Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Veterans: What makes you successful long term?

First I want to say that at 2 year currently I don’t consider myself a success because, losing weight is easy, maintaining is the hard part. I really hope that some people that have maintain for some years post here.

Most of the posts from long term WLS patients are about their failures, regain and trying to “get back on the wagon”. We need more positive posts for people that are doing well and enjoying their post-op life.

Hopefully this can be a resource for other people.

• I followed my post-op plan to the letter almost for the first 6 months. I did not heavily experiment, I did not push limits. I did not advance my food stages. This provided a mental reset that completely changed my outlook and relationship with food. The mental reset from following the food stages and changing my relationship with food in the first 6 months was the most valuable experience.
  • I do not feel deprived. I found a way of eating that does not feel like a diet. I can eat food that I enjoy and I still really love and enjoy eating food. Food enriches my life, it doesn’t control my life.
  • Weighing my Food
  • Tracking my Food
  • Weigh myself every morning, record it once a week
  • Staying calorie aware and spending my daily calories like currency
  • Planning for eating out. If I am going to eat out for dinner, I allot extra calories for dinner and cut back on my food earlier in the day. If I eat lunch out then I cut back on dinner.
  • I exceed my initial goal for myself pretty rapidly (250) and I have gone further in my weight loss than I ever dreamed I could when I started this. All the benefits from being so close to a normal BMI motivate me to defend my weight loss diligently. I know the difference between being morbidly obese and just being overweight and being overweight is far more comfortable.

On 7/19/2017 at 0:34 PM, OutsideMatchInside said:

maintaining is the hard part.

hi all

i am proudly telling you that i'm 5 .5 year PO

4.5 years GOAL with my sleeve!!

It's a wonderful feeling:rolleyes: i continue to use

the information i learned as a NEWBIE

especially drinking Water - and protein

i still "usually" use small utensils, small plate

eat slowly, and chew a little at a time.

don't like to go to restaurants any more -

but when i do, i also don't deprive myself.

i ALWAYS ask waiter/waitress for a take

home container when she brings my

food out. immediately put 1/2 away before

i eat. i continue to follow my plan "most" of the

time. i'm not perfect - then again:unsure:

one thing that keeps me at GOAL (2-3) lb

fluctuate - is remembering my past weight,

how unhappy i was,. never will go back

there again!! keep up the good work

you are doing great - i know you will be

a continued success:rolleyes:

congrats and good luck

kathy

I'm 7 years out. I'm 116 pounds. My body picked my goal weight for me and really likes it here, so maintaining is easier than it could be. But I do have rules I live by.

I weigh at least weekly. I do not worry about tiny fluctuations but nip anything out of my maintenance window immediately. Complacency leads to larger regain. I don't avoid food groups, but I do put Protein first. I will usually choose a protein snack. I indulge when I want, because I believe forbidden foods lead to binges. I don't want the yo-yo. It works for me. I never graze. I either portion food out and eat it, or I don't, but no mindless or emotional eating.

I still have a ton of restriction, so maybe that's made my journey easier. And my tastes changed a lot. I don't care for potatoes, or sweets. I can't have milk or eat ice cream due to lactose intolerance. But just being mindful is what keeps me successful. I think before I eat. I don't have to track anymore, it's just second nature. The scale is my tracker. And it hardly moves.

I think this is the ideal. I'm happy, can't complain.

Cheri

I'm three years post surgery and ave maintained a 100 pound weight loss for two years, with a 1- Pound fluctuation either way of the100 pound mark. 3-5ponds up in the winter3-5 pounds down in the summer.
I continue to weigh and measure my food.< br>I eat a moderate amount of carbs .under 150
60-80 grams of protein
And between 1100-1300/1400 calories.

I've been at goal for 3.5 years. I think the key issue for me is continuing to measure and log food and exercise. It keeps me in check. If I go over one day I try to compensate the next day.

When calculating net calories, I can almost predict what my weight will be the next morning.

My plan is to measure and log forever...

Great topic. I'm an oldie lap band. 10 years post wls. Some of us are still around
It is still work I am here to tell you. But life is way easier with a 90 lb loss.
If I'm unmindful.... I can inch up the scale. Then like Kathy said.....It is back to Water and walking and light eating.
I am still so thankful for my tool, But I am arguing with 10 lbs right now. Oh well. Life is still good!!

I'm 3 yrs out, down 130 lbs and maintaining!!

I lost 40 pre op on my own. I think this was key for me. As it helped prove to myself that I was ready and could do this long term.

Like most above, I followed the program to the letter for probably a solid year. That really helped me totally changed my eating habits and it's "just how I eat now" so I don't think I'm on a diet.

I exercised as soon as possible. Walking shot distances at first and adding distance and speed gradually. Now I do 8-10 miles a day 5-6x weekly at a pretty fast pace. Exercise too is just now part of my life. I need it to maintain and feel good.

I still track everything, Eat Protein first, drink all my Water, alcohol only on rare occasions and then one is plenty, and I'm still and hopefully permanently off pop.

I also control the food that enters my house. So I don't keep junk food in the house. I know that isn't realistic for all. But really nobody living in your house is gonna die without junk food. The result, if I need a snack or mental eating...it's still a healthy choice.

I don't deprive or avoid any food group or type. If I want pizza I get it, I make sure it's my favorite (no point eating bad anything) I have a small piece or two and move on. The great thing is a small amount always satisfies me so I don't have to feel guilty. And guilt free pizza tastes soooo much better.

I always say.... the second bit doesn't taste any better than first. (Really think about that) So often one bit of something "bad" takes care of my craving.

