Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 hours ago, bilsk76 said:

I had a vsg revision surgery on July 18th. I had my first surgery 6 years ago and I don't think I was mentally prepared and thought it was the answer and not a tool to a healthier me. I had some stretching in the upper stomach that I got fixed. If I can give any advice, stick to the post op program. I am surprised how many different post op plans there are out there. The one I got has me on clear liquids for 2 weeks with no Protein. I have seen others that have them eating pudding 3 days after surgery. So much different information makes your head spin

agree 100% how different these plans are across the US ! It makes my head spin! whats your thoughts on carbonation? no seltzer right? I wont because my dr said no but on this website i get mixing opinions and thats the one thing ill miss my seltzer lol

agree 100% how different these plans are across the US ! It makes my head spin! whats your thoughts on carbonation? no seltzer right? I wont because my dr said no but on this website i get mixing opinions and thats the one thing ill miss my seltzer lol

I would definitely keep it to a minimal. It is hard to cut it out 100%. I have friends that have gotten the VSG and have been very successful over the years maintaining their weight. They will have a pop or beer every now and then. I am not a big pop drinker but I do like beer. I have a hard time believing that I will never ever have a beer again in my life but I will be limiting myself to one. I would suggest waiting awhile before trying anything carbonated, let you stomach heal.

I've heard that carbonation will stretch your sleeve but I don't know for sure. I watched some YouTube videos and one woman swears it's why she had to have another surgery. I'd just do whatever your doc says.

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 199 GW 135

4 hours ago, Missy161 said:

I've heard that carbonation will stretch your sleeve but I don't know for sure. I watched some YouTube videos and one woman swears it's why she had to have another surgery. I'd just do whatever your doc says.

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 199 GW 135

I've heard this too but also heard that carbonation is fine and it's the empty soda calories they really don't want you consuming since we have such a small area to get in nutrition. My doctor says no carbonation and i'm not a fan of soda so I won't drink it.

How's everyone's 7th day post-op going?

I had some setbacks yesterday and think I totally overdid it by walking around Walmart early in the morning. My sutures are healing beautifully and i'm not even bruised but the large one was aching badly. I slept most of yesterday and was worried that i'd popped a staple because I was dizzy, nauseated, had blurry vision but think i'm just dehydrated. I called my doc's office and i'm actually on full liquids not just clear (YAY) until next Wednesday so i'm stoked to get something else in my belly. Still not doing great with Protein and even the GENEPRO unflavored has a taste that grosses me out. I've been taking most of my fusion bariatric chewables which are totally manageable and quite delicious. I went to lunch today with family at my favorite Puerto Rican restaurant and had to watch everyone eat but I was actually okay. I have no desire for food and sipped Water and talked and laughed and had a great time.

Edited by coyote

I got the sleeve done same day as all of you. I am not sure what is going on as I feel normal now. First 4 days it hurt to drink Water. Now I can gulp it and it won't hurt until the 4 of 5th gulp.

Anyways I am on full Fluid. Milk, pudding, yogurt, apple sauce, juice, cream Soups. I can't wait until next week when I can go on baby food. Or puree foods.

I am having a hard time getting enough liquid in. I feel like all I do is eat and drink. Then my urine is still really really dark. Anyone else.

Has anyone had sex yet? I have a few times. Not sure if that was right of me to do. But hubby was gentle and no pain. So....

Sent from my LG-H831 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi Folks.

I was sleeved 7/17. Just started puree and tried to eat in a restaurant. Tried to puree in my mouth. That didn't work.

I'm having trouble getting Water in.

With you on the GENEPRO I can taste and I'm so tired of it. I'm trying to go fully natural on puréed so I don't have to have shakes. I'm so tired of sickly sweet things. I've always struggled getting enough Protein.

Excited to be on this journey with you all.

Eman

On 7/25/2017 at 4:26 AM, Sassyprassy said:

I got the sleeve done same day as all of you. I am not sure what is going on as I feel normal now. First 4 days it hurt to drink Water. Now I can gulp it and it won't hurt until the 4 of 5th gulp.

Anyways I am on full Fluid. Milk, pudding, yogurt, apple sauce, juice, cream Soups. I can't wait until next week when I can go on baby food. Or puree foods.

