Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nose piercing and surgery

I have a nipple piercing and this never occurred to me until this moment. Damn it's been 15 years since I got it and I have never taken it out. I do clean it daily when I shower. Damn I may just leave it out afterwards.

On 28.7.2017 at 2:39 PM, Ldyvenus said:

I put mine back in when I got up for my first lap around the room. I don't think they really care about jewellery after you are done with surgery.

Same here. I put my eyebrow and tragus piercing in a day after surgery. Nobody cared.

20 hours ago, Mhy12784 said:

For your own sakes I highly recommend taking them out for the duration of the surgery.

Surgical instruments are more modern these days as well. ;)

They might use some electricity and one should put these metal piercings out.

I work in The medical field and it really depends on the doctor! I have 1/2 plugs ( which will be taken out),a Rook, a forward Helix, a daith, and a nostril. I can put retainers in the nose and the daith. Which retainers will not effect anything and don't cause an issue. I'm not sure who gave an above poster that information. The main concern is while transferring you from operating table to your bed the chance of it snagging. You also need to think of swelling ( rings ), and the loss of jewelry.

The other issue some have thought is the Bovie machine ( most modern OR's use) throwing current causing alternate current causing random Burn sites. This is because of the older system they used to use. But there has never been any such cases with the newer systems! If you have worked in an ED A lot of the times you don't have time to go **** they have an earring in! They stay in and the patient well being is taken care over that regardless.

To sum it up talk to the dr who will be preforming or the Surgical nurse they will let you know! Mine told me to to worry about my earrings! Just take out what I could and leave he two newer ones alone and that's what I will be doing!

Hope this helps

*They told me To not worry about my piercings

6 minutes ago, DarthMaz said:

I work in The medical field and it really depends on the doctor! I have 1/2 plugs ( which will be taken out),a Rook, a forward Helix, a daith, and a nostril. I can put retainers in the nose and the daith. Which retainers will not effect anything and don't cause an issue. I'm not sure who gave an above poster that information. The main concern is while transferring you from operating table to your bed the chance of it snagging. You also need to think of swelling ( rings ), and the loss of jewelry.

The other issue some have thought is the Bovie machine ( most modern OR's use) throwing current causing alternate current causing random Burn sites. This is because of the older system they used to use. But there has never been any such cases with the newer systems! If you have worked in an ED A lot of the times you don't have time to go **** they have an earring in! They stay in and the patient well being is taken care over that regardless.

To sum it up talk to the dr who will be preforming or the Surgical nurse they will let you know! Mine told me to to worry about my earrings! Just take out what I could and leave he two newer ones alone and that's what I will be doing!

Hope this helps

It's up to anesthesia as well, since they are responsible for the patient under (and shortly after) anesthesia. If something has a reaction with cautery, or swelling, or gets caught on a gown the patient should have an injury.

Not to mention as a surgical nurse who regularly assists with bariatric surgery I would prefer all my patients to remove all their jewelry. There's a reason we are forced to make patients sign all kinds of waivers if they keep their jewelry in, and that's because it's an unnecessary risk. And I'd say anesthesia and the nurse will likely care about the jewelry more than the surgeon will

3 minutes ago, Mhy12784 said:

It's up to anesthesia as well, since they are responsible for the patient under (and shortly after) anesthesia. If something has a reaction with cautery, or swelling, or gets caught on a gown the patient should have an injury.

Not to mention as a surgical nurse who regularly assists with bariatric surgery I would prefer all my patients to remove all their jewelry. There's a reason we are forced to make patients sign all kinds of waivers if they keep their jewelry in, and that's because it's an unnecessary risk. And I'd say anesthesia and the nurse will likely care about the jewelry more than the surgeon will

Yup, my surgical nurse said it would be fine! My anesthesiologist said because of the location of my two newer ones that it would be fine!

But as a just in case I have extra retainers! 😊