I hope this helps a newbie if I can do it anyone can!!!!

Best wishes all

I'm 3 yrs out, down 130 lbs and maintaining!!

I lost 40 pre op on my own. I think this was key for me. As it helped prove to myself that I was ready and could do this long term.

Like most above, I followed the program to the letter for probably a solid year. That really helped me totally changed my eating habits and it's "just how I eat now" so I don't think I'm on a diet.

I exercised as soon as possible. Walking shot distances at first and adding distance and speed gradually. Now I do 8-10 miles a day 5-6x weekly at a pretty fast pace. Exercise too is just now part of my life. I need it to maintain and feel good.

I still track everything, Eat Protein first, drink all my Water, alcohol only on rare occasions and then one is plenty, and I'm still and hopefully permanently off pop.

I also control the food that enters my house. So I don't keep junk food in the house. I know that isn't realistic for all. But really nobody living in your house is gonna die without junk food. The result, if I need a snack or mental eating...it's still a healthy choice.

I don't deprive or avoid any food group or type. If I want pizza I get it, I make sure it's my favorite (no point eating bad anything) I have a small piece or two and move on. The great thing is a small amount always satisfies me so I don't have to feel guilty. And guilt free pizza tastes soooo much better.

I always say.... the second bit doesn't taste any better than first. (Really think about that) So often one bit of something "bad" takes care of my craving.

I hope this helps a newbie if I can do it anyone can!!!!

Best wishes all

I’m the same in regards to what comes into the home. I was relentless with that for the first 3.5 years. Then in the last 6 months things have started to appear in the shopping trolley and now I’m struggling with an 11 pound regain.
I also haven’t weighed or tracked what I’m eating for a few years but that changed yesterday. Trying to get back on track before that 11 turns to 20 or 30

I've been at goal for 3.5 years. I think the key issue for me is continuing to measure and log food and exercise. It keeps me in check. If I go over one day I try to compensate the next day.

When calculating net calories, I can almost predict what my weight will be the next morning.

My plan is to measure and log forever...

How are you able to log? I am so jealous! I start then get all frazzled and stop lol
I’m 3 yrs out and I still attempt it somedays lol

How are you able to log? I am so jealous! I start then get all frazzled and stop lol
I’m 3 yrs out and I still attempt it somedays lol

I use an app on my phone called SparkPeople and use a simple kitchen scale. Since I eat the same Breakfast and Snacks daily I created groups of meals. I probably spend less than 1 minute a day logging.

It’s not for everyone, but I need to do this to maintain control.

On 1/5/2018 at 11:49 AM, Andrew0929 said:

I use an app on my phone called SparkPeople and use a simple kitchen scale. Since I eat the same Breakfast and Snacks daily I created groups of meals. I probably spend less than 1 minute a day logging.

It’s not for everyone, but I need to do this to maintain control.

Agreed. I probably spend less than 30 seconds a meal logging. If you log all the time and you have foods saved it goes really fast.

Everyone is different. I'm on the flip side of the approach. I do not weigh or log my food because for me it brings more focus on food, and focus on restriction. I do not weigh myself because it is just a number and my head goes a little crazy over the numbers.

That being said, I do focus on trying to get 60 g of Protein a day and to avoid snacking. I avoid calorie beverages. I do exercise. I'm basically wearing the same size clothes. Oh sometimes things are little looser or a bit tighter, but my "normal" weight friends go through the same thing.

The difference is I am not the biggest person in the room. If I'm getting stared at it's because I am looking good not huge. I fit wherever I need to go.

In short, I'm focusing on LIFE not weight. I find joy in many things and not just food. I'm four years out. It works.

I’m almost 4 year out and 90% of the time I still eat like I’m 6 months out.
- followed my post op jet to the letter for over a year. That really helped set good new food habits.
- I still track everything I eat mostly to ensure my macros are on point. This is just how I eat now not really a diet.
- I exercise 5-6 days a week, it’s just part of my life now. I still don’t love it but it simply must be done.
- I find I eat even less when I eat out. Probably because I eat faster which makes me full faster.

It’s been a full on lifestyle change for sure. So grateful for the help of the sleeve and I know I couldn’t have done this without it. But as we all know I did the work!! And I continue to do the work everyday with my food choices.

I do find I really can’t eat many calories without gaining weight. So I have to keep it to 1000-1100 cal a day. For me anything more and I’ll gain. To be expected with such a big weight loss my body wants to go back....but with my sleeve I’m in charge now and that’s not happening!!!!

I'm 4 years out also. In complete transparency, I fell off the wagon bad about 16 months out. I went through major life changes (moved, changed job, lost a parent, went back to grad school, graduated and went back AGAIN for a PhD, hubs changed jobs, etc.). Yes, major changes.

When I fell off, it was very gradual and I hardly noticed it until I had regained almost 40 lbs and got some seriously sobering health news last fall. It kicked my butt into gear and I went strict Keto and have lost all of my regain and continue to lose even more.

While I never even reached goal the first time around (I think that I had so much change during my honeymoon phase that I lost focus) I know that at this point I WILL get there and I plan to have my plastics done next year after I graduate for the FINAL time!!!

For me, I don't count macros too closely, I just focus on Protein, Water intake, moving every day, good sleep hygiene, supplements and I TRY to manage my stress so cortisol doesn't go sky high (I get serious belly gain when my cortisol goes up, and I have it clinically monitored every few months).

Yes I fell away, yes I regained, but YES I have figured it out and am making it happen. Even if I'm 4 years post op, I'm proof that it's never too late for anyone!!!