I am having a hard time getting enough liquid in. I feel like all I do is eat and drink. Then my urine is still really really dark. Anyone else.

Has anyone had sex yet? I have a few times. Not sure if that was right of me to do. But hubby was gentle and no pain. So....

Sent from my LG-H831 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey sassyprassy! Yes we had sex too! lol it was totally fine! TO get your liquids in take a sippy water bottle, ive bee adding crystal light pure ( i dont like to do aspartame but ill do stevia or just lemons) and walk around with it all day! DO NOT GULP! thats what all my nurses told me, no gulping or staws just take the poland spring sports bottle with the pop up top and sip that slowly all day!

On 7/24/2017 at 3:04 PM, coyote said:

I've heard this too but also heard that carbonation is fine and it's the empty soda calories they really don't want you consuming since we have such a small area to get in nutrition. My doctor says no carbonation and i'm not a fan of soda so I won't drink it.

How's everyone's 7th day post-op going?

I had some setbacks yesterday and think I totally overdid it by walking around Walmart early in the morning. My sutures are healing beautifully and i'm not even bruised but the large one was aching badly. I slept most of yesterday and was worried that i'd popped a staple because I was dizzy, nauseated, had blurry vision but think i'm just dehydrated. I called my doc's office and i'm actually on full liquids not just clear (YAY) until next Wednesday so i'm stoked to get something else in my belly. Still not doing great with Protein and even the GENEPRO unflavored has a taste that grosses me out. I've been taking most of my fusion bariatric chewables which are totally manageable and quite delicious. I went to lunch today with family at my favorite Puerto Rican restaurant and had to watch everyone eat but I was actually okay. I have no desire for food and sipped Water and talked and laughed and had a great time.

Hey Coyote<

How are you feeling TODAY? this is how im getting my 60 grams of Protein in a day now that we can have yogurt. I take my premiere clear protein liquid (put it in the freezer i make it really cold before its frozen) pour it into my poland spring sports bottle with the pop up cap to sip throughout the day)

Then, throughout the day i sip/eat these three items

1. Premiere protein liquid in my poland spring bottle = 20 g protein

2. Oikis tripple 0 greek yogurt = 15 g protein

3. Premier Protein shake (i prefer banana) = 20 g protein.

If im craving something to crunch i suck on a sugar free ice pop and im doing fine! I do have apple sauce in the morning with my crushed meds and if im craving something else i usually go to my V8.

Today is a milestone for me! under 200's i n almost a year ..given Ive only lost 4 lbs since surgery but i Lost 10 before surgery so im a happy camper! going to keep going with the protein :-D

guys if you go out to dinner, just ask for a Soup and sip on it without the chunky items in it, thats what I did last night and I was fine, soup is our savior!

Hi everyone,

Lost 13 lbs first week and now I'm experiencing a stall. I thought it was a little early for that, but I'm trying to stay positive. Anyway, just checking in to see how you all mentally and emotionally handle it when the scale doesn't move. Especially when it's only been a week. Thanks for whatever encouragement you can give!

1 hour ago, woodside said:

Hi everyone,

Lost 13 lbs first week and now I'm experiencing a stall. I thought it was a little early for that, but I'm trying to stay positive. Anyway, just checking in to see how you all mentally and emotionally handle it when the scale doesn't move. Especially when it's only been a week. Thanks for whatever encouragement you can give!

Hi Woodside!

I have also stalled at a 15lb loss since the first week. My thought is that we lose Water weight very quickly, stall, then start to lose fat. I used to have edema very badly in my legs and since I was rolled out of surgery both legs have been normal size. I can finally see the bones in my feet! I'm going to put away the scale for a while and continue with my nutritionist's plan for me. Maybe next month I'll hop on and see how I'm doing.

Happy Thursday, all!

