Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NEW to site...going through motions but not sure if I'll have the surgery!

Hi all! Such a great site! I'm 56, I have cml leukemia. My bones hurt like crazy. I'm borderline diabetic. Np still normal. Kinda want to get the surgery before I develop other diseases. I'm confused. Why have surgery if I'm going to have to exercise and watch what I eat, when I can't do that NOW!?? What makes me think I can do it postop? Anybody understand or feel same?

im getting all tests done, met with nutritionist, I meet surgeon and psychiatrist Thursday July 20 (2 days), still need an upper endo preop. Not sure which surgery to get...vsg or ds?? Anybody, any advice?? Many many thanks!!

I'm confused. Why have surgery if I'm going to have to exercise and watch what I eat, when I can't do that NOW!?? What makes me think I can do it postop?

THIS! [emoji1369]

That question just keeps bouncing around in my head.
I even planned for and started the post-op solid food phase as a practice run and failed miserably on day 2.

I can only hope I don't understand/believe the impact of surgery on the brain/stomach connection and hormone production yet.

More research to do for me...

When this question pops up, I tell people, "you're right!" Diet and exercise WILL drop the pounds, and if you keep it up, they will stay off. Period. It really IS as simple as that. BUT, for a myriad of reasons, some people just can't diet and exercise and stick with it long term.

Dr. Matthew Weiner (bariatric surgeon in Michigan with a helpful youtube channel) feels it is to do with the "set-point theory". When obese people cut calories, their bodies rebel by decreasing the metabolism and increasing hunger to the point that the person just can't stay on his/her diet anymore, and begins eating more, and gaining back. According to him, there ARE those lucky few that seem to be able to diet and exercise, and keep it off without undue hardship, but it's only 5-10% of the population.

The surgery supposedly "resets" the set-point, so now the body feels that it "should" be 100lbs lighter than it currently is. So now the body decreases hunger, increases metabolism, and helps you along.

It's like the difference between paddling a canoe upstream and down. Both ways are possible, it's just MUCH, MUCH easier to go with the flow!

But, what I tell people.. if you haven't tried and failed enough diets to know the truth of these statements, and how they impact you, then please, DON'T get the surgery! Go and find a diet that you feel will do good things for you, and try wholeheartedly to drop the weight. The surgery will still be here if you end up changing your mind. The surgery really should be a last resort. Complications are rare, but real (and can be severe), so you need to be 100% certain this is your only option.

26 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

if you haven't tried and failed enough diets to know the truth of these statements, and how they impact you, then please, DON'T get the surgery! Go and find a diet that you feel will do good things for you, and try wholeheartedly to drop the weight. The surgery will still be here if you end up changing your mind. The surgery really should be a last resort. Complications are rare, but real (and can be severe), so you need to be 100% certain this is your only option.

I second this

Hi everyone. I've lost over 100 lbs twice in my life and at other times have gone cold turkey off coffee, sugar and all carbs except healthy ones. I always wind up gaining it back! I just can't seem to do it this time. I feel like I've gone through so much that I really appreciate now where I was when I lost that last 100 lbs and I almost think that if I could do it again, I'd be VERY very sure not to go backwards...maybe wishful thinking, idk, but what I DO know is at 56 my body just cannot carry this weight any more!!! I'm going to need A TON OF SUPPORT, and I'm hoping this is the place to come for it!! Ty everyone. Blessings to you on your journey!

I feel the exact same way. I just started my 6 month diet and exercise program to qualify for insurance. So far, so good, but have always been able to diet off huge amounts of weight (60 lbs., 95 lbs, 150 lbs) but have gained it back. I feel like the sleeve is my last resort. I weigh over 400 lbs., so it's life or death for me.

Hi everyone. I've lost over 100 lbs twice in my life and at other times have gone cold turkey off coffee, sugar and all carbs except healthy ones. I always wind up gaining it back! I just can't seem to do it this time. I feel like I've gone through so much that I really appreciate now where I was when I lost that last 100 lbs and I almost think that if I could do it again, I'd be VERY very sure not to go backwards...maybe wishful thinking, idk, but what I DO know is at 56 my body just cannot carry this weight any more!!! I'm going to need A TON OF SUPPORT, and I'm hoping this is the place to come for it!! Ty everyone. Blessings to you on your journey!

I can understand your comments in your original post about, if you can't eat right and exercise now what will be the difference. And I can see here in this post that you have lost weight in the past. What that tells me is that you will be successful with weight loss surgery. I was similar to you, I had lost weight in the past successully by myself but never keep it off. The hunger always came back. This time around, I had gastric bypass in October 2016 and I'm down 93 pounds. I'm currently 200 pounds, i've never been this close to onderland before without having to struggle and struggle and struggle and struggle just to maintain where I was. The surgery allows me to eat a small portion, be satisfied and carry-on with the rest of the day. I hardly ever exercise except just staying active with my son. Which is something that I love to be able to do now that I've lost weight. From this point on if I lose anymore weight it will all just be gravy. Because I'm so happy with life right now, more like ecstatic, that I will never go back.
Good luck to you and your journey. If you find a good surgeon with a good support team you will get there.

Hi scooter Byrd and thisisthenewme. Ty for comment and for encouragement.

I wish you both the best! This is hard work, but we can do it with help...surgery! Please keep in touch.