and my Dr was supportive. I didnt't have to do that, but I have so many things going on at work and I feel like it'll be a good distraction for me.

I know your situation is different, and I have no idea how the recovery time for bypass is different. But I hope you'll recover quickly and that your job will be understanding about it!

Sounds like you have a great set up there! Congrats on your surgery!!!

I looked more into policies for taking time off. I can apply for short term disability as long as my doctor is supportive of that decision. It has to be deemed "medically necessary" though. Which, if insurance and my surgeon both approve this surgery, shouldn't really be an issue... I'm hoping.

It looks like a lot of people fill out their forms and put abdominal surgery. I work for a big hospital, so I was thinking I could just be direct with HR about my surgery, but less direct with my manager.

My plan is to take it during my school winter break, which is unfortunately during the holidays. I hate doing that because I know that's when everyone else also wants to go on vacation too, but I might not have a choice... Another option might be during Thanksgiving break from school, which is my holiday off, but it might be too short notice.

Thanks so much for your help!

By law, you don't have to tell them what type of surgery it is. Although you call it elective, it is still considered a medical necessity by most states and most insurance companies. If your insurance covers it, than it is not "elective". I agree that scheduling it to coincide with normal holidays would be helpful (if you get holidays off). I know many that only take a week off, so if your job is not super physical, you might not need the extra time (with the sleeve). Gastric bypass is more complicate and a slightly longer recovery (my mom had bypass)

If your employer is big enough to fall under the federal guidelines, you would be able to file for FMLA, Family Medical Leave Act, which guarantees up to 12 weeks off in a 12 month period for a qualifying condition (personal surgery would be). It is independent of any sick leave you may have, so whether it becomes paid or unpaid would depend on those benefits. They can't fire you for using it and must return you to the same position when you return.

I was able to get 3 weeks off on short-term disability no problem. A medical procedure is considered a fine basis for short-term disability as long as your doctor signs off, which I'm sure he has before (it's pretty standard.)

I was in a very similar situation so I'll tell you my story.

I had to go through a six month weight loss program prior to surgery. I started that program with my former employer. I was only at my current company about 2 months when I went out for surgery.

I did not tell anyone in advance what I was doing. When I got my official surgery date (about 1-2 weeks in advance) I told my boss I had to go out on leave for a medical procedure for about 3 weeks. I did not say anything about what I was having done just that it was routine, I would be back to normal quickly and that I shouldn't need to take any other time off. I still haven't told anyone at work why I was out.

However, my company's short term disability insurance needed to know what surgery I was having. I even tried not to tell them but they required it. They approved the disability no problem.

Regarding FMLA, I am not sure you will qualify since you are so new to the company. I am pretty sure I needed to be employed there for a year to qualify.

Finally, just because you could live without the surgery doesn't make it elective.... I like to think of it as preventative. Unless you are so small that the surgery is simply removing vanity weight, it's a necessary medical procedure just like any other.

I hope this helps. Best of luck!!

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app

I am unsure why at your height and weight it is considered elective... Did you have a sleep study? If you turn out to have sleep apnea, which you might, it should not be considered elective. The other issue is if your insurance pays for any weight loss surgery, elective or not.

Good luck. Most bariatric surgeon know how to work with insurance companies, if it is not elective it might make a difference

GrrlAnn, you are correct. There is certain amount of hours you have to have worked in the past year in order to qualify. Sorry for leaving that part out. Most part time hours wouldn't make the cut or new employees like you said.

Your best bet is to talk to someone in your HR department. I work at a hospital and was able to use short term disability. I had to use one week of PTO then got 60% off my pay rate for the remaining time. My employer doors not allow you to come back light duty so I was not allowed to return until after 6 weeks.

I just want to point out that elective surgery is not the same thing as cosmetic surgery. Elective surgery only means that the surgery is non due to a medical emergency and is planned in advance. Most medically necessary surgeries are elective and WLS definitely falls under that category (assuming BMI/co-morbidity requirements). Having a hip replacement, or a hernia repair would also fall under elective surgery. Having WLS gives you just as much right to taking the necessary time off of work to heal as that would :)

I am a physical therapist assistant, and I have a patient load scheduled a month in advance. Year-round I am always fully booked. When I was preparing for surgery I told my employer that I was "having surgery" and that my surgeon insisted on 4 weeks of recovery time because my job is an active one. Legally they can't insist you tell them what surgery you are having. If your surgeon says two, three, four weeks, they can't argue. If you're covered by FMLA by all means apply for that. If you're covered by state disability (I am) then apply for that.

Advocate for yourself. Take care of yourself as if you were one of your patients. Learning to stand up for ourselves and our needs is as important as any of the other changes we have to make in living this post-surgical life. You will be a better employee if you take the time to heal properly.