I've had a rough couple of days. Physically I'm healing better and faster than I'd ever imagined. Mentally I'm not doing so well. I've cried a couple of times this week and have wondered what I've done to myself. I've googled "How much will my stomach stretch after I've healed?", "Can I eat normally after VSG?", etc. I reached out to a friend who had a different WLS and she assured me that all of this is very normal, and that I will be able to eat normally but once I get through the first couple of months i definitely won't want my stomach to stretch! My partner is a man who LOVES food and watching him enjoy anything he wants while staying lean really has me in the dumps. But, he's such a great man that when he eats dinner he makes sure that I can't see or smell it because he knows the mental state that I'm in right now.

My nutritionist appointment is on Wednesday but my NUT says I can move to purees on Sunday but I may wait until I talk with her. Right now I can only stomach Light Apple juice in ice and Lipton's chicken Noodle Soup broth with the noodles strained out. I can drink both without issue but the problem is I'm not listening to my belly and stopping when I know I should. For two nights after drinking way too fast/much I had a horrible pressure in my chest that only goes away when I sleep it off overnight. I gotta learn Portion Control and not go overboard.

Coyote,

Thanks so much for your response and also your post. I too, live with a wonderful man who is a food lover. It's one of the things he and I talked about before my surgery. Everything was so food-centric between us. And now it's not. He grilled a steak the other night and it smelled so good. But, with the support of my friends and these groups, I have a place to go to vent. Prior to surgery, I also made a promise to myself that if I started struggling emotionally (I have depression) I would go back to my counselor. That's always in my back pocket as an option. I think we underestimate the effect of this physical change on our emotional selves. I know I did. Have you tried journaling? I just got a great new journal and am starting to log all of my thoughts and feelings, in addition to my intake and my activity. Best of luck to you!

Hi everyone,

I'm having the same experience. Was 242.5 when they weighed me the morning of surgery (wearing a skort and t-shirt). Last week, it seemed like the pounds flew off. Then, over the weekend, I got stuck at 230.4 exactly. Every morning, I'd get excited to see a 22x number and every morning it's 230.4 ☹️. Yesterday, I even moved and recalibrated my scale because I couldn't believe it.

I'm being lazy today (was out and about from 8am to 9pm yesterday) and haven't showered yet so I haven't weighed myself. At this point, I'm like "eh, it is what it is" so I'm not going to be neurotic about it...much.

Happy Thursday, all!

I've had a rough couple of days. Physically I'm healing better and faster than I'd ever imagined. Mentally I'm not doing so well. I've cried a couple of times this week and have wondered what I've done to myself. I've googled "How much will my stomach stretch after I've healed?", "Can I eat normally after VSG?", etc. I reached out to a friend who had a different WLS and she assured me that all of this is very normal, and that I will be able to eat normally but once I get through the first couple of months i definitely won't want my stomach to stretch! My partner is a man who LOVES food and watching him enjoy anything he wants while staying lean really has me in the dumps. But, he's such a great man that when he eats dinner he makes sure that I can't see or smell it because he knows the mental state that I'm in right now.
My nutritionist appointment is on Wednesday but my NUT says I can move to purees on Sunday but I may wait until I talk with her. Right now I can only stomach Light Apple juice in ice and Lipton's chicken Noodle Soup broth with the noodles strained out. I can drink both without issue but the problem is I'm not listening to my belly and stopping when I know I should. For two nights after drinking way too fast/much I had a horrible pressure in my chest that only goes away when I sleep it off overnight. I gotta learn Portion Control and not go overboard.

I can't speak to the emotional piece as I seem to be ok so far. I'm bracing for week 3 since I've read that that's when it hits for most people. Since it also correlates with when I have to go back to work, I'm sure I will struggle then, even if it's just with the depression and anxiety about going back.

As for overeating (over drinking), I though this suggestion ridiculous, but before my surgery, I bought some smaller dishes and bowls and it really does help. I got 1/2C ramekins and 1C little bowls at Marshalls/TJMaxx and even got a few cocktail forks/demitasse spoons. It really does seem to help. Even if I do end up wanting more, I have to consciously get up and go get it. Otherwise, my old tendency to blindly eat a ton of food without even noticing would easily come back (even the small bowl was too much at first when I stopped paying attention and just started sucking down soup one day).

The small fork and spoon are kind of goofy. Heck, I'd love to eat something that REQUIRES a fork, but again, it helps with the consciousness as much as anything.